Majors in Science (1 Viewer)

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
hi everyone,

i want to do Adv science this year at usyd and major in neuroscience in 3rd year. it has a strong recommendation where they say you should study molecular biology and genetics (intro) which is in semester 2 of 1st year.

the problem is that i also want to do the gamsat and get into medicine so i need to do physics, biology, chemestry and as a sci requirement i have to do 12 credits in maths for 1st year. so where do i slot mol bio and genetics. do i have to do 2 semesters of physics (i didnt do physics at school so im doing physics fundamentals for 1st semester) to be prepared for gamsat. i thought i may have to slot mol bio and genetics in where i was going to do my second semester of physics.

thanks in advance :)

wattle

HSC
Hi Luke,

According to the gamsat information I have read, the academic level of gamsat is first year uni chemistry and biology and only year 12 physics. You can check this out if you download the gamsat booklet from acer

If you do physics in your first year, even if it is only one semester, I think you would have enough of the basic knowledge required. From what I gather, no degree really prepares you for the style of questions they ask in gamsat. A little targeted private study prior to sitting gamsat might be all you need. (I know I am going to have to do that!)

Have you looked at the ausmedstudent forum ? I have found the info there really helpful. It would be well worth posting your question there.

All the best

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you find you get along easy with 24cp's in first semester then overload for the second, that or you might be able to defer mol bio to 2nd year.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
u can always overload if u want...

also i doubt it is mandatory to do 1st yr phys any way... u need to choose some science electives (up to 18 cp per semester if i remember right) so u can do some random things... then in 2nd sem do mol bio...

however, i heard twas pretty boring...
i am deciding on whether to do a major in biochemistry (so to choose biochem and mol genetics in 2nd yr) or double major in maths... so yeh, i heard mol gene is really borin... every one does it only cuz it is STRONGLY recomm'ed to do with biochem...

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
thanks guys for all your help.

i think ill need to do physics (to prepare for gamsat) but yeah i guess i can do mol bio and gen in second year (if i dont do it in semester 2 of first year) but does that mean i have to overload or does that mean i can replace intermediate subjects with a junior?

its a shame mol bio and gen is boring cause neuroscience sounds really interesting. i guess its just one subject and for one semester.

wattle

HSC
xiao1985 said:
u can always overload if u want...
You want to get a high GPA, don't you? I'd avoid overloading unless it's absolutely essential.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
wattle said:
You want to get a high GPA, don't you? I'd avoid overloading unless it's absolutely essential.
nah i dont want to overload really. i dont want to have to do much extra work if i dont have to. from what ive heard adv sci is hard enough as it is. i want good marks in every subject. ill see how i go though in fist year and may overload in second if i can handle it

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If it's just year 12 physics you can always teach yourself HSC physics in a few days.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
yeah but id rather be taught it properly and get some testing and stuff. do the pracs too. if its just 1 semester i dont really mind

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
wattle said:
yes..,. but more cp doesnt necessarily mean lower gpa... u can finish ur degree earlier...

wattle

HSC
xiao1985 said:
yes..,. but more cp doesnt necessarily mean lower gpa... u can finish ur degree earlier...
I know what you mean ... finishing earlier sounds good but i'm not so sure it is all that realistic. You'd have to maintain very good results to be approved for overloading and also be confident that you won't spread yourself too thin.

I'm just saying it's not for everyone and to consider it carefully.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
u can overload without approval... as in u don't have to get any one's permission to do 30cp per semester... infact, i am currently enrolled in 30 cp nxt yr...

however, msg received... i know i will need to work alot harder nxt sem, considerin tis 2nd yr, and it counts double to my wam... =S

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
xiao1985 said:
u can overload without approval... as in u don't have to get any one's permission to do 30cp per semester... infact, i am currently enrolled in 30 cp nxt yr...
Good to hear. Now I can do everything I wanted without worrying about the 24cp limit.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I reckon if you're overloading subjects that you have a real aptitude for then they'll balance out some compulsory ones that you may not be so good at, hence giving you a higher GPA.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
withoutaface said:
some compulsory ones that you may not be so good at,
So far all the compulsory subjects (maths, chemistry and engineering disciplines) sound good, and I would include them even if they won't compulso

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Templar said:
So far all the compulsory subjects (maths, chemistry and engineering disciplines) sound good, and I would include them even if they won't compulso
Haha I'm glad I don't have to do any chemistry ever again, and I'm certainly not doing it by choice.:p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hey give it a break... and chem is only 1 of the two schools offerin ssp so yeh ...

garry007

HSC
N/A
Im doin Bachelor of Science (Advanced) this year as well. Although i want to fit in phys, chem, bio and computer science (probably major in phys n comp science)...not sure how lol...any ideas...is it possible?

garry007

HSC
N/A
hmm....so do more work than needed ? well...i guess so...coz i want the bio, chem n phys as gamsat background and comp sci coz i noe i can get great marks in it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)