Math help- polynomials (1 Viewer)

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Hey guys, for a question likes this,
P(x) = x^4 − 6x^3 − 19x^2 + 84x + 180. where the constant is really large and it's a quartic, is there a shorter way to do it, other than finding a factor, long diving and repeating the process multiple times? Is there a way i can someone decrease the 180?
Thanks

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Yeh, saved me in a test.

But is there no choice other than the boring long division if the leading coefficient of the poly is non-monic? Like if that x^4 was replaced by 2x^4

idkkdi

HSC
Hey guys, for a question likes this,
P(x) = x^4 − 6x^3 − 19x^2 + 84x + 180. where the constant is really large and it's a quartic, is there a shorter way to do it, other than finding a factor, long diving and repeating the process multiple times? Is there a way i can someone decrease the 180?
Thanks
Sum/product of roots. Differentiating to see if it is multiple multiplicity. Slap on the best technique.

idkkdi

HSC
That's some big brain thing right there LOL
Nice sarcasm?
Your teacher won't ask you a quartic like that which can't be factorised first, or without a given/easy root, or without a condition of a root being multiple multiplicity unless they are retarded.

Last edited:

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Was thinking that too, since there's a shortcut for that for sum of the roots in a quartic and for products of roots.

(given p(x) = ax^4 bx^3 +cx^2 +dx +e)

Last edited:

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Nice sarcasm?
Your teacher won't ask you a quartic like that which can't be factorised first, or without a given root, or without a condition of a root being multiple multiplicity unless they are retarded.
The question is from MIF. I did it without long division or differentiation, all g!

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Synthetic Division, anyone can do that!

Easier that LD and definitely easier than Differentiation and provided that P(x) is non-monic, it's pretty easy.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Yeah, was thinking that as well, better than mine, pretty hard to confine letters to one square if using a grid book (for me)

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Just in case someone sees this thread and hasn't heard of my method:
P(x) = x^4 − 6x^3 − 19x^2 + 84x + 180
180 is pretty big so I plug in integers which I can quickly see are divisible by 180.
The constant is there so I don't start with 0. I plugged in 1 in the calculator, and = (to set Ans to 1) then cleared and replaced the x with the Ans key in P(x) and see if you get 0. I did the same with 2, 3, 4, etc and then when you get big or small enough, do the other side. -1, -2, -3, etc.
Pretty easy for me to find the roots are 5,6,-2,-3.
and yes B1andB2's working out is correct, and definitely required in an exam. But for practice, you can skip those steps XD
Thank u!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)