Just wondering...
anyone who is going..give me a holla..
im doing journolism...
dont wanna walk into a room and know no1..haha
or whateva
manda

Lexii-

HSC
I was thinking of doing Journalism and then spending the second year doing the Bachelor of Arts, but I don't know what you can major in.. is it possible to major in Politics and Journalism? I was also thinking of going to Notre Dame University because I can do Bachelor of Arts there & major in Politics and Journalism.. Ahh, I don't know. I did a bit of research on Macleay & for the 2 years, it costs around $35000.

Manda.found

HSC
i no its expensive...i just sent the form away to pay if it...but yeah there is fee help and thats good...but i heard ND is good as well...

rawrxx

HSC
I finished my HSC last year and unfortunately opted to work rather than study but after working in an office for quite a while now, I'm keen to study something not related to business and I always wanted to do something to do with the arts so I am considering macleay next year...doiing the bach of arts with the diploma of journalism :)

Manda.found

HSC
well i have read mixed reactions on Macley...but appaertly journo is really really good...

jasond4

HSC
N/A
Anyone doing the sport marketing and management course in 2009??

Has anyone got any feedback/advice on the sport marketing/management course from previous years?

brookeemma

HSC
I'm doing journalism there next year. excited!!
and takes some of the stress off the hsc too :)

ellyschmelly

HSC
Employers in the media industry don't really look at qualifications.

They value experience more than anything else and all the guest speakers that come to Macleay have all said this.

Enrolling at Macleay College is the biggest mistake one could ever make and I regret having stuck it out there for the whole year.

Not only is their program rigid and outdated, but their advertising material and website fail to mention a lot of things, for example:

• No flexibility in their timetables
  • Threatening students all throughout the year - e.g.
    • telling many of us that we will not be able to graduate if we don't get 90% attendance or
    • "you need 80% to pass shorthand otherwise you won't be able to graduate"
  • If you need to take any days off you are required to fill out leave forms and provide medical certificates, there is no room for special circumstances.
    • If there was an assessment on that day and they deem your reason to be away as "not good enough" (which by the way is according to their own standards which they do not disclose), you get marked as zero.
  • High student dropout rate (my class is now down to about 30% from the number that originally enrolled)
  • No monitoring of the actual work done in class time

• There are too many things to list. Students there end up having panic attacks and come away with a lot more problems than what they brought in to begin with.

My advice is that you come and see for yourself by visiting the college. Just go up the lifts, hang around the reception area for 15-30mins and have a wander. Nobody will even notice if you're a student there or not.

Ask the students about what they think of Macleay, listen to them get bullied around by teachers and reception. You can see just how depressing it is there in a matter of minutes and save yourself a year or two of stress.

Last edited by a moderator:

Manda.found

HSC
it sound like my year 11 and 12...dont know if that is good or bad
and i just brought a camera to use next year and getting lessons next month!!

HSC
ellyschmelly said:
  • Threatening students all throughout the year - e.g.
    • telling many of us that we will not be able to graduate if we don't get 90% attendance or
    • "you need 80% to pass shorthand otherwise you won't be able to graduate"
  • If you need to take any days off you are required to fill out leave forms and provide medical certificates, there is no room for special circumstances.
    • If there was an assessment on that day and they deem your reason to be away as "not good enough" (which by the way is according to their own standards which they do not disclose), you get marked as zero.
  • No monitoring of the actual work done in class time
    • Most of the work required is to be done in your own time

• After spending a year at uni doing a BA, those points are actually quite applicable to uni, in that the teachers always stressed that unlike high school, they weren't going to hold our hands all the way - that we need to start figuring stuff out ourselves.

And I'm not too worried about a high dropout rate, just means less competition for jobs at the end of the year :D

HSC
Their shit website turned me off Macleay, seriously.

sid007

HSC
N/A
I've been doing some research and Macleay looks quite good for Advertising.. is anyone taking Advertising currently, or plans to in the future??
Please do let me know. Some insight would be really helpful!!

Alyssssa

HSC
Hey im thinking of signing up for journalism this year (way last minute) but that large post about all the bad stuff about macleay is kinda worrying me.

Has anyone else had an experience like that?

Thanks!!

HSC
Hey im thinking of signing up for journalism this year (way last minute) but that large post about all the bad stuff about macleay is kinda worrying me.

Has anyone else had an experience like that?

Thanks!!
Just remember that one big post is still just one post, and doesn't negate the numerous positive posts about Macleay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)