Medicine at UNSW or Newcastle JMP (1 Viewer)

hirola

HSC
Hi,

I'm a student at UNSW and I'm thinking of applying to transfer to Medicine. I've asked both UNSW and Newcastle about the process and what's required so I know I will need to do UMAT and apply through UAC for both of them. I have more chance of getting in the Newcastle one but the UNSW one seems to be one of the popular ones so I'm thinking maybe the learning structure or something about the UNSW one puts it at an advantage compared to Newcastle.

I just wanted to know what people think of each university for the Medicine program because I'm still debating about which one I should apply for.

Thank you

iStudent

HSC
Apply to both?

Then choose the one that accepts you. Most people are lucky to get 1 med offer, let alone have a choice between universities.

But in case you're wondering, they're like the same but Newcastle has a shorter course whereas UNSW has a research year (and also probably closer to home)

StudiousStudent

HSC
Being a novocastrian myself, I'd recommend Newcastle.

I know a few people that have undertaken medicine at UoN. I know plenty of people who have graduated with nursing, OT, radiography and midwifery degrees. All of the UoN graduates (health field), have secured jobs before graduation or soon after.

90% at John Hunter Hospital.

The John Hunter Hospital (sometimes known as the JHH or more colloquially The John Hunter) is the principal referral centre and a community hospital for Newcastle, Lake Macquarie and Northern New South Wales, Australia. It is the main teaching hospital of the University of Newcastle. The hospital contains the only trauma centre in New South Wales outside the Sydney Metropolitan Area, and has the busiest emergency department in the state.[2]

They're always hiring. And they're expanding right now, so more jobs will be created.

I'm admittedly biased (I was born there!)

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
If I'm in sydney, and had unbonded offers from both, I would definitely go UNSW.

Basically, get into the med course you get in. I got into newcastle and that's where I am right now rather than couple of my other mates who did umat two or more times to get into unsw. If you have a inferiority complex, going to usyd or umelb med might be helpful to boost your confidence, otherwise, pick the most convenient university from the offers you get.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sure in Sydney ( at least) it doesn't matter. But at Newcastle, you graduate with a Bachelor of Medicine ( and for students not at Newcastle, there is often confusion on whether you can do surgery- because of the name- tbh I'm not even sure myself!. At UNSW, if you do really well- you end up graduating with 'three degrees' - Bachelor of medical studies, bachelor of Sci ( MED) honours and an MD.

At this level, it probably doesn't matter domestically. However, when it comes to applying overseas for eg Fellowship, perhaps it may matter.

UNSW MED degree is also more recognised in some Asian countries compared to Newcastle.

bangladesh

HSC
I'm sure in Sydney ( at least) it doesn't matter. But at Newcastle, you graduate with a Bachelor of Medicine ( and for students not at Newcastle, there is often confusion on whether you can do surgery- because of the name- tbh I'm not even sure myself!. At UNSW, if you do really well- you end up graduating with 'three degrees' - Bachelor of medical studies, bachelor of Sci ( MED) honours and an MD.

At this level, it probably doesn't matter domestically. However, when it comes to applying overseas for eg Fellowship, perhaps it may matter.

UNSW MED degree is also more recognised in some Asian countries compared to Newcastle.
lol JMP is converting to the MD for 2017 (subject to AMC approval) and yes we do surgery as part of our degree you ignorant thing, how could you graduate from a medical school without doing a surgical term? Furthermore, All colleges have made it clear that they dont care about what degree you have and it's about what you do after your graduation that matters the most. So just choose whats convenient for you. I'd pick newcastle over unsw any day simply because its a 5year course over a 6 year course (1 year less for hecs and a year earlier income and 1 year ahead in training etc) But again, it all depends on your situation

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
lol JMP is converting to the MD for 2017 (subject to AMC approval) and yes we do surgery as part of our degree you ignorant thing, how could you graduate from a medical school without doing a surgical term? Furthermore, All colleges have made it clear that they dont care about what degree you have and it's about what you do after your graduation that matters the most. So just choose whats convenient for you. I'd pick newcastle over unsw any day simply because its a 5year course over a 6 year course (1 year less for hecs and a year earlier income and 1 year ahead in training etc) But again, it all depends on your situation
Chill! I was just highlighting the common misconception students have regarding Newcastle! It's not really polite (especially for a medical student too!) to be calling people ignorant etc. I imagine that it's part of being professional and kindly informing someone less knowledgable in a certain field than you. Common knowledge to someone is not common knowledge to others. You don't really need to be rude despite your anger and frustration (which seems strange if this is the emotion you feel after reading a post). There are better ways at communicating (I'm also sure you learn this in your communication classes). Firstly, I'm not a thing unless we are relegating back to primary school or even pre-school where we refer to people as things. Secondly, all colleges in Australia but not overseas. Thirdly, I'm pretty sure you don't know the UNSW medicine structure as well and have your own misunderstandings.

