Memorization (1 Viewer)

ncoul

HSC
Hey guys, I'm in the midst of finalising my notes for next term and have some questions to ask.

I understand for English there is no real alternative than to memorize your analysis and mold, if you will, your analysis around the question. What about for other subjects like History or Legal Studies? If I know what the essay is going to be about in an exam, should I write paragraphs when preparing and then regurgitate them in the exam? I've heard that teachers hate memorization, well so they should, but how exactly could they tell? People have told me that many students go by this method. What you guys do when prepping for an essay based exam? What's wrong with memorization?

Thanks

madharris

HSC
N/A
What I do is write two essays (sometimes more), use quotes/examples( depending what subject) that are appropriate for many different questions, memorise them then practice adapting them to different questions

The reason I write more than one is so I can answer a question better as I have more options.

It's probably frowned upon, but this way works for me

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
What I do is write two essays (sometimes more), use quotes/examples( depending what subject) that are appropriate for many different questions, memorise them then practice adapting them to different questions

The reason I write more than one is so I can answer a question better as I have more options.

It's probably frowned upon, but this way works for me
I don't see why it would be frowned upon. I think that is a good method :)

ncoul

HSC
Is it just me or does anyone else think that it's a form of cheating? I mean, an exam is supposed to assess one's intelligence, not memory.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The alternative for English is to have a deep understanding of your texts to apply to any question and solid essay skills.

In the real HSC, you can't rote learn history essays you won't know the Q. So even if you can for the assessment, you should consider if it's in your best interest to practice for the real thing.

ncoul

HSC

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Is it just me or does anyone else think that it's a form of cheating? I mean, an exam is supposed to assess one's intelligence, not memory.
I see what you mean. But how would it be stopped?

D94

HSC
N/A
For Modern, it would be stupid to attempt to memorise an essay. I mean, there can be so many different questions, and may not even be related to each other. It's not like English where you can have a reasonably generic essay and mold an essay around that.

What you should do is have a good understanding of each of the dot points. Then you just apply what you know, probably with historians/historiography, and a good line of argument. You should probably look at each dot point in a question format, so when it comes to the exam, what you have prepared may be quite relevant, structure-wise.

And if there is an essay on a certain point (ie. Weimar Republic), you can also make notes, but structure them in a way you would approach a question. So, include a mini-intro sentence, then the next point to make would be on the first dot point, so make about 5 succinct points about that first dot point, then go to the next and so on.

But the main thing with Modern is to keep reading, use different sources (e.g. videos, audio), and make notes as you go.

D94

HSC
N/A
I reckon there is still too much there; it's not really notes. Notes should be succinct and go straight to the point. It should be a frame work, so when I write Ebert-Groner Pact, I should immediately know what to write. Of course, you need to know this before hand and not the night before. Then if I mention the Ruhr Invasion, maybe a comment about it's impact, I should immediately know what to write. If you need to write long sentences and many dot points, it's not really notes anymore, just a copy of the text book.

HSC
Why wouldnt you you do law you must remember cases and legislation its the same thing

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I reckon there is still too much there; it's not really notes. Notes should be succinct and go straight to the point. It should be a frame work, so when I write Ebert-Groner Pact, I should immediately know what to write. Of course, you need to know this before hand and not the night before. Then if I mention the Ruhr Invasion, maybe a comment about it's impact, I should immediately know what to write. If you need to write long sentences and many dot points, it's not really notes anymore, just a copy of the text book.
Thanks D94. I will consider that when I write my notes from now on :)

Kamal15

HSC
It's a personal choice buddy. I see your still in year 11, try a few things out and see how they work for you.

The HSC is not a perfect system, and it has no way to distinguish between intelligence and memory in essay based subjects. For modern history (and I noticed my notes were linked previously) I found addressing the key syllabus concepts into a few paragraphs very helpful. I then attempted to see if these paragraphs could be adapted to potential questions. When I was happy with them I learnt the key points in them - historian quotes, dates, figures - the stuff you have to learn anyway!

loaves

HSC
If you're memorising your own essay, it isn't cheating in any way.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're memorising your own essay, it isn't cheating in any way.
This.
I personally see nothing wrong with memorising for english, at least (I can't comment on history because I don't take the subject). The only problem comes in when you've memorised an essay and you re-write it word for word in an exam without attempting to adapt it to the question.

Last edited:

madharris

HSC
N/A
This.
I personally see nothing wrong with memorising for english, at least (I can't comment on history because I don't take the subject). The only problem comes in when you've memorised an essay and you re-write it word for word in an exam without attempting to adapt it to the question.
This imo

alyssa21

HSC
N/A
I'm not a big fan of memorising essays, just because I've heard from many teachers that it's really obvious when students memorise essays, and simply word-vomit them in exams. I take some similar subjects to you (Extension English, Modern, Society and Legal), and I'd say the way you prepare for exams is a little different for each of them.

For English, I tend to scaffold and write practice paragraphs. I think some modules of Advanced can have fairly generic questions, so I form my own opinion on certain texts and mould it to the question. For example, Module A, my unit is a comparative study of text and context. Whilst the themes they focus on will be different, I practice writing paragraphs on how texts reflect context, but don't 'memorise' it- I just ensure I know the important points/evidence.

Modern, it's impossible to memorise essays. They can throw lots of different questions at you (for the HSC, I mean), so knowing your stuff is the main thing. I generally like to practice scaffolding essays to past/possible questions, to ensure you have a well-rounded understanding of all parts of the syllabus. In my scaffolds, I incorporate evidence, historiography, etc etc.

Legal tends to be a bit more predictable, as the questions will generally be based around assessing effectiveness/the extent to which justice is achieved, or something of the like. Memorising LCMD [legislation, case studies, media, documents] is useful, and again, just knowing criteria and forming your own opinion is the central thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)