Linguistics Advice (1 Viewer)

witide

HSC
I've done Structure of Language (1001) this semester and have Language in Context down for second semester, but due to complicated reasons I can't do any more than two more junior subjects and don't want to be part-time. Second year Phonology only has 1001 as a prerequisite so I'm guessing I can do that, but would it be advisable with such limited linguistics experience? Discourse Analysis is also a possibility, although the timetable doesn't seem to be very pleasant.

I'll go in to uni and ask, but I figured it can't hurt to ask here as well.

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
I did that. In fact I did Phonology and Syntax in my 2nd sem.

You'll be happy you did that too - opens up more options next year.

spence

HSC
You can try to ask for special permission to do an extra junior subject. I did that and they let me

witide

HSC
I've already done over a year of first year subjects including non-arts, so I think it's best to move on from there.

I did that. In fact I did Phonology and Syntax in my 2nd sem.

You'll be happy you did that too - opens up more options next year.
Thaaaaaank you. Unfortunately Syntax is only offered in first semester this year, but I shall definitely be considering Phonology now.

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
Really? What are the others on offer apart from Discourse Analysis? I know Lang Acq is on offer but that's all I remember. Hopefully going on exchange so actually haven't bothered looking at units and stuff.

I would do Discourse Analysis. It won't be on offer next year.

witide

HSC
Well there's Language Acquisition like you said, and also Computer Applications in Linguistics, but I don't meet pre-requisites for either. I think I'll probably stick with Phonology for now, but thanks a lot for the info!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)