There are all sorts of possibilities- you can graduate from a medical school with a surgical term, but is it as indepth a surgical term compared to other universities? Would it be that recognised overseas or interstate?

Yes, it does depend on your choice. UNSW has a research year and in quite a few cases you have the opportunity to publish in the field you like- gaining a head start in both the research field as well as connecting with some of the consultants (who are involved in your research). While it does put you back a year or so, research appears to be a critical component when it comes to applying for traineeship. Based on what I heard, it does put you a foot up (as you have research experience and can have an easier time getting into research projects). However, it is up to your reference and your own communication with doctors.

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
The BMed or soon to be MD (JMP) is just as qualified as the degree you get at UNSW (you also do the same surgical stuff...). It's a funny story, but apparently Newcastle decided that they wanted to be different to the rest, so they decided to cut out the "bachelor of surgery" from the "bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery". It's all just in the name :)

Also, I heard rumours that people don't take the research year seriously at UNSW and most don't even get published in the end. There are solid arguments for both universities, but I'd imagine most would go for UNSW just because of its prestige and location.

Source: I study in the JMP

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
The BMed or soon to be MD (JMP) is just as qualified as the degree you get at UNSW (you also do the same surgical stuff...). It's a funny story, but apparently Newcastle decided that they wanted to be different to the rest, so they decided to cut out the "bachelor of surgery" from the "bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery". It's all just in the name :)
Correctamundo

Also, I heard rumours that people don't take the research year seriously at UNSW and most don't even get published in the end. There are solid arguments for both universities, but I'd imagine most would go for UNSW just because of its prestige and location.
Those rumours are kinda coming from the wrong direction. The ILP year is just like any other year in your degree, especially later on: it's only as good as you want to make it. So if you wanted to, you could definitely cruise through it. But there are a lot of opportunities to do some good research and make it a great year if you work hard and follow your interests. And some people even do get published, which is great for that sort of level with people doing what's often their first ever research.
What people do is up to them, but the opportunities are most definitely there for the taking.

The problem with publishing is just that it's hard to do research of a publishable level in the time you're given. Publishing isn't something that just happens with any kind of research. Even legit researchers can have a hard time getting stuff published tbh.
No research component in any MD medicine program that I know of consistently gets published. The point is more to get established with good research practices later on and understand concepts on level with a Level 8 AQF qualification.

Point is, I wouldn't base my opinions off rumours :p

For UNSW vs JMP in general the same advice goes as for any uni vs uni - go for whichever course you get into, and if you gave a choice, go for the one which suits your situation, wants and needs best.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad

Source: I study in the JMP
Yeah :p If you take the research seriously you tend to get published :p But if it is a holiday year then nahhhhh:lol:

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
There are all sorts of possibilities- you can graduate from a medical school with a surgical term, but is it as indepth a surgical term compared to other universities? Would it be that recognised overseas or interstate?
Where you do your surgical rotation will not affect whether your degree is recognised overseas. A medical degree in Australia is recognised in all states regardless of your surgical rotation.

Yes, it does depend on your choice. UNSW has a research year and in quite a few cases you have the opportunity to publish in the field you like- gaining a head start in both the research field as well as connecting with some of the consultants (who are involved in your research).
Debateable, with benefits and downsides.

Last edited:

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Where you do your surgical rotation will not affect whether your degree is recognised overseas. A medical degree in Australia is recognised in all states regardless of your surgical rotation.

Was referring to the degree not the surgical term :p. I'm sure your surgical rotation location wouldn't be highlighted in your graduation statement. I was referring to how different countries recognise the University you graduate from. You can find it on the government websites generally. In Australia of course it is all uniform and the same.

