Mathmatics or General? (1 Viewer)

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello,

So I am really struggling with mathmatics, as in I may or may not have payed attention much in my younger years and I am drowning, I see the kids in Generals work and thats the maths I love, but then I have the issue.

I want to do Chem, and I also want to get into a sciencey degree, would dropping down to general screw over both those things?

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Actually, i struggled with prelim 2u too but towards the end my ranks got better (jumped up like ~60 ranks). But honestly tho, if you feel that you can smash general and rek everyone in the class then by all means drop down. At the end of the day, it's your atar score that gets you into the course. You could always do a bridging course then.

Silly Sausage

HSC
Hello,

So I am really struggling with mathmatics, as in I may or may not have payed attention much in my younger years and I am drowning, I see the kids in Generals work and thats the maths I love, but then I have the issue.

I want to do Chem, and I also want to get into a sciencey degree, would dropping down to general screw over both those things?
No, but you will find a lot of university level science extremely difficult (such as chemistry) without the appropriate mathematical background - namely calculus.

ActuallyGracie

HSC
If you wanna do a science degree, often the prerequisite or recommended subject / assumed knowledge is Mathematics. You can do a bridging course later on, but personally, I think you should continue on with 2 Unit because it really will help you in uni (that's what they said at the career's expo last week!)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you want to do a sciency degree - for heaven's sake, don't drop to General.

If you are struggling with 2U Maths, and can afford it, quickly get a good 1-on-1 tutor to help you repair and build your foundation. Since you are presumably in Yr 11 now, you still have time to catch up, but not much. There are many excellent Maths coaching Centres, but are not for people in your situation. Don't waste any more time.

sourmilk

HSC
As someone who drop down to General last term, my advice is that if you think you can't attain atleast 75% for 2U then drop to Gen like a hot potato.

Some insight:
My friend is receiving tutoring for maths and has been for about two years now, however she's doing really depressingly in maths and she can't drop since her parents won't allow her and that the money invested in tuition would be a waste.
Another friend of mine is taking 3U despite that fact that he already kind of sucked miserably in 2U (he wants to do it because he needs it for the course but honestly how do you expect to get in the course if maths gonna drag you down) and he can't drop it now since he dropped AH and he has to drop IPT next year since it's non-atar.
One of my seniors is taking a business degree(?) and he did General, he didn't look like he was suffering the last time I met him and his did incredible well in the HSC.
Another friend who is in my class is taking chemistry, he's doing alright atm.
General Maths is easier than you think.
Not gonna lie, but me and along with other friends who dropped down aswell. We're kinda experiencing 'withdrawal symptoms' if it helps, when I asked about scientific notation in 2U, the teacher does explained to me in one minute and continued doing his thing. In Gen, we spent an entire lesson scientific notation.

Not sure if I helped, but I thought that maybe giving you various perspectives might help.

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC
Dropping down to general is prioritising the short term over the long term if you want to do a sciencey degree.

If all you want is to get as good grades in HS as you can and you think this will do it then okay, but if you actually want to understand any real science you really shouldn't drop.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
You're still in yr 11 and things can change and become much better. I suggest stick with 2 unit, trust me if you're taught it well there's no reason to not get a b6. This is the main thing. Especially if you're using maths in focus or some terrible textbook like that, that's not gonna help. Also, is your teacher good at explaining concepts? If not you could consider tutoring?

You WILL need at least 2 unit if you want to do chem in uni otherwise you'll find it really really hard. So put in the hard work now and understand the concepts, find youtube videos to aid your understanding and you have the holidays coming up. If you work hard now, it will be easier for you in the future. Best of luck

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
when I asked about scientific notation in 2U, the teacher does explained to me in one minute and continued doing his thing. In Gen, we spent an entire lesson scientific notation.
Scientific notation is like yr 8 work, it's assumed knowledge. So of course the 2u teacher will only briefly explain it.

sourmilk

HSC
Scientific notation is like yr 8 work, it's assumed knowledge. So of course the 2u teacher will only briefly explain it.
I was comparing the level of difficulty, but thanks anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)