Leunig Cartoon Analysis (1 Viewer)

xlildanielx

HSC
hello. could someone please hlp me with techniques used in this image or how this image could relate to imaginative journey? any ideas/opinions/thoughts about techniques would really be helpful. thanks =)

Snarkie

HSC
Re: IMAGINATIVE TEXT please help quickly

Well, it can relate to the reflection aspect of an imaginative journey. The guy must be reflecting on his life and this can only be done in your imagination. It definitely relates to The Road Not Taken by Frost and uses the same motif/sustained metaphor of a path for a person's journey through life. It is a visual text so it communicates its message visually with things like symbolism such as the bright light on the other path indicating something better. The small amount text is in 2nd person and this gives it an almost authoritative tone and the repetition of the same words, expect with the addition of "could have" puts an emphasis on the two words and gives it a almost taunting tone.

Those are just my ideas, feel free to disagree with me, but I hope it helped.

xlildanielx

HSC

yea that helpd. couple new points. thanks =)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

Speculation - the responder is forced to diverge off into an imagined journey of speculation as to what "The life you could have led". As mentioned earlier, the bright light suggests that the alternative to their current life is of a more positive or 'brighter' nature.

This text would actually go really well with Led Zeppelin's (/robert plants) song Stairway to Heaven.
Theres the two signs and two opposing lifes, the melancholic tone and reflection demonstrated through the facial expressions. Similarly, the shadow behing the man "shadows taller than our souls" (or it was something similar) can be compared.

Btw, don't take the song for face value. I have a variety of interpretations (one being my farfetched one lol).
The lyrics can be found here if you're interested.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A

Remember to try to search for the more metaphoric meanings in the text rather than superficial analysis at face value. Mix and match, that works well!

And always structure your analysis in the form of techniques, effect and its link back to your thesis.

i.e. "The dark grey colours which define the path of 'the life you lead' impart a sense of stagnancy and blandness to the text, effectively communicating how the well-trodden path is safe yet dull. This is counterpointed by the lighter hues which guide the way to 'the life you could have lead' with its positive connotations of adventure and hope in the processes of speculation. The monochromatic graphic outlines how imaginative journeying and its possibilites can be made available to all. This is represented in the figure of the solitary man centred in the image, highlighting the significance of individual decisions in deciding the paths we carve for ourselves in this world and through life.

In contrast, the long shadows which follow the man in Leunig's comic symbolise the burden we may carry when we reject the imaginative possibilities in our life journey. The pensieve look on the character's face suggests that in hindsight, walking 'the road not taken' may have been a wiser decision than following the traditional course in journeys. This sense of regret is visually represented by the juxtaposition of dark and light areas in the comic, emphasising how the continuous process of journeying can allow us to more effectively respond to the human condition, both the positive and negative ramifications."

In my extempore analysis there i have used two different 'theses' for the two different paragraphs. As you can see, it's very subtle and it is this understated way of presenting your view of journeys (as opposed to crudely stating at the end of each paragraph "therefore this shows that the journey is more important than the arrival") which will give your essay that little ounce of flair!

melrad

HSC
xlildanielx said:
hello. could someone please hlp me with techniques used in this image or how this image could relate to imaginative journey? any ideas/opinions/thoughts about techniques would really be helpful. thanks =)
Hey i was just wondering about the source from which you got your cartoon, so i could possibly find some similar ones.

Thanks

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
I really like this cartoon and want to use it, but am not sure which Coleridge poem/s it relates to best....
any ideas, anyone??

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Does anybody have the bibliographical information for this cartoon? Excellent material for imaginative journeys IMO

aussiechica7

HSC
i thought the austerity of the picture- strong, inorganic straight lines... very little visual contrast except through shading- really highlights the value of the unknown- but it is still an unknown. we don't know anything about this unknown path but that there is light there. look at the expression on the cartoon's face, what is he thinking? (i think interested but resigned). the significance of only a brief window of opportunity by which one might pass through to that other path, etc, etc.

feel free to do whatever you want with those words, i hope they can help somehow

vantz

HSC
hey
im doin an assesment on imaginative journeys and i need to get cartoons / articles / poems and stuff to analyse and relate back to imaginative journeys.. where did you find that cartoon and stuff?
thankss. =]

Joanne W

HSC
Hi Vantz,

Obviously we think very alike, and are not in the same class. Why dont you try Gwen Stefani's/ Akon's new song. Sounds like an imaginative journey to me :) Cya at school

emmd

HSC
this is all perfect for my assesment, which is due tomorrow...

but what is the piece called?!

or where is it from? all of the image links in google came up with errors

bmiller89

HSC
hey, i was considering doing that text but struggled to find techniques. but maybe you could talk about the dark section where he's walking giving it a negative feel and the light path which has connotations like hope and freedom, or maybe about how it's a speculation. sorry i couldn't be more help.
ben

alix was here.

HSC
Hey.
I'm doing The Leunig cartoon for a link to Frost's "the road not taken"
any personal perspectives or opinions from people would be appreciated.
I'm trying to develop my thesis on Imaginative journeys, just wondering if anyone has helpful suggestions.
Thankks. aLix

mike250

HSC
a-m-e-e-e said:
I really like this cartoon and want to use it, but am not sure which Coleridge poem/s it relates to best....
any ideas, anyone??
I think to a certain extent, this image could relate to 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner'. With it's didactic purpose in my we see that the Mariner murders the Albatross and he and his crew is put through absolute hell for it.

This could work thematically in terms of redemption/damnation.

With regards to techniques, in 'Part the First', before the Mariner shoots the Albatross, there is quite a vivid imagery (that continues throughout the poem now that I think about it) about the light from the sun, as representative of God's good graces, Coleridge elaborates on how bright and glorious it is.

This same use of light is seen in the image. The chronological nature of the poem can be seen to reflect the character's walk... somewhat.

It's a polluted stream of consciousness, but I hope this helps :)

mike250

HSC
a-m-e-e-e said:
any ideas, anyone??
I think to a certain extent, this image could relate to 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner'. With it's didactic purpose in my we see that the Mariner murders the Albatross and he and his crew is put through absolute hell for it.

This could work thematically in terms of redemption/damnation.

With regards to techniques, in 'Part the First', before the Mariner shoots the Albatross, there is quite a vivid imagery (that continues throughout the poem now that I think about it) about the light from the sun, as representative of God's good graces, Coleridge elaborates on how bright and glorious it is.

This same use of light is seen in the image. The chronological nature of the poem can be seen to reflect the character's walk... somewhat.

It's a polluted stream of consciousness, but I hope this helps :)

pc4pc

HSC
are leunig's cartoons titled? if so, what's this one?

:?

Stib

HSC
I'd also like to use this cartoon by Leunig but cannot find a title for it. Any ideas?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)