Marked down for "unbalanced composition" (1 Viewer)

brbstudying

HSC
Hi guys!

I got 13/15 for my first English assessment task. My thesis and ideas were great, but they removed two marks due to one paragraph/argument being longer than the other. It doesn't say anything that goes against an "unbalanced composition" in the marking criteria. However, they placed this criticism under the fact that I failed to give a "perceptive response demostrated through a conceptual integration of how the texts support the thesis".

So, conceptual integration = balanced paragraphs...?

Also seemed to have failed at exploring "skilfully how the perspective of the question is represented in the prescribed text and one other related text", but no feedback on how I could improve was given here. I'm just really confused because they commented that my linking to the question, thesis and ideas were really good, so I don't understand how I failed in this regard.

jjuunnee

HSC
Yeah you can lose marks if one paragraph is significantly longer than the other (especially if the longer paragraph is the related) but if they're within 50 words of each other then you should be fine... I don't know. You should probably talk to the teacher who marked it and get them to explain why you lost marks

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad

If you're bothered, this is a good opportunity for you to ask your teacher if you're able to show them after you rewrite/restructure/make small changes to it to show a better 'conceptual integration w/e etc' so you know what they're looking for next time I guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)