Making your Uni Timetable (1 Viewer)

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
Just wanted to know, do we have to choose exactly which time of the week we want to have our lectures and tutorial during enrolment, or do we just have to decide on units we want to take? I already know what units I want to do, but do not want to lock myself into certain time cos I might want to take some of them with my old classmates.
Thank you for your input in advance!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
most of your units will be allocated for you. on the internet you have the option to pretty much select two time slots within which you don't want tutes/lectures (although lectures are often hard to get out of, unless there's multiple time slots).
You go to the timetable changing place (details will be posted) to change to a more customised timetable.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Doesn't the Uni send you your timetables?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you get them online

p.s. u still havent explained how you know me.

raspb3rry

♥♥♥
HSC
stazi said:
most of your units will be allocated for you. on the internet you have the option to pretty much select two time slots within which you don't want tutes/lectures (although lectures are often hard to get out of, unless there's multiple time slots).
You go to the timetable changing place (details will be posted) to change to a more customised timetable.
So the timetables are automatically made? *yay* I don't want to go through the manuel process...seeing my friend do it for UNSW was so painful and tiring!

tennille

HSC
raspb3rry said:
So the timetables are automatically made? *yay* I don't want to go through the manuel process...seeing my friend do it for UNSW was so painful and tiring!
Yes, they are. Even when you decide to change a subject, the timetable will automatically rearrange itself.

tennille

HSC
You can rearrange your timetable yourself, but you can't go "I want this lecture on this day". You can only block the days/times you don't want to have a lecture/tute/lab.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Tennille said:
You can only block the days/times you don't want to have a lecture/tute/lab.
To be safe, it should also be mentioned that though you may want a particular day/time free and that there is room to maneuver, that isn't to say that it will always be possible - for example, a particular class my only be offered on a particular day and/or at a certain time, and the blocking of one day/period may create unavoidable clashes. Edit: Some of you are likely to be aware of such problems (malfoy, for example), but others may not be as informed.

In addition to the above, at times it may well be possible to change your timetable (officially or not), but it may not be practical for all involved - I for one hated a few of my first year classes that had quite a few people sitting on the floor given that many just decided to attend a different stream without any thought given to the nature of the allocation system.

Last edited:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
raspb3rry said:
It works both ways but. For example a person with something like 13hrs/week in Uni might have to spend all 5 days there - when ppl with more hrs might have to spend less days (hence, more days off). I'm praying for a 3day Uni week myself.

cimbom

HSC
... So, would there ever be the instance of clashes between one subject's tutorial for example and another's lecture? Would you ever have to choose between them or does the timetabling system reallocate them itself to fit? I'm guessing it would... probably a stoopid question? But has it ever happened where there was no other way of fitting all subjects in?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
if it's a tute, you'll be able to change. if two lectures clash you'll likely have to change

nono

HSC
N/A
I think at UTS you have the choice of building your own timetable...I'm not 100% sure but I think UNSW students can do it too...

Here is a copy/pasted extract from the law faculty helpful hints:

"Either write down or print out your:

Course Code
e.g. C10124 Bachelor of Laws

Subject numbers for spring semester
e.g. Spring 2005
****** 70105 Legal Research
****** 70113 Legal Process & History
****** 70217 Criminal Law

You will need this information to build your timetable & register to enrol.

In Timetable Builder you will notice that there are numerous activities for certain subjects, you will need to select one activity only for each subject i.e 01 or 02 or 03 etc

Once you have designed a timetable that you prefer, you then need to find a 2nd preference for each subject, as you may not be allocated your 1st preference.

Again make sure you write down or printout these timetables & bring them with you to your enrolment session as you will be asked to nominate your preferences at enrolment."

Hope that helps...

Generator

HSC
N/A
nono said:
I think at UTS you have the choice of building your own timetable...I'm not 100% sure but I think UNSW students can do it too...

Here is a copy/pasted extract from the law faculty helpful hints:

[...]

Hope that helps...
No, it didn't help. Next time, please take note of the sub-forum before you respond.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
I have a friend who's going to UTS. Supposedly there's been a mad e-dash for making timetables as its 'first come,first served'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)