• We need YOU to help the next generation of students in the community for the new syllabus!
    Share your notes and trial papers on our Notes & Resources page
  • Like us on facebook here

Modeling Tools (1 Viewer)

popjin

HSC
Hi! I'm currently working on modeling tools to map out a software program, and wanted to get a second opinion on the accuracy of my models since my teacher is away this week.

The system is essentially a large number of ESP32 sensors connected over LAN to a monitoring system. The monitoring system is a software program, which takes the sensor data and displays it in realtime while logging all of the data in an excel file. The user can also choose to export a data from a specific sensor or time frame.

I've modeled a context diagram and system flowchart, but I feel like it's not completely right since it seems to be different from the ones in my textbook. Any comments or feedback would be great!

Context Diagram
Context.png
(Is this the correct modeling of an API? What if there are an unknown (n) number of sensors? And are exports counted as external entities?)

System Flowchart

Structure.png

(In particular, is this the correct use of modularization? Each of the "modules" is a different script/class which calls on one another like an API/ADT)
(Also, are the inputs correct if the sensors are over LAN?)

Drdusk

π
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi! I'm currently working on modeling tools to map out a software program, and wanted to get a second opinion on the accuracy of my models since my teacher is away this week.

The system is essentially a large number of ESP32 sensors connected over LAN to a monitoring system. The monitoring system is a software program, which takes the sensor data and displays it in realtime while logging all of the data in an excel file. The user can also choose to export a data from a specific sensor or time frame.

I've modeled a context diagram and system flowchart, but I feel like it's not completely right since it seems to be different from the ones in my textbook. Any comments or feedback would be great!

Context Diagram
View attachment 28044
(Is this the correct modeling of an API? What if there are an unknown (n) number of sensors? And are exports counted as external entities?)
Doesn't matter how many sensors there are, however I think your context diagram is too high level.
The only external entities should be the user and I guess the sensors(I’m half asleep right now but I don’t even think the sensors should be external entities), and the process should obviously be the system. The data going to the user should be the text logs and excel spreadsheets. This is more of a DFD than a context diagram.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)