- make it clear and concise
- put down all ur major school achievments and sport stuff

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
Google "resume".

Modify your resume for each different job application. Put abilities/qualifications/experience relevant to the job you're applying for, on top. Personally I don't bother putting school marks if they're too high- they might think you're "too smart for the job"
...this thread was solved 6 days ago...why are you bumping it?

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
Dont apologize. Its my thread and your the only one who gave me a decent answer.

Thankyou. :)

..:MizJay:..

Super Supre Member
HSC
use the template from microsoft word. its all there for u, u just have to fill in ur real details. they look good too :)

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
..:MizJay:.. said:
use the template from microsoft word. its all there for u, u just have to fill in ur real details. they look good too :)
peteski01 said:
find some professional sample ones, they're really good
You may not believe it but employers have lives too. They use the internet.
They also were once applying for their first job.
You two are giving really poor advice to this poor kid who's trying to find a job.

Employers know that you didn't do it. Especially if you use a Word template. I've seen all the templates in Word, they are the worst form of resumes you could ever, ever use.
Always start from scratch; your own plain, simple design.

Put your name up the top larger than everything else.
Make sure your contact details are on the first page along with your Date of Birth.
List your experience.
Then list your qualifications and attainments.
Then your education.
Then your referees. State that you will make references available upon request (never, ever hand an employer a folder with all of your references, certificates, etc in it.)
Lastly list any other relevent skills you have (eg. computer skills if you will need them for the job).
and you're done.

Good luck!

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
How long are the "professional" resumes? Mine's conveniently a page, due to my limited qualifications and experience, being 18 and all.

Last edited:

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
How long are the professional resumes? Mine's conveniently a page.
my resume is quite lengthy; 4 pages. But that's the one I keep for myself and don't hand out. If I were to go for a job now, I'd change it and make it short; I'd only keep relevent stuff in there. Still, it would not be as short as a page if I want to list all relevent experience and qualifications. However, I'm quite happy where I am.

Last edited:

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
So you make a detailed resume, then tone it down to suit the job you're applying for? I.e. delete the irrelevant stuff.

Never thought of that...

Perhaps someday, maybe someday, I will cross the 1-page-resume boundary and become a man with a multi-paged-resume. Someday...

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
So you make a detailed resume, then tone it down to suit the job you're applying for? I.e. delete the irrelevant stuff.

Never thought of that...

Perhaps someday, maybe someday, I will cross the 1-page-resume boundary and become a man with a multi-paged-resume. Someday...
Yes, it helps to start a new document and copy/paste relevent parts of your resume.
Employers are looking for someone with experience relevent to the position, we don't wish to be bored with all the crap you've done in your life.

I've read resumes from school students whom list every single little achievment or involvment they've participated in during their entire school life. Completely irrespectable.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
No wonder no one wants to hire me!
Back to the drawing board.

hessie

a tip.. write a short two page max resume, and write an application letter for each particular job you're applying for briefly explaining why you're the right person and what qualities you have that others don't.

peteski01

Enlarged Member
HSC
N/A
biggles04 said:
You may not believe it but employers have lives too. They use the internet.
They also were once applying for their first job.
You two are giving really poor advice to this poor kid who's trying to find a job.

Employers know that you didn't do it. Especially if you use a Word template. I've seen all the templates in Word, they are the worst form of resumes you could ever, ever use.
Always start from scratch; your own plain, simple design.

Put your name up the top larger than everything else.
Make sure your contact details are on the first page along with your Date of Birth.
List your experience.
Then list your qualifications and attainments.
Then your education.
Then your referees. State that you will make references available upon request (never, ever hand an employer a folder with all of your references, certificates, etc in it.)
Lastly list any other relevent skills you have (eg. computer skills if you will need them for the job).
and you're done.

Good luck!
i hate you biggles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)