Mc Lake... Whats software engineering like at UNSW? (1 Viewer)

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Im really interested in doing the course next year...

Apparently its not a popular course and the UAI is down below 92 this year!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
The UAI has dropped to 91.75 (?) this year. This is appparently due to low intake of students.

I would still highly recommend my course however. But here are some things I did not understand about Software that you may not know:

- There is a large "commerce/IT" component. 1/4 of the first year course is spent on INFS (Information Systems) which is a COMMERCE course.

- There is 12 hrs a week of maths involved (in the first session, it gets better after that).

- There are special SENG (Software Engineering) subjects that Software Engineers get access to in 2nd year.

If you have any other questions then post them here ...

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Yeah... I'm not doing 3 unit maths... and ive heard uni maths is a killer.... Would i struggle?

BUT im into management, business aswell as programming, interface design...

Is it more programming or like management of software solutions (e.g how to become a project leader)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Your not doing 3U? Prepare to put a lot of time into maths then. I know people who only did 2U maths, and they're coping alright.

It is programming, don't get me wrong when I say there is commerce involved. The commerce is just one component, like computing is a component,

Here's a rundown of sessoin one topics:

Discrete Maths - Covers sets, probability, proofs, graph theory and recursion. Very relatiable to computing.
Maths 1A - Broken into algebra and calculas it covers complex numbers, matricies, and lots of 3U HSC calculas.
Computing 1A - The best subject in first session. Introduction to computing through "Haskell".
Business Data Managment - The commerce course. This course focueses on Microsoft Access and Oracle and there use in conjunction with Databases. Lots of design involved ...

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I'm more english orientated so that maths is kinda putting me off.

Having said that... I perform pretty good without pressure and can usually solve Maths problems with time however when it comes to exams... I'm poor.

I really have to find the course that suits me...

Here is a list

Software Engineering (UNSW)
Bioinformatics (UNSW)
IT (UTS)
ARTS (media and communications) (UNSW)
Digital Media (UNSW)

THey all have 85+ UAIs.... If i work i reckon thats reachable..

If you know anyone that does them or anything about them McLake, could u please tell me...

del

HSC
N/A
afaik at uts we don't have to do maths as such (haven't done any yet)... - one of the reasons i chose it, being maths ain't my strongest point

we had to do 5 weeks of accounting though :chainsaw:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I have heard bad things about ARTS (media and communications) (UNSW).
For the other course I don't know much, try posting questions in the relevent uni forums ...

yoshi

Originally posted by Beaky
Yeah... I'm not doing 3 unit maths... and ive heard uni maths is a killer.... Would i struggle?
I did 2 unit maths last year and the course is OK so far. I haven't done enough work, as per my standard, and I haven't gotten to a tearing-hair stage yet. Just be prepared to do a lot of work before your final exams (which I also haven't done).

BUT im into management, business aswell as programming, interface design...

Is it more programming or like management of software solutions (e.g how to become a project leader)
S Eng is just that, software engineering, the courses are revolved around programming software, methods of programming, and some lofty stuff like writing reports on software, etc. (That's what it seems like so far from 1st year's perspective.)

"(e.g how to become a project leader)"
Uni isn't TAFE! You don't learn a trade at uni, you learn some skills and how to work hard (or vice versa). There's many different paths to become a manager; do an MBA and S Eng, or be a programmer and show some initiative.

You don't become a manager by doing some course, it takes a lot of experience.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I did 2 unit maths last year and the course is OK so far. I haven't done enough work, as per my standard, and I haven't gotten to a tearing-hair stage yet.
tsk tsk :p, the math1131/1141 exam is on Tuesday. :eek:

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Originally posted by yoshi

You don't become a manager by doing some course, it takes a lot of experience.
Heee... true... i didnt quite mean that but... your right... you have to work your way up...

Ok cool... i'll check out this course in detail at Open day and read all the material I can get...

