Michael Jordan (1 Viewer)

JayWalker

HSC
Komaticom said:
I think I nailed this one.

2.5 seconds airbourne --> aerodynamic knowledge. When jumping up, exercise aerodynamics, on descent, create drag to slow descent, and you can get that wonderful 2.5 seconds airbourne.

Jumping high is "bawn". Aerodynamic knowledge is "brains".
Basketball trajectory is "brains".
Bouncing a basketball needs knowledge on conservation of momentum, impulse. Landing as well. Bouncing basketball also dependent on angle of incidence and reflection (bounce), rotational velocity of the basketball and its effect due to contact and friction with the court.

I went off topic but covered most stuff. I think I went further than most candidates.. hehe.
I did all of what you just said lol. But i also commented that it was information presented by media which is not necessarily always correct. Refer to post in Physics Forum: Syllabus Point Often Overlooked

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Another part of the passage said "he knows the law of physics that keep him [in the air]".

I basically said this was a load of shit, no law of physics will "keep him in the air", considering that the passage implied that he was just hovering.

jang

is not my real name
HSC
that was a sikk question...
talked about ... if he was talkin about playin basketball on the moon, he might be able to, since the value of g is much lower there in accordance with Newton's universal law of gravitation...
however his comment is somewhat ridiculous if he's playing on earth (which we are assuming so) and his nike soles wont be able to help him reach such a height either.
Galileo's analysis of projectile motion deducing that vertical motion is under constant acceleration allows us to calculate the height mj must jump to to stay in the air for 2.5 seconds.
shit wait.. i contradicted myself from here on so ill shutup. fuck u all its over

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
BillyMak said:
Another part of the passage said "he knows the law of physics that keep him [in the air]".

I basically said this was a load of shit, no law of physics will "keep him in the air".
He can flap his arms like a bird to slow his descent, if he has that much arm hair...

aloquacious

HSC
N/A
Gomer said:
I left this question to last, as i knew i would have major troubles with it. I had around 30 seconds left in the exam, so i wrote at the bottom of the page "I am a fish" and put a line through it.

Seriously.

Well, it seemed like a projectile question to me, but it was rather retarded if you ask me.

-- Gomer

LOL!!!

Agreed, it was such a ridiculous question.. i had no idea what they wanted me to blab on about... so i went on about relativity (motion between player, ball, and court), projectile motion(time to reach maximum height), and Newton's Laws of Motion(vertical forces on the player)... hopefully there'll be something there for them to give me marks for :p

-aloquacious

ddeery

HSC
That was the sickest physics question ever... just because you may be a nerd and not like sport, does not mean that a question about sport is gay... It made me feel relieved that the science faculty could incorporate some sport into the syllabus somewhere... im sick of hearing about rockets and projectiles all the time. Plus the diversity of answers supplied by members here shows that nit was a good question as not everbody achieved the same results. I found that the max height was 7.66m(humanly impossible height... i myself can only get 1.96m :) and im about 99% sure that im right because i can un-modestly say that i am smart enough to squeeze every last easy mark from that awesome question.

hipcat

yeah i got max height equal to 7.somthing and intial vertical velocity to be 12.25m/s. which is all impossible. i didn't mind the question

SeDaTeD

HSC
If you want an appealing sport why don't they put in rugby league? Larger audience.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
ddeery said:
That was the sickest physics question ever...
Woah, you registered just to say that? Everyone else thinks otherwise.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I also went into sports like long jump and high jump where the angle of projection and horizontal and vertical velocities are important

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)