Medicine/Dentistry 2010 [Official] (1 Viewer)

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
It's early days I know, but before we know it we will be lining up in the masses outside the testing centres attempting to dry off our sweaty palms.

I'm curious, [post your photos here], no, who is:

1. Planning to sit the UMAT in July of 2009 [2010 entry]?
2. Enrolled, or is planning to enrol in a UMAT Preparation Course?
3. Preparing for the UMAT already?
4. Applying to dentistry rather then medicine?

Also, which university would you prefer to study medicine/dentistry, and why?
What attracts you to medicine/dentistry?
Are you aboriginal?

Any additional questions may be added. Simply ask me or a moderator.
We should make this thread a resource where students can visit and learn about any important information relevant to the admission process of undergraduate medicine/dentistry.

veinslay

HSC
1.me
2.me
3.not me
4.me

melb uni
I live in Melbourne, I love Melbourne, I dont want to leave Melbourne (if I can)
it also requires you to take 3 years undergraduate degree before applying to medicine/dentistry, I will have more time to think whether I will take med or dent

becoming a doctor was my dream
however, it is not easy and dentistry offers more flexibility (u know what I mean)

Are you aboriginal?
no

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Medicine is one of my preferences, but I am absolutely mortified with regards to taking the UMAT test. I have a feeling this test epitomises the kind of test where I would simply score poorly in :(

PrettyVacant

HSC
Medicine is one of my preferences, but I am absolutely mortified with regards to taking the UMAT test. I have a feeling this test epitomises the kind of test where I would simply score poorly in :(
Dude don't go into the test with that kind of mindset. You will do fine if you prepare appropriately and go in with a positive attitude!

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
That's good advice. Even though I haven't sat the test, I do recognise confidence in your ability is important for any test.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Those who have attempted the UMAT in past years are welcome to contribute too :p
Advice.. etc in relation to sitting the UMAT are greatly appreciated.
Bump, huh!

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
1. Planning to sit the UMAT in July of 2009 [2010 entry]? me!

2. Enrolled, or is planning to enrol in a UMAT Preparation Course? nope. dont believe in them.

3. Preparing for the UMAT already? done one acer booklet.

4. Applying to dentistry rather then medicine? nah, medicine all the way :)

currently first choice would be music/med combined at usyd, coz i get to chase my passion in music whilst eventually coming out to be a doctor, which is what i've always wanted to do.

sounds cliche, but always wanted to give back to others what theyve done for me in my problem times. and always wanted a job where i could have lots of contact with the public.

Are you aboriginal?
no

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
UMAT is definitely the biggest hurdle in the whole process. Almost all universities consider the UMAT and most of the time, getting an interview solely depends upon your UMAT score and is the biggest eliminator. 20000 students sit the UMAT each year and each university only offers approx 500 interviews.
With regard to the interview, you should worry about that after the UMAT. You already have your Yr 12 work/university to worry about and on top of that the UMAT. Most interviews happen november/december with UNSW having theirs in late sept/oct. this will give you plenty of time (at least a month or two after UMAT) to practice.
Section 1 was the hardest section last year. I found it alright, but everyone I talked to said it was very hard and didn’t finish.
Section 2 was about normal difficulty. I found it quite enjoyable and a good length. This was my best section.
Section 3 was the easiest section by far. I was never strong at this section, but found it relatively easy. I was only unsure of 2 questions, but would image that quite a few would have gotten all the answers correct.

As for prep course, I did NIE and Icarus (got NIE off a friend). Icarus sucked except for the interview training at the workshop. Not much I can say about NIE cept that it just provided heaps of questions which is good if you're the type of person that learns from doing tons and tons of questions.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
I'm curious, [post your photos here], no, who is:

Yes.

NOTE:
- For those planning to sit the UMAT in 2009, the Official 2009 UMAT Guide will be available ONLINE ONLY in late March.
- Registrations open April
- UMAT will be held on the 29 July 2009 (Wendesday).

