Melbourne Residential Colleges (1 Viewer)

unihelp

HSC
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can give me views/stereotypes/information about Melbourne Uni's colleges. If I go to Melbourne, I can go to any of them obviously, but if I choose to go to ACU only International House, Whitley College or St Mary's College will accept me.

Cheers.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can give me views/stereotypes/information about Melbourne Uni's colleges. If I go to Melbourne, I can go to any of them obviously, but if I choose to go to ACU only International House, Whitley College or St Mary's College will accept me.

Cheers.
I'd suggest visiting them all, that's what I did when I applied to preference them. And hints on the application process, just ask me, I especially know St Hilda's normal and scholarship as I was accepted there on both fronts but declined when I accepted a USYD offer. (Plus, I just modified the same format for every college I applied to :p)

A few of them are quite religious (Newman and Whitley spring to mind as the two that are the most religious-y feeling, some have chapel choirs and churches but don't push the religion but don't rely on the names for this analysis(i.e ones with the St in their name are not really religious), visit them in person or ask current residents there! I have friends at a few if you want questions passed on in particular :) Queens, Ormond, Trinity, Hilda's and Whitley iirc.

Some of are more sandston-y and historical and have more formal dinner tradition (Ormond, Trinity, Queens spring to mind, also the biggest three colleges iirc). Some are quite small (JCH) whereas Ormond has over 500 and is the biggest college in the Southern Hemisphere apparently. University College and St Hilda's College have a more relaxed vibe and are more modern, and also something with Hilda's and UC is they have a big intake of regional and interstate students. LIke Hilda's was 70% regional victorians and 20% regional interstate. Also a big thing to consider with preferencing, is often you can only be eligible for scholarship at your first preference, so play your cards with that one.

But on the whole, the melbourne college community is great as they are all nestled close together around the main oval close to the big union building, and the intercollegiate sport and that is really celebrated.

The stereotypes of them typically depend on which college the person you ask goes to themselves, but the stereotyping is less intense than probs the USYD/UNSW college stereotypes.

But I highly recommend visiting UMELB on the open day or arranging it during the year and looking around all the ones you are interested in :)

unihelp

HSC
Thanks very much, LoveHateSchool. I quite like the idea of living in a really traditional college, but I am not a straight A student and I come from Tasmania, so I feel that Trinity et. al. are probably not for me, and that ones like St Hilda's, UC, Whitley, etc. are probably better.

Do you know if there are any disgusting initiations like there are at USYD, or if there are many students from other unis like RMIT or ACU?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks very much, LoveHateSchool. I quite like the idea of living in a really traditional college, but I am not a straight A student and I come from Tasmania, so I feel that Trinity et. al. are probably not for me, and that ones like St Hilda's, UC, Whitley, etc. are probably better.

Do you know if there are any disgusting initiations like there are at USYD, or if there are many students from other unis like RMIT or ACU?
As a USYD college person, my particular college did not have initiations. The entire underlying of ethos of O-week was that there were activities, parties etc. if you wanted to attend them. But not going to rant about USYD colleges here :p I think most Melb colleges do not or are benign compared to what you would have heard hyped and worried about on USYD colleges.

I have only ever heard of Trinity having some form of initiation. Just because I remember because the girl on tour at Trinity (who seriously loved the place, was fourth year and like weeping at the thought of leaving and made it seem a little cultish lol) said something cryptic about there always been enough showers except for O-week so I presume they might paint bomb, glitter bomb or feather bomb the freshers or something, but that's just what I inferred, especially as she quickly cut away from it. Though I do recall reading a blog when I was worried about the culture of colleges before going to live in one, that mentioned some initiations at Ormond and surprisingly Newman which surprised given how religious it seems. No tales of forced participation, forced drinking or anything like that though. Just silly dress ups and that type of thing. I'd ask someone at the respective colleges to know, but I've never heard anything bad from friends on that front. Though always remember that O week activities are opt in/opt out, you as an individual always have options of what you want to do with them. I would vouch from what I've hear that St Hilda's, UC, Whitley and St Marys don't have that culture at all, and I'd say those four also don't have the elitism complex of some of the other bigger colleges lol.