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Im also interested in this course, I havent really thought of any alternatives. If the UAI stays around the same i think it would be fairly easy to make it i.e not much work :D.

Since theres a commerce component in it, would that also reduce the amount of commerce you would have to do if you added MCom in 4th year?

Another question, how many hours a week do you spend at uni? and is it a 5 day week?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
No, the commerce components don't reduce the commerce for an MCom, but you can take electives to reduce it.

I currently spend 20.5 hrs a week at uni. That's 5 days. In session two this will drop to about 17 hrs and 4 days ...

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
So 5 days for first semester and 4 days for second semester? so they call it sessions there? If you take commerce electives, will that hinder your performance or put you at a disadvantage to others doing the course?

20.5 hours and 12 hours of maths a week? sheeh, thats more than 4u :eek: that will reduce surely by second sessions right?

yoshi

Originally posted by enak
So 5 days for first semester and 4 days for second semester? so they call it sessions there? If you take commerce electives, will that hinder your performance or put you at a disadvantage to others doing the course?
Semester = session. Currently, the combined B Eng/B Com program doesn't exist, so all budding accountants can do is pick commerce subjects for their Soft Eng electives. When the B Eng/B Com program exists, I think your program will continue in this fashion, though you'll probably get overloaded in later sessions.

Well, I did detective work and this is what the draft of the program looks like: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/seng/SE-BCom-generic/index.html
[if approved]
It's 5 years, S Eng and B Com programs are mixed up in the first 3, 4 is all com [i think], and 5'th year is just your S Eng thesis (which is compulsary). Along with this, you need the 3 months compulsary industry experience attached with S Eng. That's a lot of work :)

20.5 hours and 12 hours of maths a week? sheeh, thats more than 4u :eek: that will reduce surely by second sessions right?
I think you'll find that all B Eng degrees will flog you with maths. This is and has always been done (as my dad tells me -- he was in uni here and overseas 20 years ago) to weed out the students who either don't have a clue or aren't commited to their course. The maths we learn now will, in the large, be lost and lie unused in the "real world" (unless you go into certain fields of course); but it does teach you lots of useful principles and how to study hard, learn effectively and think logically.

Like McLake said, 2nd session it does reduce to around 17 hours p/w.

T

tactic

I did maths at UWS
it was called Discrete maths.. and it does help in programming

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by yoshi
Semester = session. Currently, the combined B Eng/B Com program doesn't exist, so all budding accountants can do is pick commerce subjects for their Soft Eng electives. When the B Eng/B Com program exists, I think your program will continue in this fashion, though you'll probably get overloaded in later sessions.

Well, I did detective work and this is what the draft of the program looks like: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/seng/SE-BCom-generic/index.html
[if approved]
It's 5 years, S Eng and B Com programs are mixed up in the first 3, 4 is all com [i think], and 5'th year is just your S Eng thesis (which is compulsary). Along with this, you need the 3 months compulsary industry experience attached with S Eng. That's a lot of work :)

I think you'll find that all B Eng degrees will flog you with maths. This is and has always been done (as my dad tells me -- he was in uni here and overseas 20 years ago) to weed out the students who either don't have a clue or aren't commited to their course. The maths we learn now will, in the large, be lost and lie unused in the "real world" (unless you go into certain fields of course); but it does teach you lots of useful principles and how to study hard, learn effectively and think logically.

Like McLake said, 2nd session it does reduce to around 17 hours p/w.
Sorry yoshi for the confusion, i ment the MComm added in 4th year, but thanks for the info.

yoshi

Originally posted by tactic
I did maths at UWS
it was called Discrete maths.. and it does help in programming
Yea, maths is the foundation of computing and all that, but do you use any major part of it when you are programming, say, web front-ends or some dull financial application (which I bet is where the safe and majority of money is in programming)?

I agree with you that discrete is very useful though, it teaches quite complex and useful concepts. I'm talking more about topics like calculus and algebra (that seems to be the meat of the courses for the first-years doing computer science).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)