No.

Yes, since late 07.

No but I have considering Paramedic Studies (CSU).

UWS. It's new, close to home and has good relations with the community including local hospitals.

It satisfies my interests. I have keen interests in medical microbiology, human disease and in particularly, methods of treatment. To be honest I doubt I'll ever practice medicine. I will gain entry to M.B.B.S and participate in the internship stage however my interests will be fullfilled by this time. Later plans involve writing texts, researching and watering my garden.

The above will not sit well with the selection commitee therefore I'll be forced to provide generic answers.

GL friends, 900 I'm gone. :uhhuh:

nottellingu

HSC
I am absolutely mortified with regards to taking the UMAT test. I have a feeling this test epitomises the kind of test where I would simply score poorly in :(
Well said :hammer:
I cant afford to fail again :( :angry:

nottellingu

HSC

Yes

Yes, F2f and med entry.

Not really just skimming through guides.

No, just med

In order:
UNSW/UWS dont know which to pick 1st
Monash
Adel/Uncle
Utas
Griffth provisional/JCU dont know which one to pick 1st
UWA
If all else fails Bond *sigh*

I like human biology and enjoy learning stuff about the human body, disease ect ect. Unlike Bacilli i would like to practice medicine and hope to get into surgery.

supanerd

HSC
UMAT...

You need to go in positive, get PLENTY of sleep, don't stress beforehand and go through the questions relatively quickly. Most people last year didn't do average 15 questions in section 1 but had HEAPS of time in the last two sections. Plan your time well, in other words.

I actually did really badly in the UMAT but that's no matter because it's getting into med that's important =)

But to all of you who want to get into NSW unis (which i did and would have really liked to), you need to do WELL in your umat. As a lot of people from my grade wanting to do med but failed umat learnt, if you got a soaring uai and didn't do well in the umat, you still won't get in, no matter what. Spend more time on UMAT prep and read up on advice on interviews and things well (but focus on interviews when you get one, not now =P).

The pro about getting a 99> UAI and doing crap in umat is that you have the option of (maybe) getting into JCU (but that's not a definite. My friend got 99.65 but didn't even get an interview from JCU), but at least it's an option if you didn't do well in the umat. But for JCU, write a good application form, as THAT is what counts instead of your umat. JCU is a great course and there isn't enough hype about it (the problem is just that it's so FAR away!) but yeah, don't discount it.

UMAT prep is not necessary (i didn't believe in it, thus didn't do it) but i highly advice it now (all my friends who did prep did well and people like me who didn't do prep didn't do well). Call it unfair, but you cant really test people's natural talent by giving them a set of questions to answer.

Good luck to all you future med students!

coltser

HSC
1. yep
2. no, ordered the practice test though
3. no
4. no

My ultimate goal is to get accepted into medical science at Griffith university. It's only 2hours from home (closest uni available apart from SCU) and I love the area.

Are you aboriginal?
no

In all honesty I very much doubt I will get accepted into undergrad med anywhere and that I will have to do biomedicine or something first, but I'm still going to go for it :)

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Hey bacilli ive noticed ur in alot of med threads. what are u doing if u dont mind me asking ? are u a school leaver ? have u sat the umat before ?
second year medsci dropout, not a school leaver
taking some time off this year... will sit umat in july, never before
gl with the umat

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Umat is only 4 months away and I'm gona get a big fat 120
The pract test ish suckn hard, esp sec 1
If only the questions would be as simple as those in the umat information booklet :(

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Wooz, the difficulty of the practice test and actual umat, differ greatly?
Thx

red-butterfly

HSC

hell yeahh!

nopes.. should i?

yups!

medicine all the wayy!

I want to go to UNSW because... well because its close to home a friend goes there says its a great atmosphere

the blood. the saving lives you know all the glory that comes being a doctor LOL
i want to help people. i want to help children actually ^ ^ becoming a pediatrician

Are you aboriginal?

no...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)