Yeah if your grades aren't stellar you'd perhaps have better shot at some of the smaller colleges, but still admission at colleges can be harder than uni itself I feel. St Hilda's is also pretty competitive, as it's the most popular 'chillaxed' college in comparision to the also very popular, Ormond/Queens/Trinity triad. but UC, Whitley, St Mary's etc. tend to not garner as many applications. Oh and don't discount JCH, it's very nice there but not sure if you'd like a very small college. Even at small colleges though, you can always attend tutorials at other colleges through intercollegiate means and that. But, but colleges love volunteer work, sporting prowess and any arts ability seriously, that even if you are not great academically, these can be a serious card in. It's all about being all round. And Tas would give you like location need etc. and perhaps even rural footing depending where in Tas you are from.

UMELB colleges are primarily UMELB students (including VCA)-very small numbers from RMIT and ACU.

Oh and on the tradition thing, I'm sure you will have a great experience no matter which one you choose. All the colleges iirc have the formal dinner at least once a week, so you get to don an acca and get all hogwartsy and be in the intercollegiate mix.

unihelp

HSC
As a USYD college person, my particular college did not have initiations. The entire underlying of ethos of O-week was that there were activities, parties etc. if you wanted to attend them. But not going to rant about USYD colleges here :p I think most Melb colleges do not or are benign compared to what you would have heard hyped and worried about on USYD colleges.

I have only ever heard of Trinity having some form of initiation. Just because I remember because the girl on tour at Trinity (who seriously loved the place, was fourth year and like weeping at the thought of leaving and made it seem a little cultish lol) said something cryptic about there always been enough showers except for O-week so I presume they might paint bomb, glitter bomb or feather bomb the freshers or something, but that's just what I inferred, especially as she quickly cut away from it. Though I do recall reading a blog when I was worried about the culture of colleges before going to live in one, that mentioned some initiations at Ormond and surprisingly Newman which surprised given how religious it seems. No tales of forced participation, forced drinking or anything like that though. Just silly dress ups and that type of thing. I'd ask someone at the respective colleges to know, but I've never heard anything bad from friends on that front. Though always remember that O week activities are opt in/opt out, you as an individual always have options of what you want to do with them. I would vouch from what I've hear that St Hilda's, UC, Whitley and St Marys don't have that culture at all, and I'd say those four also don't have the elitism complex of some of the other bigger colleges lol.

Yeah if your grades aren't stellar you'd perhaps have better shot at some of the smaller colleges, but still admission at colleges can be harder than uni itself I feel. St Hilda's is also pretty competitive, as it's the most popular 'chillaxed' college in comparision to the also very popular, Ormond/Queens/Trinity triad. but UC, Whitley, St Mary's etc. tend to not garner as many applications. Oh and don't discount JCH, it's very nice there but not sure if you'd like a very small college. Even at small colleges though, you can always attend tutorials at other colleges through intercollegiate means and that. But, but colleges love volunteer work, sporting prowess and any arts ability seriously, that even if you are not great academically, these can be a serious card in. It's all about being all round. And Tas would give you like location need etc. and perhaps even rural footing depending where in Tas you are from.

UMELB colleges are primarily UMELB students (including VCA)-very small numbers from RMIT and ACU.

Oh and on the tradition thing, I'm sure you will have a great experience no matter which one you choose. All the colleges iirc have the formal dinner at least once a week, so you get to don an acca and get all hogwartsy and be in the intercollegiate mix.

Thanks again. Reassuring to know about the O-Week process.

