Lycurgan Reforms?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys, are these the lycurgan reforms?? I don't know if there are more..so it'd be great if you guys can help asap, thanks!!:

- Land Allotment/ Redistribution of land
- Gerousia
- Mess Halls/ Syssition
- Agoge (see i'm not sure, but did he reform the Agoge?)
- Banned luxury
- Concept of Homoioi and that children belong to the state-communal parenthood (is that a Lycurgan thing??)

-marilia- xoxo

HSC
Lycurgus

I dont know if this will help its what we were given

Even in ancient times, people were uncertain about whether Lycurgus was one or two people, whether "he was a god or a man" (Plutarch) or whether "he" was a group of people over a period of time. Books aknowledge that we know little about him, but then speak about him as if he were a real person. Archaeological evidence does not support the belief that a definite change occured at any one time. The Spartans worshipped him as a god and this is more important than whether or not he was a real person. Thier history, being oral, could constantly recreate to explain why things were as they were. If his actions were sacred, to change them was an irreligious as thier way of life was divinely sanctioned. The 'myth' of Lycurgus contributed to the stability and lack of change of the society.

Most likely, Spartan society evolved gradually rather than as the deeds of one man as a result of events such as taking over Messenia and the development of the hostile army.

The other thing i wanted to mention is that the Great Rhetra suggests that the government was develpoed over time rather than all at once. This document is missing the Ephors a powerful part of the government.

It is likely that Sparta developed, specifically during the Messanian wars, and years later these changes were attributed to one man, Lycurgus.

I dont know if that helps at all, but i hope so.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
green_appletini said:
Hey guys, are these the lycurgan reforms?? I don't know if there are more..so it'd be great if you guys can help asap, thanks!!:

- Land Allotment/ Redistribution of land
- Gerousia
- Mess Halls/ Syssition
- Agoge (see i'm not sure, but did he reform the Agoge?)
- Banned luxury
- Concept of Homoioi and that children belong to the state-communal parenthood (is that a Lycurgan thing??)

-marilia- xoxo
yeah Lycurgus was given responcibility for developing the agoge system

i dont think there are any more things... off the top of my head i cant think of anything

jimmik

HSC
Jonnieette said:
I dont know if this will help its what we were given

Even in ancient times, people were uncertain about whether Lycurgus was one or two people, whether "he was a god or a man" (Plutarch) or whether "he" was a group of people over a period of time. Books aknowledge that we know little about him, but then speak about him as if he were a real person. Archaeological evidence does not support the belief that a definite change occured at any one time. The Spartans worshipped him as a god and this is more important than whether or not he was a real person. Thier history, being oral, could constantly recreate to explain why things were as they were. If his actions were sacred, to change them was an irreligious as thier way of life was divinely sanctioned. The 'myth' of Lycurgus contributed to the stability and lack of change of the society.

Most likely, Spartan society evolved gradually rather than as the deeds of one man as a result of events such as taking over Messenia and the development of the hostile army.

The other thing i wanted to mention is that the Great Rhetra suggests that the government was develpoed over time rather than all at once. This document is missing the Ephors a powerful part of the government.

It is likely that Sparta developed, specifically during the Messanian wars, and years later these changes were attributed to one man, Lycurgus.

I dont know if that helps at all, but i hope so.
thanks alot

thank u to da_butterfree too, nice summary of the constitution and government

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Just remember there was a hero cult to lycurgos, the same as there was for hellen and almost all famous people like that.

When he brought in the great rhetra it had changes over time, and 130 years later the ephors were brought in, which is speculated.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Yes one source says he reformed the agoge as one of his social reforms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)