Legal Studies Preliminary Assessment HELP! (1 Viewer)

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Hey guys, just wondering if you could help me with this assessment, as it's really getting on my nerves. In the previous one I got 100% and I'd like to maintain that similar trend =) The question is as follows:

Negotiate a group presentation on the topic : "Evaluate the effectiveness of the legal system in balancing legal, moral, religious and ethical duties and rights."

(By negotiation with your teacher this question may discuss the Australian domestic legal system or the international legal system)

Form groups of two/three to research your topic. You will be required to submit a group paper (2/3 pages) Ensure that you do the following:

• Nominate parts for which each individual in your group was responsible by placing your name in brackets at relevant parts of the text.
  • Source and potentially contentious point raised by you in accordance with school guidelines.
  • Include a list of references in a bibilography, including relevant references to statute and case law and any other legal information including media and Internet resources relevant to your topic (I Chose Gay Rights). This is to be done in accordance with school guidelines.
In the course of your answer you should address the following syllabus key questions and issues:

• What are the different types of duty within society?
  • Illustrate the difference between legal and non-legal duties of an individual
  • What is the relationship between rights and duties
  • What is the difference between moral, customary and legal rights
  • Where relevant to your topic additionally:
  • What are the differences between domestic and international duties of government?
  • What are the differences between domestic and international rights
Now, from my understanding, thos key syllabus questions are majorly based on the legal system as a whole, or should I be constantly relating back to my topic on Gay Rights?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! =)

jazzbaby

HSC
I would probably do it on the legal system as a whole..but make sure with your teacher if you are supposed to refer back to your topic in every answer

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Yeah exactly! The other class didn't have to choose a topic at all? But for instance in terms of duties, homosexual individuals have to exemplify the same duties as any other individual. Really the only difference between homosexual rights, is the prohibition of matrimony...

jazzbaby

HSC
well then there you go
lol
you have it figured out :D

if i wasnt studying for my IPT exam i would have been more of a help

good luck anyway

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Try getting access to a Year 12 Legal Studies textbook. A lot of the 'rights' questions are answered there, and should be used as a starting point for your paper.

procrastinatorr

HSC
First of all, you have to consider the key word 'evaluate'. Evaluate generally means to draw upon the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of law. However, don't go overboard with all the legislations/cases/ and etc. The more information you put in may reflect the knowledge you have, however if it doesn't answer the question, then you won't get the mark. good luck :) I know legal essays are so hard, they do my head in LOLS but practice makes perfect. Don't give up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)