Memorising essay ppl come here~! (1 Viewer)

bladenia

HSC
N/A
okay, since we all memorise our essays already, the main issue we shuld be havin is adapting these essays..

can you alllll post all the aos, creative, mod a, mod b, mod c questions u can get ur hands on here.....???

wen they are posted here, check them with the memorised ones u got, and see if u can actually shape ur essay, u dont need to do the whole thing,
but maybe a paragraph each question

just to accustome urself with the shaping process.

Thank you!

4play

no it isnt, this is how band 6 students get such good marks. they create essays over and over for the main types of questions and memorise them. then when it comes to the exams they know what their gona write. its not abuse its common practice

Sophie777

Just because something is common doesn't mean it isn't an abuse of the system. If they wanted prepared essays, we would have the entire year to hand in a major work for every subject.

televators

HSC
amen Sophie777- its very sad, i know- this isnt English Advanced- its 'memorising essays 101'

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Sophie777 said:
Just because something is common doesn't mean it isn't an abuse of the system. If they wanted prepared essays, we would have the entire year to hand in a major work for every subject.
it is not an abuse of the system by being prepared. you still have to adapt your answers to the question (which many people dont do well so cant get good marks anyway) and since when was the hsc going to be a fair system even with non preparing answers. it is so open to prepared answers because the questions are basically the same each time:

Module A: how has context shped the meaning of these texts. or about how comparing the texts and their contexts has enhanced your understanding

Module B: how universal and literary qualities allow for texts to be interpreted in many ways depending ontime and place (context)

Module C: what is said about personalities etc and how it is said. or what have you learnt about telling the truth by studying the texts

you basically use the same points and evidence each time you do these questions and it still answers the question (if you adapt the intro and topic sentences appropriately)

Sophie777

LukeBennet, I still don't agree with you. Memorising isn't the same as being prepared. Memorising defeats the purpose of trying to find the most intelligent as all you find are those who sat down for the longest remembering their essay word for word.

This is just my opinion anyway. Enough of this anyway, people can just do what they want.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
yeah but if someone memorises an essay without knowing
or be willing to adapt it they will not get the marks
because they won't have amswered the question
i think its fine because noone can be 100%
the essay question they prepared for is in there

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i dont believe in word for word memorising. i think it is good if you memorise key points and how the points are made and the affect of techniques which i think is just implanting knowledge in to your head firmly. my essay structures are often very differnet but i make the same sorts of points.

Sophie777

OH of course!! I'm not gonna go in there are whats the word.. is it freeball? hahaha no thats something else.. wing it?

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
Be silent Sophie... this is said to be the most important exam of our life.
English is apparently the best judgement of Knowledge too, so anything that can allow us to get better marks in the few hours we have to make our difference is good.

People like you will definitely "freeball" or .. "no thats something else.. wing it?" if your refuse to take others helpful advice and be a poo trodder.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
people do what gets them better marks
and if people do better with memorised essays then they do
if you think that a memorised essay is so bad don't do it
u do what u want
and everyone else can do what they want

Sophie777

I already said that.

Yes well, I don't think English says much about intelligence at all.

We'll all forget this is a year and remember nothing. What we then become and whether we can be successful will demonstrate that.

As you can all probably tell, I hate English. Nevermind me, this is the sole reason I am bitching.

Sophie777

Atotoi said:
Be silent Sophie... this is said to be the most important exam of our life.
English is apparently the best judgement of Knowledge too, so anything that can allow us to get better marks in the few hours we have to make our difference is good.

People like you will definitely "freeball" or .. "no thats something else.. wing it?" if your refuse to take others helpful advice and be a poo trodder.
I never said I was going to wing it. I said I just wasn't going to memorise it.

Seriously, we will all just get over this. Sorry to insult everybody so much.

bladenia

HSC
N/A
superbird said:
at the end of the day the HSC is about how good you memorise
yup yup, and thats true for everysingle one of my subs,

i guess even 4u maths, thats how i learnt it for that sub anyway.

memorising i need to do other wise i do shit.

its the only way i can do better in the exams

mishka

HSC
N/A
wouldn't it be better to memorise EXAMPLES, LINKS and TECHNIQUES so that when you get a question you can shape THOSE into a proper essay??? i think memorising an essay, unless you have been given the question beforehand is a waste of time and a bit risky. you don't know what they're going to ask...

mr phil

HSC
i agree.. i memorised all my stuff except creative writing.. which hopefully should come naturally when the nerves calm. Good luck ya'll

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)