Maths for com sci (1 Viewer)

hellohowslife

HSC
I am planning to do either a comm/comsci degree or a law/comsci degree but I only do maths advanced, and the assumed knowledge for computer science is maths extension 1. Will I be able to handle uni maths?

quickoats

HSC
Yes you will be able to get in (no prerequisite) but there will be a steep learning curve. Tbh it really depends on how ur maths is, like doing only 2U could mean a wide range of abilities l.

hellohowslife

HSC
Yes you will be able to get in (no prerequisite) but there will be a steep learning curve. Tbh it really depends on how ur maths is, like doing only 2U could mean a wide range of abilities l.
2U is my worst subject lol

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you thought about completing a bridging course to consolidate your mathematical knowledge?

USyd's Mathematics Extension 1 briding course is suitable for students intending to study an engineering course, or major in mathematics, computer science or physics. USyd also states: This Extension 1 bridging course is for you if you have done Mathematics (2-unit) in the HSC and want to enrol in a course which has an assumed knowledge of Extension 1 Mathematics (3-unit)

Similarly, UNSW's Mathematics bridging course is for you if you have no prior knowledge of HSC Mathematics Extension 1 and intend to pursue maths-related courses in the first year of your degree.

Bridging courses can familiarise you with essential knowledge you need to have, particularly in your first year of uni, which can make your first year a less difficult/overwhelming experience.

quickoats

HSC
Yeh it will be a bit of a struggle but CS only 3 maths subjects ever (1A 1B and Discrete) so you don't have too much to worry about.
An alternative is infosys or IT where there's less mathematics and logic throughout the whole degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)