Looking for solutions (1 Viewer)

HSC
WTF killer paper. I'm up to the inequality with factorials. No idea...The direction doesn't work if you try to sub the equations into each other :(

The Matrix

HSC
Probably the hardest MX2 paper out there.

I'll ask Sean to help me with it when he starts tutoring me harder 4 unit stuff.
I finished all of 4 unit and I think I understand all the content, all I need to work on from now till the HSC is harder 4 unit stuff like questions 7 and 8 (mechanics, harder 3 unit, etc...), hope Sean can help me develop my skills at tackling those badass questions in the HSC. Because I head what differentiate a top and avarage student is questions 7 and 8!

Do you think I should do HSC past papers or trial past papers, I have like 25 HSC once from 1985, I've done like 7 of them only :( I need to do at least 2 papers per day but I'm stuck with this paper, it is extremely hard :(

HSC
If you're stuck just keep moving! Come back to it later.

Don't neglect your other subjects though...doing well in worse-scaling subjects + not amazing at 4u is better than amazing at 4u + crap at worse-scaling. If that made any sense.

HSC
Ok honestly that's the most titf paper. Up to the transformations...They expect you to expand ok no. And the 5 mark WTF. I'm taking a break.

The Matrix

HSC
If you're stuck just keep moving! Come back to it later.

Don't neglect your other subjects though...doing well in worse-scaling subjects + not amazing at 4u is better than amazing at 4u + crap at worse-scaling. If that made any sense.
I divided my holidays into 3 parts, 4 days for MX2, 4 days for chemistry and 4 days for physics. I finished MX2 revision 2 days ago, I did 2 chapters per day and about 25 hard questions for each that cover each chapter. I memorised the first 2 modules of chemistry yesterday and today so I'm doing the remaining 2 modules tomorrow and the day after, then spend the remaining 4 days of the holidays doing the 4 modules of physics. I don't have to study for biology because I don't want it to count for my HSC because it sucks. Also English is easy and 3 unit is a joke so I finished it like 3 months ago.
I'm pretty confident with all my subjects so I want to work more on extension 2. My goal from now till the HSC is to develop my skills at solving questions 7 and 8 by doing as many of them as possible so I think I'll get Sean as a tutor to help me achieving that, hope he replies to my PM.
I really wanna be faster at 4 unit, I'll try to do 2 HSC MX2 papers per day so I can hopefully be eventually able to finish a paper in less than 3 hours. I wanna try and do challenge questions from terry lee and Cambridge as well, the challenge questions are similar to questions 7 and 8 so that could help.
I'm not sure whether I should do only HSC past papers or do trials from other schools but trials usually don't have solution :(

HSC
The earlier HSC's don't have solutions either. The HSC that was for our syllabus was in 1981 IIRC so you can start there. I have done some of them - they are no where as titf as this moriah one... - less titf, harder lol

HSC
Actually Bernoulli Polynomials featured in Sydney Grammar paper - almost the same question but tweaked a little. 1999 SGS - Moriah probably took it from there.

The Matrix

HSC
Actually Bernoulli Polynomials featured in Sydney Grammar paper - almost the same question but tweaked a little. 1999 SGS - Moriah probably took it from there.
Isn't it like a series of polynomials where they are derivatives/primitives of each other?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
The question isn't particularly difficult, but it is a bit tedious.

For simplicity sake, I will call the polynomial f(x) instead of phi(x).

We are given that f(x) is divisible by x^3, meaning it can be expressed in the form f(x) = x^3 ( ax^2 + bx + c )

We are also given that g(x) = f(x) - 1 is divisible by (x-1)^3, so we can say that g(x) = (x-1)^3 (dx^2 + ex + f)

So we have two equations essentially:

Express both (1) and (2) as polynomials of degree 5 by expanding and factorising etc, then equate their coefficients of x^5, x^4, ... , x, then constants.

Then a whole bunch of very basic simultaneous equations will lead you to finding a, b and c, thus finding the polynomial f(x).

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
For part Q3c) since x and y are positive integers and given
x - 1 > y
then
(x - 1)! > y!
Hence
(x - 1)!(x - 1) > y(y!)
x(x - 1)! - (x - 1)! > ((y + 1) - 1)y!
x! - (x - 1)! > (y + 1)! - y!
x! + y! > (x - 1)! + (y + 1)!

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
WTF killer paper. I'm up to the inequality with factorials. No idea...The direction doesn't work if you try to sub the equations into each other :(
Not sure if you ended up solving this but I think this is how you do it:

Divide through by (x-1)!, since we know it must be positive and thus the sign doesn't change:

Now here is where we use the condition they have given:

Re-arranging, we can say:

Now since they are both positive integers, we can say that the minimum difference of 'x' and 'y' is 2. And hence, if we take this minimum difference:

Now on the RHS of our inequality from before, we can say that for a minimum difference between x and y, the following is true:

Substituting this into the RHS makes the RHS = 2.

So we have:

But using the condition:

And the fact that x and y are both positive integers, we can once again use the minimum value of y to be 1, so that:

Substituting this minimum into our inequality gives:

Which holds true if the remaining fraction is greater than 0, which trivially it is given both the numerator and denominator are positive.

So we have proven it true for the minimum difference of x and y, and trivially it must be true for all x and y given that they are positive integers. Actually I might justify why:

We know that the minimum value of x is 2 (shown above), so we can say that the inequality is (without assuming a minimum difference):

Now the fraction in the RHS has a maximum value of 1, which is when there is a minimum difference between x and y. So the RHS has a maximum value of 2. But the LHS has a value of 2 already due to the minimum value of x being 2. And if we add on the fraction in the LHS, then the LHS will exceed the RHS and hence the inequality holds.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
For part Q3c) since x and y are positive integers and given
x - 1 > y
then
(x - 1)! > y!
Hence
(x - 1)!(x - 1) > y(y!)
x(x - 1)! - (x - 1)! > ((y + 1) - 1)y!
x! - (x - 1)! > (y + 1)! - y!
x! + y! > (x - 1)! + (y + 1)!
Or you could do this lol.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Haha poor Realise. I noticed people said 'titf'. What does 'titf' mean?

The Matrix

HSC
Haha poor Realise. I noticed people said 'titf'. What does 'titf' mean?
"Taking It Too Far", makes sense, hehe...
I wanna have a go at this paper when I'm done with chemistry!
Or I think I should do HSC past papers for now since this one doesn't seem to be as relevant to the HSC...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)