manual licence question (1 Viewer)

camsmith

HSC
Hi I have NSW automatic P1 licence, but a friend and I are doing a car trip soon and I will need my manual P1 licence. Does anybody know how I should go about getting it? I know with P2 licence in NSW you can drive both, but I wont have my P2 licence by the trip unfortunately. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
yeah can drive man, not much experience in the city though
Yeah man but you need to be able to do the slow stuff (clutch control) which is as challenging manual driving can get- it takes practice.

camsmith

HSC
Yeah your not wrong dude, practice certainly needs to be had! That's what im asking about, do I have to do 120 hours again to get the manual licence..? Or can I drive around with L plates on with a full manual licence driver? I cant find anything online about it

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Nah you don't have to do 120 hours anymore, that's over for you. With the "L plates on with a full license driver" part, that is not an option. All I can say is go to RMS, if your confident with manual driving book a lesson to upgrade your license to P1 with no conditions.

camsmith

HSC
That is very good news. So I just have to book a p's test and in the process of it say its to get a manual P's licence? In terms of actually learning, how can I though if I cant drive around?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
That is very good news. So I just have to book a p's test and in the process of it say its to get a manual P's licence? In terms of actually learning, how can I though if I cant drive around?
Yeah man just when you feel confident/ready book a manual driving test in person through your nearest RMS.
In terms of driving, you are going to have to ask your full licensed friend to help you master the basics of the manual car since I assume you are going to go to the driving test with that.

Do hill starts, hold the car with the clutch (but only for a few seconds) or else you will wear out the clutch, basically get to know the clutch of that car, do 3-point turns, etc etc. I'm sure you'll pick it quite quickly man, especially since you already have your P's and drive. Once you start learning manual competently, then it will just become second nature.

camsmith

HSC
Yeah man just when you feel confident/ready book a manual driving test in person through your nearest RMS.
In terms of driving, you are going to have to ask your full licensed friend to help you master the basics of the manual car since I assume you are going to go to the driving test with that.

Do hill starts, hold the car with the clutch (but only for a few seconds) or else you will wear out the clutch, basically get to know the clutch of that car, do 3-point turns, etc etc. I'm sure you'll pick it quite quickly man, especially since you already have your P's and drive. Once you start learning manual competently, then it will just become second nature.
So I just need to clarify one thing... I am sweet to drive around with the fully licensed manual driver? I just have to have my p-plates on? still not quite sure about the legalities of it all. And yeah i'll definently be focusing on all that stuff, lucky his car is a hill holder to!

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
So I just need to clarify one thing... I am sweet to drive around with the fully licensed manual driver? I just have to have my p-plates on? still not quite sure about the legalities of it all. And yeah i'll definently be focusing on all that stuff, lucky his car is a hill holder to!
Hold on, is this before you are going to possibly do a license upgrade OR is this after the license upgrade to an unrestricted P1 license after the driving test?

camsmith

HSC
Hold on, is this before you are going to possibly do a license upgrade OR is this after the license upgrade to an unrestricted P1 license after the driving test?
I'm not sure that is what I wanted to clarify - sorry about this confusion mate

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Nah man that's not legal because currently your license is restricted to an auto. You will need to book a driving test in a manual car and pass to get that restriction off your license so you can be eligible to drive a manual car and they will give you a new license.
I'm not sure that is what I wanted to clarify - sorry about this confusion mate
I hope that's the answer you were looking for...

Last edited:

camsmith

HSC
Nah man that's not legal because currently your license is restricted to an auto. You will need to book a driving test in a manual car and pass to get that restriction off your license so you can be eligible to drive a manual car and they will give you a new license.

I hope that's the answer you were looking for...
Right ok that does make sense. So now my question is how do i get manual driving experience?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Right ok that does make sense. So now my question is how do i get manual driving experience?
You need to ask your full license friend to help you out with his car. Since you are on your P's you don't need a logbook, all you need is confidence and you are set.

Is there anything particular you would like to know about manual driving?

camsmith

HSC
You need to ask your full license friend to help you out with his car. Since you are on your P's you don't need a logbook, all you need is confidence and you are set.

Is there anything particular you would like to know about manual driving?
righhht ok, I see. I will just got to big car parks and get practice in then I reckon. No thank you that was my only question, you've been alot of help thanks!

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
righhht ok, I see. I will just got to big car parks and get practice in then I reckon. No thank you that was my only question, you've been alot of help thanks!
Yeah that's a good idea, you certainly don't want cars to be around you when you are practicing.

Anytime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)