legal vs modern history for year 11! (1 Viewer)

cyniczny

HSC
we've submitted our subjects for year 11, but turns out my lines clashed, so i need to pick another subject. my reserves were modern history and legal studies, and both of them work. however, i'm not sure which one to choose. either way, i'll be dropping either halfway through or at the end of year 11 (the only reason i'm taking either is because the school needs me to do 12 units in school as well as the saturday language school - they'll let me drop down to 12 units overall after i get my first report). i like politics, so my first instinct was to go for modern history, but i'm not so sure about how much i'll enjoy it because the first unit we do is on wars, which i don't find as interesting. i really like the legal studies teachers, but i'm less enthusiastic about the content of the first unit (which is just law basics if i remember correctly). so based on the first one or two terms of the preliminary course, should i pick modern history or legal studies?

turtle67

HSC
I was in a similar situation and had to pick between two reserves (biology and modern). At the start I picked biology but changed after 1 lesson lol.

From what I've noticed from legal, it is a lot of content and terms and that sort of stuff to learn. While history does have a lot of content, if you get the general gist of it and extrapolate your knowledge and waffle for a fair bit, and still do alright in exams (this is if you're aiming to do alright, not get like a 95, which requires a fair bit of historical detail, learning facts, essay structures etc.)

What I'm saying is that since it's a reserve unit, you can probably get away with doing less work in modern (that is if you're certain you're not going to keep this reserve unit)

tito981

HSC
I do modern and since year 10 i knew i wanted to drop as soon as i get to yr 12, however, im doing alright in the subject and decided to keep it. All im saying is if you think your half decent at essay writing modern is an easy B6 if you pay attention in class, but even if you want to drop it is pretty easy even with last minute cramming.

jojosiwa123

HSC
modern for sure, it scales better and honestly it's one of those subjects which forces you to learn how to write a proper essay- it gives you skills you can apply to your other subjects too..

beetree1

HSC
I did modern history until year 10 and I dropped it for legal studies. I just personally believe that the legal syllabus is a lot more lenient when it comes to exams and the essays we can get asked are very limited. In Modern I think the concepts are harder to grasp in HSC whereas in legal, the concepts are pretty much mostly based off common sense, so i would recommend legal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)