MODC: History & Memory (1 Viewer)

Thank_You

HSC
The version that prevails at a given time is a function of power rather than truth

Discuss this view with detailed reference to your prescribed text and ONE other related text of your choosing.

To be honest, i tried to write something to do with the dominance of either H/M over the other. SO, how'd you guys go about answering this question?

Champouf

HSC
I didn't really integrate the H+M concept throughout my essay... Just in the introduction and I mentioned the use of "imaginative memory" a couple of times. :3

I interpreted it as the director/composer/whatever has the power to create their own version of events and they don't have to be completely accurate... I worded it pretty badly because I found the question to be pretty unclear... dang H+M...

monnieb

HSC
Basically truth prevails over power within the texts I studied and that a combination of history and memory present this paramount version of events

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically truth prevails over power within the texts I studied and that a combination of history and memory present this paramount version of events
ok
depends on your text.
for mine it was better to say that history tends to prevail because of the authorities who institute or the power of knowledge
while memory is deliberately linked to truth because despite its fallability which make it seem weak. by combining H&M we preserve the events in a past, in a way that is based on truth rather than because the authorities say so.

dunjaaa

HSC
Yeah, my thesis was centred around how history is shaped by political gestures and dominant discourses of the prevailing status quo and hence can mask the truths behind the representation of certain events in time. As for memory, I argued how it was needed to validate and fill the gaps and silences left by historical discourse.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, my thesis was centred around how history is shaped by political gestures and dominant discourses of the prevailing status quo and hence can mask the truths behind the representation of certain events in time. As for memory, I argued how it was needed to validate and fill the gaps and silences left by historical discourse.
Exactly what I did. What was your text?

STEFAN1000

HSC
Well it did say discuss, and i don't know why some people were turned off by the question when History and Memory isn't the focus it's Representation and Text/Understanding. I just basically looked at the:

- Interplay of History of Memory in Texts
- The power of documented evidence in representation

And it since it said discuss, i just basically said that you can not simply manipulate a representation how you like and expect everyone to agree with you instantaneously, it's also heavily dependent upon the level of truth + factual evidence involved -> And in turn how THIS is represented.

End of the day, you could probably say whatever you liked as long as you talked about the dynamics and power of representation and things like that.

Probs failed lol. HSC#Eshays#NoAtar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)