Live away from home money (1 Viewer)

Aaron1911

Full time students that live away from home get some sort of allowance from the government don't they? How much? And how much do my parents have to earn in order for me not to get the allowance?

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
its called youth allowance and your parents cant earn more that $27 - 28k combined. unless you can prove ur indpendant by earning i think $18k within a year or its unreasonable for u to live at home ie parents are abusive ect.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
o_O $27k??

I thought it was $55k, which is a advantage to self employed parents :D

I think is $300 a fortnight (max) about that for allowance & you get about $95 rent assistance a fortnight if your rent is over a certain amount...

Just go to the centrelink website and find out for yourself.

shazabdazla

yeah...max altogether is around 380 a fortnight. (youth all + rent assit.)..would be difficult to manage your (lack of) finances in the city with such expensive rent.....

im not sure about the limit on parents earnings, though.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i think the limit is much lower than $55k, my mum earned $30k this year and i lost my youth allowance. My sis gets it though because she became independant by earning more than $15000 in a year.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
it's definitely too low!! $28ks?? my dad's business makes that in a week in the busy season! that doesn't mean -i- can afford to live on my own...it means they can :p

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah, the system is crap, you cant get money until you have lived away from home for a year and struggled on your own eating rice and brown bread, and then centrelink see you and say "oh yeah, you're poor, we might help you now that you are starving!"

^___^
HSC
just walk into centrelink with some clothes thats like xxxxxxs and like dun shower for 3wks..

that would make them think about giving u some allowance

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Originally posted by ...
just walk into centrelink with some clothes thats like xxxxxxs and like dun shower for 3wks..

that would make them think about giving u some allowance
Doesnt work unfortunately. Ive tried it 5 times now, still not a cent!
Dont worry about youth allowance, just sell your body on friday/saturday nights on the corner!:p

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
If you're already getting Youth Allowance, you can transfer to Away from home allowance, which is $310 (max) a fortnight as long Your Uni is more than 90 minutes away from your primary residence, in one direction, viz the most direct route.. LOL.

And it's not unfair, it's ment for kids who can't be supported by their parents AT ALL.

And the $95 rent assistance - your rent has to be >$300 or so. You must pay more than $90 (or so) a week in order to be eligable, and then, you get about $20..

Ribbon

As above, you can get youth allowence if you have to travel over 1 1/2 hours to get to your place of study from home, if you earn over a certain amount to class yourself as independant. Severe family breakdown or other similar reasons can also justify you getting youth allowence... if your parents kick you out of home, or you fully cannot get along, you live in overcrowded conditions ect. ect. you have to see a social worker (and that worker will talk to your parents or a friend who can support your claim, if you let them, its your decision) who will determine if you are eligable or not (its a once off thing).

Max youth allowence is $310... paying $95 rent a week (which is reasonable share housing price) you should end up with about $400 a fortnight. You also get a healthcare card which reduced the cost of prescription medicines dramatically.

You have to pay at least $80 a fortnight in rent to be eligable for rent assistance. Note also... even if you are not on youth allowence but are a low income earner (I think) you can still get rent assistance and a health care card.

From experience, the max your parents can earn is $40 000 before you loose your youth allowence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)