listening task (1 Viewer)

quarkfire

bludger
HSC
N/A
I have a listening task in about a week and I need help!! we have to listen to a war letter and wilfred owen's poem "dulce et decorum est" then write an essay on it. What I don't get is the essay question:

"Identity, explain and assess techniques used within and between each text"

What the HELL does that mean??? I'm freaking out here.. !:(

Ebonics

Hey.. i might be able to help. i did that last year for the first HSC assessment and i got a 12.5/15 which is ok i guess. You should be talking about the tone/pace/emotions (forgot the rest) which are used by the speaker. Also you have to talk about techniques which are used in the poem eg. metaphors, similes, personification etc. Also apart from listing those, you will have to explain how this is relavent to the way the person is reading to the poem and then pass a judgement (that's where the assess bit comes in)

Correct me if im wrong, do you have to listen to 2 versions of the same poem?

Last edited:

quarkfire

bludger
HSC
N/A
ah thanks, that helps a bit :) Actually, since I posted before I have discovered it might not be an essay at all, but a couple of long response questions :( Should I answer them in essay form too? My teacher tells me nothing.

no, we don't listen to 2 different versions, it's only one version.
Also,

Ebonics

I never did mine in essay, but if you have to assess the reading of the poem in pitch tone and stuff and how they are applied in the reading. Also you must make notes on techniques and have supporting quotes and you must be able to explain why they are used not just naming the techniques and quotes.

quarkfire

bludger
HSC
N/A
I just finished doing it today... I guess it was okay. Oddly enough, it had nothing on tone, pitch, etc. but just questions asking what they were talking about, and effectiveness of techniques. There was one 10mark question at the end which I really screwed up on because I ran out of time, but other than that, it was okay :) I'll post again when I get my mark!

Person

one of them
we had a listening task last week too, but we did shoe horn sonata, some class did wilfred owen

damn it was hard im gonna fail bad :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)