Low Mark (1 Viewer)

Stompy11

HSC
Hi,

I just got my English marks back today and i did pretty bad. I seriously have tried so many things to get a pretty decent mark (my highest ever in english is 78 in the SC). I take up the feedback of teachers, but by doing this they just yonk at me more feedback and lower or even marks.

I am mainly talking about creative writing and the essay (which I even resulted in consulting my brother who did 4uenglish ranked 2) and got 7/15 and 9/15. I just dont know what to do anymore..... Its not like im stressing about it, i only need 70 uai and 80 for a scholarship but I wanted to do good at least sometime in English. Most times i had back a peice of writing to my current teacher it comes up with some double ticks and ticks and then i try implement it in an exam and turns out to be on the bottom of the stack.

If anyone has time or is graceful enough to read over the response i put into the exam that would be great because what i put there is generally the hardest I can do and even that isnt working (My other subjects ranged from marks of 85-97 so its just English letting me down)

Thanks

lou071

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I just got my English marks back today and i did pretty bad. I seriously have tried so many things to get a pretty decent mark (my highest ever in english is 78 in the SC). I take up the feedback of teachers, but by doing this they just yonk at me more feedback and lower or even marks.

I am mainly talking about creative writing and the essay (which I even resulted in consulting my brother who did 4uenglish ranked 2) and got 7/15 and 9/15. I just dont know what to do anymore..... Its not like im stressing about it, i only need 70 uai and 80 for a scholarship but I wanted to do good at least sometime in English. Most times i had back a peice of writing to my current teacher it comes up with some double ticks and ticks and then i try implement it in an exam and turns out to be on the bottom of the stack.

If anyone has time or is graceful enough to read over the response i put into the exam that would be great because what i put there is generally the hardest I can do and even that isnt working (My other subjects ranged from marks of 85-97 so its just English letting me down)

Thanks
do you have english tutor?
if you don't have, you need to get one.

Stompy11

HSC
I was actually told by teachers not to get one because it doesnt help. I am still tempted to get one though

Rainie

HSC
Practice makes perfect. Do past HSC papers and hone on creative writing I guess. And then let your teachers or brother to look at it and give you feedback. I'm in the same boat as you. I scraped an 80 for English in the SC, probably by fluke. Keep working hard, I know sometimes you feel like giving up. But keep fighting and you'll eventually pull through :)

Good Luck.

lou071

HSC
N/A
I was actually told by teachers not to get one because it doesnt help. I am still tempted to get one though
English tutor helps a lot!!!
I don't know why your teacher told you to not to get one.
seriously, get english tutor. it will improve your english mark a lot.

Stompy11

HSC
Ive been reading essays of the people who got 15/15 and I dont know how they got it. I have only read his introduction so far and it didnt even relate to the question (ill be getting a copy of it tonight so ill read it properly again).

Ill be looking for an english tutor tonight aswell.

lou071

HSC
N/A
Ive been reading essays of the people who got 15/15 and I dont know how they got it. I have only read his introduction so far and it didnt even relate to the question (ill be getting a copy of it tonight so ill read it properly again).

Ill be looking for an english tutor tonight aswell.
what level of english do you do?
english adv?

Stompy11

HSC
Yah I did English advanced because I figured I would learn more with better teachers who teach advance but doesnt seem like the best idea. Its like my teacher (there are 5 classes) is the only one that seems to like my writing style.

lou071

HSC
N/A
Yah I did English advanced because I figured I would learn more with better teachers who teach advance but doesnt seem like the best idea. Its like my teacher (there are 5 classes) is the only one that seems to like my writing style.
you did english adv?
so what level of english do you do now?

Stompy11

HSC
Opps, that was a type I still do english advanced, Ive recently asked by teacher to give me a question a week to answer and then feedback me on it (one question for each part, essay, creative and language) so he will be getting back to me on that one.

That should help a bit hopefully. I am just afraid that my style may get finetuned to his preference rather than that of other teacher.

lou071

HSC
N/A
Opps, that was a type I still do english advanced, Ive recently asked by teacher to give me a question a week to answer and then feedback me on it (one question for each part, essay, creative and language) so he will be getting back to me on that one.

That should help a bit hopefully. I am just afraid that my style may get finetuned to his preference rather than that of other teacher.
i hope it helps you.:)
but seriously get english tutor. it is the source where you will get a lot of help and feedback.

Stompy11

HSC
Hey ill 100% be getting a tutor for English. Thanks :)

Would anyone still like to glance over my essay?

P.S If i did happen to drop to standard (as a lowest note) would I need to read their set text or can i stick to the one i have analysed in advanced?

lou071

HSC
N/A

P.S If i did happen to drop to standard (as a lowest note) would I need to read their set text or can i stick to the one i have analysed in advanced?
the answer the last qn is yes.
and don't drop to standard if you can.

Stompy11

HSC
and don't drop to standard if you can.
Highest mark in advanced was 42/45 and then alot of mid 30's out of 45

Highest in standard was 32/45 which was tad bit higher than mine

But advanced does look better than standard as chances are ill be getting the same mark in both (minor difference). Its just ive been chucking in marks in a calculator (for english only) and marks around 60-70 get scaled down biggggg time

dinopoke

HSC

I would love to have a read of your essay. I seem to be in the same situation as you so I may be able to give some tips on how I'm coping. I have a tutor and I think they are quite useful but not exactly neccesary. It's basically hard work and a lot of practice writing essays that help you improve.

ascentyx

HSC
I was in the same situation as you. Getting poor marks in English and everyone convinced me that i was going to fail. I ended up get a UAI of 95.75 so there is still hope :) I didn't get a tutor though it might be an idea for you to get one.

georgefren

HSC
Don't get an english tutor. theres no need, they cant do anything for you except work on basic things you can get your teacher to help you with.

you shouldnt get under about 17 for an essay if you
A) dissect and analyse the question in the intro
B) proceed to state thesis and then back up thesis with (usually three) points
C) back up points with evidence, linking evidence back to argument
D) show what the significance of this all is, lead conclusion from the points, respond to question/thesis.

its the difference between 17 and 20 thats the really hard work.

Joel8945

HSC
Hi,

Thanks
I really feel your pain!

Last year when I did my VCE (ENTER not UAI) I was going really well in all my subjects but one persistently never worked in my favour...English! I know what you mean with english teachers never actually helping you improve your assessment marks (Ours sort of just stuck with the higher achievers) and my source of finding out how to try and improve was my mentor! English got my potential 94+ ENTER (equivalence to a UAI of 94) and dropped it to 89.45!

I hope that this year goes well for you and that you triumph over english.

guff

HSC
Hi,

Thanks
Hey, I know a guy who's basically in the same boat as you. He was in advanced, and doing just below the eight ball, but doing 4 unit Maths, Chemistry and doing generally well. He dropped to standard, i don't know how it went for him, english just mustn't be his strong point.

I do 4 unit english, and I'll take a quick look at your essay if you want me to... I assume it's the area of study? I probably won't know your text, unless you're luck enough to have done Romulus, My Father.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)