medical science degree (1 Viewer)

Teresa_2004

HSC
I'm hoping to do medical science at sydney uni, and I was wondering if anyone has the answers to these questions:

how flexible is the timetable - could you squeeze all your classes into say three-four days?

for those doing the course, what do the practical aspects involve? what are the science facilities like?

what type of equipment do you need, and when is the best time to get it?
:)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Teresa_2004 said:
how flexible is the timetable - could you squeeze all your classes into say three-four days?
I'm not at Usyd but i guess both unis are similar. hmm, In my first year, it is difficult to fit all your classes into 4 days. This is due to the fact that Biology, chemistry, physics and maths (all your prescribed subjects in the first year) have high contact hours - 6 hours each. So it's difficult to fit 24 hours into 4 days; and don't forget labs are usually 2 to 3 hours. So you pretty much have to go 5 days a week.

Teresa_2004 said:
for those doing the course, what do the practical aspects involve? what are the science facilities like?
Well, biology, chemistry and physics definitely has lab. But I'm not sure if maths in Usyd has lab or not. Some maths has a lab component.

Teresa_2004 said:
what type of equipment do you need, and when is the best time to get it?
lab coats, safety glasses, textbooks, and lab manuals. I'm not sure if there's a website where you can check what textbooks you need for each of your subjects before uni begins, but in UNSW, there is one where you can check them up. If you are unsure, get them after your first lecture because they will tell you what you need. However the consequence is (at UNSW) you need to line up for at least 15 minutes at the bookshop because it is ALWAYS busy (as you can imagine) for the first 4 weeks.
but you can buy your lab coats or safety glasses at your union shops even before uni begins.

I hope this is useful for you.

Teresa_2004

HSC
o.k, thanks that is helpful :uhhuh: it would be good to see the unsw website to give me a basic idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)