Lose a year or gain a year? UWS TO USYD/UMACQ (1 Viewer)

cypriottgall

HSC
Im a first year at UWS doing a Bachelor of Arts/Master of Teaching (Primary), although I'm planning to transfer next year to USYD or UMACQ (whichever one i get into). Ive applied through UAC already, but i cant help thinking if i would have to do a whole year over again or if i would lose a year/semester or something. Would anyone have an idea of what the scenario would be?

Also I have heard that USYD is pretty competitive when it comes to transfers, so I'm guessing it would be better to try and get a high credit/distinction average GPA? My ATAR was average (far from 90.1 thats needed for B Education at USYD, but a lot closer to the 75 needed for UMACQ) i would most likely have to get a distinction average, right?

2012 HSC: Standard English, General Maths, Ancient History, PDHPE, Visual Arts

sghguos

HSC
N/A
maybe you should consider the fact your leaving UWS and think positively

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
urrh shouldnt you be happy your getting out of UWS? urrrh............ I would be so grateful that I am getting out of that .... place
Stop imposing your artificial view on an institution which probably wouldn't accept you i.e. someone who got 6 for his uni test.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Im a first year at UWS doing a Bachelor of Arts/Master of Teaching (Primary), although I'm planning to transfer next year to USYD or UMACQ (whichever one i get into). Ive applied through UAC already, but i cant help thinking if i would have to do a whole year over again or if i would lose a year/semester or something. Would anyone have an idea of what the scenario would be?

Also I have heard that USYD is pretty competitive when it comes to transfers, so I'm guessing it would be better to try and get a high credit/distinction average GPA? My ATAR was average (far from 90.1 thats needed for B Education at USYD, but a lot closer to the 75 needed for UMACQ) i would most likely have to get a distinction average, right?

2012 HSC: Standard English, General Maths, Ancient History, PDHPE, Visual Arts
You can probably get some subjects credited basically means that if you've done a similar subject at UWS, then you might not have to do it again

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Can't hurt to try and maximise your marks! Tertiary marks and ATAR can't really be compared. A credit average translates well into an equivalent ATAR from what I have seen.

On the topic of credit recognition I believe there is a page on the usyd site which will give you an idea of what you will get credit for. Unfortunately Go8 unis are typically pretty harsh with credit recognition for students transferring from non Go8 unis. I'd say you'd have more subjects credited at Mq.

To be honest though, it is just a year which is not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. At either uni I doubt all subjects would be credited which means there is a chance it would take the extra year anyway if you don't plan course progression well.

maybe you should consider the fact your leaving UWS and think positively
Go away.

Jinks

HSC
Can't hurt to try and maximise your marks! Tertiary marks and ATAR can't really be compared. A credit average translates well into an equivalent ATAR from what I have seen.

On the topic of credit recognition I believe there is a page on the usyd site which will give you an idea of what you will get credit for. Unfortunately Go8 unis are typically pretty harsh with credit recognition for students transferring from non Go8 unis. I'd say you'd have more subjects credited at Mq.

To be honest though, it is just a year which is not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. At either uni I doubt all subjects would be credited which means there is a chance it would take the extra year anyway if you don't plan course progression well.
This is going to be the best advice you can receive. Contact each university and have a chat with them directly about credit recognition for the subjects that you have completed, but in the end a year isn't a huge amount of time if you really want to transfer.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi :)

I just transferred from UWS to Macquarie (but in commerce), but hopefully this should help you a little.

All my first year subjects I'd done at UWS I received credit for. (I have a total of 21 credit points or something). After I received this credit, I used it to get exemptions for similar Macquarie subjects. All but one of my UWS subjects were exempted at Macquarie. (and only because of my degree meant I couldn't get the exemption because of professional course/ standards once I graduate)

Because of this 2 step system, even if you don't get an exemption for a similar subject, you still get your subjects reognised as something. If you have leftover credit because there was no exemption, this counts towards any electives you may need to do! And seeing as your looking to do a BArts/Teaching, there are usually a few in there that you can use it on.

Basically, except for the one subject I have to do at Macquarie, I didn't lose any time and I can continue into my second year without too much worry! :D

I'm not sure about USYD, but Macquarie was extremely helpful in answering my questions.

Oh! My ATAR was below the Macquarie cutoff, and my GPA wasn't too flash (more like a pass average?) but I still got into my course which was a 82 ATAR this year. So the requirements may not be as high as you think :p

Good luck to you :)

aslhui

HSC
Hi :)

I just transferred from UWS to Macquarie (but in commerce), but hopefully this should help you a little.

All my first year subjects I'd done at UWS I received credit for. (I have a total of 21 credit points or something). After I received this credit, I used it to get exemptions for similar Macquarie subjects. All but one of my UWS subjects were exempted at Macquarie. (and only because of my degree meant I couldn't get the exemption because of professional course/ standards once I graduate)

Because of this 2 step system, even if you don't get an exemption for a similar subject, you still get your subjects reognised as something. If you have leftover credit because there was no exemption, this counts towards any electives you may need to do! And seeing as your looking to do a BArts/Teaching, there are usually a few in there that you can use it on.

Basically, except for the one subject I have to do at Macquarie, I didn't lose any time and I can continue into my second year without too much worry! :D

I'm not sure about USYD, but Macquarie was extremely helpful in answering my questions.

Oh! My ATAR was below the Macquarie cutoff, and my GPA wasn't too flash (more like a pass average?) but I still got into my course which was a 82 ATAR this year. So the requirements may not be as high as you think :p

Good luck to you :)
HI ilikecats,
I recently got a early offer from mq commerce/law so do you mind telling me what uws commerce units were credited.
They were BAS,principle of marketing,economic principles, accounting for managers,financial accounting application,STATs,business law,management dynamics.

Thanks so much!

Gecko11

HSC
Hi All,

I am in a similar boat myself. I'm currently at University of Canberra doing Economics, just about to finish first year. I want to transfer to Usyd's Economics school. My current GPA is 6.0, unfortunately the admissions staff do not provide much insight as to what results you would need for a piece of mind. Has anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks!

cypriottgall

HSC
Hi All,

I am in a similar boat myself. I'm currently at University of Canberra doing Economics, just about to finish first year. I want to transfer to Usyd's Economics school. My current GPA is 6.0, unfortunately the admissions staff do not provide much insight as to what results you would need for a piece of mind. Has anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks!

You know what, I felt the same when it came to USYD not giving enough info, I think your GPA should be fine! Give it a try and see how you do, but just remember USYD is very competative. To be honest, I think youll do okay:)

I manage to get my second semester results and overall I got 4 passes and a credit (did kind of crappy compared to last semester) so my GPA is a high pass. Hopefully I'll be able to transfer to UMAQ!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)