Mentoring and Tutoring (1 Viewer)

Angel45

HSC
Hiya everyone..

I'll also be doing peer mentoring for Torts Law.

With regards to Torts, we’re not lecturers or tutors obviously, but we’ll be running small group session for an hour a week for about 5 weeks and our role will be to guide the group in discussion about what you want to talk about - be it assignments, readings or lectures and together as a group we’ll come up with answers and strategies. It’ll also be a fantastic opportunity to talk about getting used to uni life in a really relaxed and supportive environment and making sure everyone is happy and confident with uni expectations and procedures.

It’s very valuable in building self confidence and friendships, and in improving competence in Torts. There really are huge benefits from bouncing ideas of each other, nutting out problems together and articulating your thoughts. Just one of those is being able to build really comprehensive notes for your exam!

Many groups in fact continue to meet after their mentor has left.

Check out: http://www.uws.edu.au/students/ods/lsu/peermentoring for more info on peer mentoring in general or email me, 15933560@student.uws.edu.au for any questions. It'll probably start Wk2 and hopefully details of room and time will be on WebCT - though Thurs looks to be the day it'll run.

Hope to see you all there!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Hi Angela, were u one of the girls who came to my torts class today 11-1? and Susan forgot u were there??? I'm thinking Thurs id good as I have torts till 1 on thurs and i will alaready be on campus :)

Angel45

HSC
melsc said:
Hi Angela, were u one of the girls who came to my torts class today 11-1? and Susan forgot u were there??? I'm thinking Thurs id good as I have torts till 1 on thurs and i will alaready be on campus :)
Yes, lol. The two of us were standing outside and we thought oh yeah she's seen us (coz we'd been in contact via email and she said yeah come in on Thurs at 12:40 - and we were there then) and next min the class was packing up...hehe. Oh well.

Yeah, Thurs would be good.. saves ppl. hanging round on a friday afternoon or coming in just for that

Well, love to c u there and hopefully we'll get susan to post something on webct. Hope your first week of uni has been good.

L

LaraB

Just a note to people doing Enterprise Industrial Relations -

it's a bitchy crap horrible unit lol:)... and there isn't any peer mentoring for it apparently...

so if you have any questions - i'd be glad to help you out - and for those who don't want help unless they know it's good lol - i got a HD overall - my lowest mark all semester was 86% so yeah - i know it inside out:)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Angel45 said:
Yes, lol. The two of us were standing outside and we thought oh yeah she's seen us (coz we'd been in contact via email and she said yeah come in on Thurs at 12:40 - and we were there then) and next min the class was packing up...hehe. Oh well.

Yeah, Thurs would be good.. saves ppl. hanging round on a friday afternoon or coming in just for that

Well, love to c u there and hopefully we'll get susan to post something on webct. Hope your first week of uni has been good.
Where u the one who spoke? LOL I got lost and got their late (straight after intro) and had to sit righhhhttt up the front under the projector screen (I was the one in the green top if u remember :p ) I actually remember her saying on Monday u guys were comming in and then she forgot lol :rofl:

Angel45

HSC
melsc said:
Where u the one who spoke? LOL I got lost and got their late (straight after intro) and had to sit righhhhttt up the front under the projector screen (I was the one in the green top if u remember :p ) I actually remember her saying on Monday u guys were comming in and then she forgot lol :rofl:
Yeah, that was me!
That building is numbered so strangely... EDG75 is one side and EDG74 the other -beats me!

Hope ur enjoying torts and intro and uni...

j_davo24

HSC
Angel45 said:
Yeah, that was me!
That building is numbered so strangely... EDG75 is one side and EDG74 the other -beats me!

Hope ur enjoying torts and intro and uni...
Thats because they number the doors and not the rooms. They are all the same. And that means that the auditorium has four room numbers. Lol.

sandra

HSC
well i guess i could offer the same help with macroeconomics , i got 94 % so i know it well.. :)

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
Hey, i got an email to do peer mentoring next semester but problem is, it's on a different campus to the one I'm on now, so i have to travel an extra 30 min :\

So peer mentors, Is it really worth it and what do I get out of it? Also, is there further selection? And what does the training entail?

Thanks !

Angel45

HSC
Heya,

I did PM AUT semester. It was good.
U do (well we did) a 2 day training session with like a simulation exercise, learn how to deal w/ different dynamics, what the 1st yr experience is like for diff ppl, how to to respond to diff questions, how to actually run a group.. exercises u can use..ur in contact at all times with the learning skills ppl. too if u need any help.

If another person is doing mentoring for ur subject u get to meet them...make friends with ppl in the training session ( I met some gr8 ppl. at the training)... meet ppl in first yr...it's just good experience generally in u know organsing material for the session...speaking in front of a grp... all that generic life skills stuff... u get to re-fresh urself on what subject ur mentoring in... ummm.. a cert and a co-op gift voucher.

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)