I'll probably look at UC, Whitley and St Mary's. I do fit into the Tasmanian + rural categories, I do volunteer and arts related work, and also have other reasons that make me eligible for Access Melbourne, so maybe colleges would look favourably upon that too?

I've been told that most ACU students in Melbourne colleges are in St Mary's, with a couple in IH, and a couple in Whitley, because Whitley say 'ACU students in exceptional circumstances'.

Yeah, I think the only one that doesn't have the whole gowned dinner thing are the mega small ones like Janet Clarke or Medley?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks again. Reassuring to know about the O-Week process.

I'll probably look at UC, Whitley and St Mary's. I do fit into the Tasmanian + rural categories, I do volunteer and arts related work, and also have other reasons that make me eligible for Access Melbourne, so maybe colleges would look favourably upon that too?

I've been told that most ACU students in Melbourne colleges are in St Mary's, with a couple in IH, and a couple in Whitley, because Whitley say 'ACU students in exceptional circumstances'.

Yeah, I think the only one that doesn't have the whole gowned dinner thing are the mega small ones like Janet Clarke or Medley?
Yes it definitely would, you may even be eligible for ACCESS Melb scholarships or scholarships for disadvantage at UMELB colleges. I qualified for ACCESS Melb too, given I was rural NSW.

Yep that's exactly what college is looking for, all round, volunteer work is really well looked on for colleges. What arts related work do you do? :) (I'm an artsy, not sportsy person myself, just general curiosity)

St Mary's has the most non UMELB students yes.

I don't know much about Medley cause it was recently remodelled, I thought JCH still had a form of formal dinner but perhaps not weekly? Can always visit or email and ask any queries to any individual college :)

unihelp

HSC
Yes it definitely would, you may even be eligible for ACCESS Melb scholarships or scholarships for disadvantage at UMELB colleges. I qualified for ACCESS Melb too, given I was rural NSW.

Yep that's exactly what college is looking for, all round, volunteer work is really well looked on for colleges. What arts related work do you do? :) (I'm an artsy, not sportsy person myself, just general curiosity)

St Mary's has the most non UMELB students yes.

I don't know much about Medley cause it was recently remodelled, I thought JCH still had a form of formal dinner but perhaps not weekly? Can always visit or email and ask any queries to any individual college :)
Yes I think I should be eligible. Uh as far as arts goes, I've done public speaking for quite a few years, done debating in the past, work in theatre as production manager, etc.

Yeah I'm asking these questions about ACU because I want to study Law, and I want the whole college experience, but I don't want to graduate Arts and then have no hope of getting into the Juris Doctor, so I'm looking at combined Arts/Law at ACU.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I think I should be eligible. Uh as far as arts goes, I've done public speaking for quite a few years, done debating in the past, work in theatre as production manager, etc.

Yeah I'm asking these questions about ACU because I want to study Law, and I want the whole college experience, but I don't want to graduate Arts and then have no hope of getting into the Juris Doctor, so I'm looking at combined Arts/Law at ACU.
Yes, they love that stuff :) (I was a big public speaker and debater myself in HS) I can't remember what the UMELB equivalent is called, but if you sound keen to represent in intercollegiate oration or debating, they will love you for it. (I represented my college at USYD equivalent in public speaking). And the theatre stuff is always good, because it shows the capacity that you could help backstage for college revue, cabaret, musical etc. events.

For Law, with your rural standing in mind, what's the cut off at ACU? I remember Monash undergrad law being super high and obvs, UMELB does not have it with the UMELB model, but I'd say those guaranteed pathway places for it are extremely high.

unihelp

HSC
Yes, they love that stuff :) (I was a big public speaker and debater myself in HS) I can't remember what the UMELB equivalent is called, but if you sound keen to represent in intercollegiate oration or debating, they will love you for it. (I represented my college at USYD equivalent in public speaking). And the theatre stuff is always good, because it shows the capacity that you could help backstage for college revue, cabaret, musical etc. events.