Everything is debatable :) That was just a plus side of UNSW (consider it a draw factor if you are interested in research) as opposed to some other Unis

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC

Yeah, it's down to what you want. Personally I like the ILP year, but opting for a shorter degree also makes sense. There is no "better" uni or option.

iStudent

HSC
True, true. There is a research component in the MD coming in 2017 though (JMP) if you're keen beans on getting some research experience (although research is probably limited given the small amount time and even more limited at UNE where there is a lack of resources...)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Was referring to the degree not the surgical term :p. I'm sure your surgical rotation location wouldn't be highlighted in your graduation statement. I was referring to how different countries recognise the University you graduate from. You can find it on the government websites generally. In Australia of course it is all uniform and the same.
Sorry, you were unclear in your question:
If instead you were talking about a medical degree, then I would have told you that all medical degrees are recognised interstate.

In any case, OP would do well to apply for both. I think a research year can be more helpful if you have a good idea of where you will be in your PGY2-4 as it will be most helpful during this period. However, in the early years, one year of clinical experience is more helpful than one year of research: a PGY2 without research experience will generally have more opportunities than a PGY1 with research in the same field.

bangladesh

HSC
Chill! I was just highlighting the common misconception students have regarding Newcastle! It's not really polite (especially for a medical student too!) to be calling people ignorant etc. I imagine that it's part of being professional and kindly informing someone less knowledgable in a certain field than you. Common knowledge to someone is not common knowledge to others. You don't really need to be rude despite your anger and frustration (which seems strange if this is the emotion you feel after reading a post). There are better ways at communicating (I'm also sure you learn this in your communication classes). Firstly, I'm not a thing unless we are relegating back to primary school or even pre-school where we refer to people as things. Secondly, all colleges in Australia but not overseas. Thirdly, I'm pretty sure you don't know the UNSW medicine structure as well and have your own misunderstandings.

Yes, it does depend on your choice. UNSW has a research year and in quite a few cases you have the opportunity to publish in the field you like- gaining a head start in both the research field as well as connecting with some of the consultants (who are involved in your research). While it does put you back a year or so, research appears to be a critical component when it comes to applying for traineeship. Based on what I heard, it does put you a foot up (as you have research experience and can have an easier time getting into research projects). However, it is up to your reference and your own communication with doctors.
lol sorry was having a bad day. Eitherway i got annoyed at the 'there is often confusion on whether you can do surgery- because of the name- tbh I'm not even sure myself!'
I think if you're not sure, then you simply shouldn't give advice that could mislead people. Most your points regarding the degree not being recognised in other places are also irrelevant because as far as registration overseas goes, you would be registered in Australia and most graduates would be in the same boat.

Again, apologies for calling you an ignorant but a lot of the stuff you said were simply incorrect.

With regards to everything else you said, most of it has been corrected by others so ye. Anyway, soz. we cool

bangladesh

HSC
Correctamundo

The problem with publishing is just that it's hard to do research of a publishable level in the time you're given. Publishing isn't something that just happens with any kind of research. Even legit researchers can have a hard time getting stuff published tbh.
No research component in any MD medicine program that I know of consistently gets published. The point is more to get established with good research practices later on and understand concepts on level with a Level 8 AQF qualification.

I agree with everything else you have said but i disagree with 1 year not being enough time to get published! Once you look at the number of medical journals out there, you'll soon realise it's not insanely difficult to get stuff published and people do summer research projects in medicine that get published all the time (3months time frame). But yeah obvsly the quality of research is not going to be something that will be published in NEJM but I feel like ILP gives you a very good time-frame to conduct proper research and be published if you are committed enough (I think it's the longest research time-frame for any medical degree in australia for that matter actually that is built into the program - Most other medical schools you tend to take a year off if you want to conduct proper research)

Oer

Started from the fundus
HSC
I agree with everything else you have said but i disagree with 1 year not being enough time to get published! Once you look at the number of medical journals out there, you'll soon realise it's not insanely difficult to get stuff published and people do summer research projects in medicine that get published all the time (3months time frame). But yeah obvsly the quality of research is not going to be something that will be published in NEJM but I feel like ILP gives you a very good time-frame to conduct proper research and be published if you are committed enough (I think it's the longest research time-frame for any medical degree in australia for that matter actually that is built into the program - Most other medical schools you tend to take a year off if you want to conduct proper research)
As I said, if you do your research properly and work hard leading up to/within the year, you can get published (and quite a few do). I just said that it can be harder in that timeframe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)