Minoan Crete: Palaces. (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, I'm not sure if anyone else is doing Minoan Crete as their society, it doesnt appear to be too popular. But i'm wondering could we be tested on features of the individual palaces?

Our teacher never covered the palaces in great detail, but it seems like something that we could be asked...

snagrit

HSC
Yes, they can. You needa know mainly about Knossos, Phaistos and Agia Triada. But make sure you also know IN DEPTH about the towns of Gournia and Zakros.

Fake-Name

HSC
Yes, they can. You needa know mainly about Knossos, Phaistos and Agia Triada. But make sure you also know IN DEPTH about the towns of Gournia and Zakros.
By the towns Gournia and Zakros, do you mean what industries, trade, occupations, they had. Or the specific architectural towns themselves?

For the palaces, I have just memorised the key features of each: central court, light wells, magazines, etc. I know some specific rooms in Knossos: pillar crypt, classroom, but I know nothing about specifics on Phaistos or Agia Triada.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
By the towns Gournia and Zakros, do you mean what industries, trade, occupations, they had. Or the specific architectural towns themselves?

For the palaces, I have just memorised the key features of each: central court, light wells, magazines, etc. I know some specific rooms in Knossos: pillar crypt, classroom, but I know nothing about specifics on Phaistos or Agia Triada.
If you check the Minoan syllabus it dictates that for any question they may ask regarding the towns of Gournia and Zakros that it would look at the economy, so things like the industries and the role of the two towns in the economy. I don't think it's too imperative to know architectural features of the towns (unlike the significant sites questions which asks for that sort of answer).

For the palaces it's also good to know they're significance as well as they're physical structures and what not. Also good to note specific archaeological finds that were found there too. For example Zakros was located on the east coast of Crete. Excavations were initiated by the British School of Archaeology, revealing the palace and housing architecture of the Minoans. Zakros acted as the Minoan gateway to the east.

Fake-Name

HSC
If you check the Minoan syllabus it dictates that for any question they may ask regarding the towns of Gournia and Zakros that it would look at the economy, so things like the industries and the role of the two towns in the economy. I don't think it's too imperative to know architectural features of the towns (unlike the significant sites questions which asks for that sort of answer).

For the palaces it's also good to know they're significance as well as they're physical structures and what not. Also good to note specific archaeological finds that were found there too. For example Zakros was located on the east coast of Crete. Excavations were initiated by the British School of Archaeology, revealing the palace and housing architecture of the Minoans. Zakros acted as the Minoan gateway to the east.
Thanks for the clarification! That's a tiny bit of the course I need to learn before the exam.
Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)