Listening Tasks (1 Viewer)

TheHSCLifeChoseMe

HSC
Feeling so bummed out at the moment, no matter how hard I try to listen to answer the question it just is impossible to leave the trench I dug myself in. And not to mention my listening task is coming up in about 2 weeks.

By trench I mean out of 30 possible marks I am getting 17 - 18 every. single.time. I really would like a 23 and or above.

I believe my problems lie around words I've never even heard before along with the difficulty in writing notes and keeping up with what the orator is saying.

Please, do you have any tips on how you do so well in these tests?

P.s. Sorry this may seem like an emotional rant but I really enjoy learning Japanese over the past 2 years, and apparently according to BOS enjoying your subject isn't good enough - you have to do well in it also. I'm just lost at the moment.

youngsky

poof
HSC
Feeling so bummed out at the moment, no matter how hard I try to listen to answer the question it just is impossible to leave the trench I dug myself in. And not to mention my listening task is coming up in about 2 weeks.

By trench I mean out of 30 possible marks I am getting 17 - 18 every. single.time. I really would like a 23 and or above.

I believe my problems lie around words I've never even heard before along with the difficulty in writing notes and keeping up with what the orator is saying.

Please, do you have any tips on how you do so well in these tests?

P.s. Sorry this may seem like an emotional rant but I really enjoy learning Japanese over the past 2 years, and apparently according to BOS enjoying your subject isn't good enough - you have to do well in it also. I'm just lost at the moment.
I think I might know why this might be happening. I also do Japanese, and the listening components were a common issue in my class as well. I think the problem lies partially in you not having familiarised yourself well enough with the listening texts - as in, you may not be very used to the voices and intonations that are used in the HSC. I've been averaging 27-29/30 myself in the listening section, so these tips might just help you.

1. Get a copy of some listening audio material (pm me if you like), and listen to them on loop for about an hour a day/week/etc, so that when you do the exam, your focus can stay SOLELY on the words and meanings that are spoken.

2. If you have a textbook with a listening CD (Wakatta, for example), attempt as many listening exercises as you can. Don't worry too much about the answers themselves, but prioritise instead and try to understand what is actually happening.

3. Every time you come across a word you don't understand, write it down somewhere and compile a list of these words along with their definitions. Another good idea is to use these new words yourself in writing tasks so that you understand their meanings and are able to apply them in conversation.

4. In exam conditions, what I like to do is to read the question first to understand WHAT it is you are looking for. If it asks about advantages/disadvantages of a part time job for example, get those down ASAP before anything else, like the age of a store manager or whatever.
Also, when the 1st reading is played, jot down the keywords/phrases of the passage (and any details if you can) so that an overall picture of the situation can be formed. On 2nd readings, focus on the details you missed (times, dates, etc) and clear those up as succinctly as you can.

TheHSCLifeChoseMe

HSC
You're a legend!

Definitely will incorporate the idea of the 1st reading and 2nd reading strategy. What I find myself doing (after reading you comment) is that upon first reading I try to get everything down - supposedly why I am easily overwhelmed.

Thank you so much! Opened a new perspective for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)