Lets Talk Topics (1 Viewer)

Barnation

Little Emo Bitch
HSC
I need help! I love the horror genre and plan on writing a short script revolving around that. But I need a research aspect of it.. Anyone got any ideas for a cool plot that could provide me with some interesting research?

If you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours :p

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
The best thing about writing a film script is that you can just watch a bunch of movies for "research". Just figure out what kind of horror you want to write (gothic, serial-killer, supernatural etc.) and hire a bunch of films similar to that and take notes on how tone is established, general conventions, use of sound/lighting/camera, that sort of thing.

Barnation

Little Emo Bitch
HSC
Cool, thanks alot. I'm just still not sure what kind of research my teacher wants me to do. She said something about a historical element. I don't know if that's required; I'll just have to speak to her again. But thanks for your help, Butler. I will most definitely do what you said. :)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
the other thing thats REALLY REALLY good to research is film TECHNIQUES. i'm sure you hear that word ALL the time in advanced and extensions but what makes you film stand out from the crowd is if you pick specific techniques and meaning that you want it to convey. a couple of examples

a direction for a wide angle shot to convey the loneliness, isolation and anxiety of a character

for horror, you could have a few accelerated slow motions to convey a sense of confusion or a sped up montage for the deterioration of the protagonists mind -- pop these into your reflection statement at the end to sound really impressive.

the historical reserach that your teacher spoke of just adds depth to your research -- to demonstrate that you haven't just taken the stereotype and run with it, you've understood where the genre originated, what are its hallmarks, what can be altered or refined to perhaps add a post modernist element etc. the better you understand your concept and your genre, the more in depth a major work you can produce.

i reiterate what i said in the previous thread, if you need any help, please don't hesitate to holler. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)