med (1 Viewer)

stressedadfff

HSC
hey guys, i didnt perform the best this year but i know i definitely have the potential, i was wondering if there is any chance i could get into med/any route with a high 80 atar or not?

idkkdi

HSC
hey guys, i didnt perform the best this year but i know i definitely have the potential, i was wondering if there is any chance i could get into med/any route with a high 80 atar or not?
postgrad/massive bonus points not too sure how it works or no.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
If you live in a rural area or in Western Sydney the ATAR requirement for medicine becomes around 91.50 for unis like WSU, CSU and UoN which is not too far from your high 80 ATAR potential.

If this applies to you, you should definitely try to study as much as possible for the rest of your exams as they can make a difference and allow you to reach a 91.50 ATAR.

Alternatively, you can enrol in and complete a Bachelor's degree then study Medicine as a postgraduate, as mentioned above.

idkkdi

HSC
ah fk i heard you could apply to another course like physio and from there go into med after finsihing physio or smt
oh ye, i think there are some things where you can transfer, but it's probably as hard as postgrad to transfer.

Leadmen4y

HSC
Wow rural bonus points is massive, I thought USYD's E12, 99.95 to 99.50 for med and 99.6 to 99.00 for dental med was a big leap. But if you're not rural or have any disadvantages that give you a boost, it's obvious undergrad is very competitive with most of the cutoffs being high up the 99. ends. Postgrad is always an option though, if you maintain a high WAM or GPA idk which one they call it, plus you do exceptional in the GAMSAT, you can still get in. Though I personally think it's really risky to gamble 3 years of your life pursuing a bachelors of science/pre-med courses and hoping you get in through GAMSAT, if you don't have any plans with the bachelors you're doing, unless you're really sure that you're capable.

Also make sure you have a good reason to pursue a course, rather than the prestigious title and money, because else you'll probably end up hating it.

stressedadfff

HSC
Wow rural bonus points is massive, I thought USYD's E12, 99.95 to 99.50 for med and 99.6 to 99.00 for dental med was a big leap. But if you're not rural or have any disadvantages that give you a boost, it's obvious undergrad is very competitive with most of the cutoffs being high up the 99. ends. Postgrad is always an option though, if you maintain a high WAM or GPA idk which one they call it, plus you do exceptional in the GAMSAT, you can still get in. Though I personally think it's really risky to gamble 3 years of your life pursuing a bachelors of science/pre-med courses and hoping you get in through GAMSAT, if you don't have any plans with the bachelors you're doing, unless you're really sure that you're capable.

Also make sure you have a good reason to pursue a course, rather than the prestigious title and money, because else you'll probably end up hating it.
Yes, but do disadvantage help for med

Leadmen4y

HSC
Yes, but do disadvantage help for med
I'm not entirely sure about other unis, but USYD has a scholarship program called E12, where if you're experiencing disadvantages you can apply for it, and for ONE course in USYD, the ATAR requirement is reduced. For instance, the undergrad med course has an indicative ATAR of 99.95 in USYD, with E12 it's a 99.50. Though E12 for med is very competitive and you'll need a great application (they'll ask you stuff like why do you want to pursue this course etc) to get the offer, but realistically speaking, if you're not at least top 3 for everything right now in your cohort, the chances are not in your favour to make it through HSC/ATAR, not saying it's over since most people get in med through postgrad.

However, you should also take the UCAT and see how you go, some unis make offers with heavy consideration of this. Here's table of the pathways for medicine which I stole from https://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/ which is a site like BOS but with focus on medicine, definitely should have a look there for more info.
1624067870251.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)