Medicine: UNSW vs WSU (1 Viewer)

catha230

HSC
Hi there,
I just got an offer to Doctor of Medicine at WSU and I have to accept it within 14 days. I have called UNSW up to ask about my application (I have already sat the interview) and they said they're going to tell me on the 8th of January. Should I just accept the WSU offer lready? I actually like the course structure of WSU more primarily because 5 years vs 6 years, however at the same time, I'm worried that I might want to do my internship overseas, the reputation of the uni will matter and in that case UNSW trumps WSU. Could someone please give me some advice on this? Thanks in advance!

idkkdi

HSC
Hi there,
I just got an offer to Doctor of Medicine at WSU and I have to accept it within 14 days. I have called UNSW up to ask about my application (I have already sat the interview) and they said they're going to tell me on the 8th of January. Should I just accept the WSU offer lready? I actually like the course structure of WSU more primarily because 5 years vs 6 years, however at the same time, I'm worried that I might want to do my internship overseas, the reputation of the uni will matter and in that case UNSW trumps WSU. Could someone please give me some advice on this? Thanks in advance!
lol unsw really be throwing if they’re releasing offers after wsu deadline.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
accepting is different to enrolling right? I think you should accept your WSU offer asap and secure your place that way, and then wait to see how you did with UNSW. if you don't make it to UNSW, then enrol an WSU. if you make it to UNSW, then you have the option to accept both offers and pick between the two uni's, you don't have to make the decision right now. I don't know the pros and cons between the uni's so I can't rlly help with that

also congrats!!

quickoats

HSC
This ^^ you can “hoard” both offers but since it’s med, as a courtesy, withdraw from the offers that you don’t want, and maybe even call up the uni admissions to let them know, so a spot is freed up for someone else.

This doesn’t matter so much in degrees that aren’t slot constrained.

edds7575

HSC
Hi there,
Congrats on the offer! As always, you should accept the offer (but don't enrol yet), then wait until the 8th of January to see if you can choose. I can also help you with the courses themselves. Prestige has zero practical value in medicine, since all courses are AMC accredited and you will be a competent intern no matter what university you go to (in Australia). I'm not too sure how it works overseas though. The time difference is important to consider as well, since you will be graduating one year earlier and earning income one year earlier. The extra year at UNSW provides you with the research year though, and UNSW also arguably has better clinical schools. However, the length of the degree should probably be a bigger deciding factor than those. Good luck!

quickoats

HSC
Btw if you live in the east, Campbelltown might be a bit of a trek for you so keep that in mind.

Antananarivo

HSC
N/A
Hi there,
What did you end up doing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)