• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths in IT? (1 Viewer)

manufan

HSC
Hopefully i will be getting into some IT or CS course in uni next year; but i am a bit worried about the math involved in these courses. I really dont like math (was in advanced, got annoyed and dropped to general) or at least i dont enjoy it.

So, basically is math vital? and when im looking for a job later, will math come up?

ty

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
manufan said:
Hopefully i will be getting into some IT or CS course in uni next year; but i am a bit worried about the math involved in these courses. I really dont like math (was in advanced, got annoyed and dropped to general) or at least i dont enjoy it.

So, basically is math vital? and when im looking for a job later, will math come up?

ty
In IT and CS, the math involved is usually logical maths, such as discrete mathematics, formal methodes, proof theory, etc. So, if your good at logic, you'd probably find it ok.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
manufan said:

ty
Depends. The same kind of brain functions are shared between programming and mathematics, though if you've done some programming and found that ok you should be fine.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
You'll inevitably run into some sort of maths, if not directly in a MATH subject, then indirectly in algorithms and other computational theory. In my computing subjects (@ unsw), its reaching a point where the maths in it is comparable in difficulty to actual 3rd year math subjects. Afaik, at uts theres no actual math subjects you need to take for IT, you'll only encounter it in your computing subjects, which i doubt would be a huge amount.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
So you know, the Information Systems branch of IT courses don't require such levels of mathematics. You would generally be doing statistics and data modelling as opposed to computational theory which you might find in Computer Science / Software Engineering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)