For Law, with your rural standing in mind, what's the cut off at ACU? I remember Monash undergrad law being super high and obvs, UMELB does not have it with the UMELB model, but I'd say those guaranteed pathway places for it are extremely high.
Oh well that's good to know. I haven't represented the State or anything like that but been in a lot of school competitions for debating and public speaking.

The cut-off ATAR at the moment at ACU is 83, as its a new course, which is realistic, and if not they have AccessACU (which gives extra points for each law or arts-related subject, and there is a wide variety), Principal's Recommendation Scheme for Early Entry, plus a scheme for students from rural/isolated areas. Even failing that, you can do first year in a BA (ATAR is like 58) with a credit average, then move to an Arts/Law degree, so I'm fairly confident I can get in. Monash law is 98 point something I think, and even their Arts degree is something like 88, so Monash isn't an option, and yeah pathways for BA/JD are like 99.90.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh well that's good to know. I haven't represented the State or anything like that but been in a lot of school competitions for debating and public speaking.

The cut-off ATAR at the moment at ACU is 83, as its a new course, which is realistic, and if not they have AccessACU (which gives extra points for each law or arts-related subject, and there is a wide variety), Principal's Recommendation Scheme for Early Entry, plus a scheme for students from rural/isolated areas. Even failing that, you can do first year in a BA (ATAR is like 58) with a credit average, then move to an Arts/Law degree, so I'm fairly confident I can get in. Monash law is 98 point something I think, and even their Arts degree is something like 88, so Monash isn't an option, and yeah pathways for BA/JD are like 99.90.
Cool, well the ACU should be attainable especially with SEAS standing hopefully :)

What are the entry requirements for BA into the JD? Is it like Distinction average plus the LSAT?

unihelp

HSC
Cool, well the ACU should be attainable especially with SEAS standing hopefully :)

What are the entry requirements for BA into the JD? Is it like Distinction average plus the LSAT?
Yeah, a few of my friends will be going to Melbourne and RMIT, and staying in colleges, so hopefully I'll have some contacts down there, and still have the college experience but go to ACU :p

According to the course guide, it's Bachelor degree, academic results, LSAT, and 800-word personal statement.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, a few of my friends will be going to Melbourne and RMIT, and staying in colleges, so hopefully I'll have some contacts down there, and still have the college experience but go to ACU :p

According to the course guide, it's Bachelor degree, academic results, LSAT, and 800-word personal statement.
Yeah most of my HS friends went to Melbourne unis because I came from South NSW, so Melb is a lot closer.

Good luck with it all :)

unihelp

HSC
Yeah most of my HS friends went to Melbourne unis because I came from South NSW, so Melb is a lot closer.

Good luck with it all :)

Thank you very much. Just out of curiosity, which college do you attend at USYD?

HSC
Thinking about applying to St Mary's, University College or Queen's next year. What kind of reputation do they have? I've been heavily involved in theatre and arts, fairly academic but not a natural genius by any measures. Not so much into partying but i don't want to have lots of things to get involved in. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

lawstu

HSC
See http://www.colleges.unimelb.edu.au/, visit the colleges, and ask those that have resided in them or reside in them.

From my stay at UC, Melbourne, it's nice but not Oxford. I have had friends live in Queen's, and they can't complain either. St. Mary's is a little bit of a different story.

Even if you attend one of the rowdier and rambunctious colleges, you can always stay in and study or, if not study, pursue your interests and passions.

unihelp

HSC
See http://www.colleges.unimelb.edu.au/, visit the colleges, and ask those that have resided in them or reside in them.

From my stay at UC, Melbourne, it's nice but not Oxford. I have had friends live in Queen's, and they can't complain either. St. Mary's is a little bit of a different story.

Even if you attend one of the rowdier and rambunctious colleges, you can always stay in and study or, if not study, pursue your interests and passions.
What's different about St. Mary's? And which ones are the rowdy, rambunctious colleges?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)