Moderation for small gaps (1 Viewer)

happyhunter

HSC
So i understand that the top exam mark, becomes the assessment mark for 1st place, however what happens to 2nd place if the gap is small. Lets say 0.3 marks.

What happens to 2nd place who obviously has put as much effort in as first place?

Thanks for the help, i appreciate it!

keepLooking

HSC
Assessment marks are rounded so if you are 0.3 marks off, you are considered 1st too. (That is what I have been hearing)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The assessment marks sent in are whole numbers so that 0.3 would either be equal first or second one mark behind.

If equal firsts then the top two exam marks are averaged and given to both students as their assessment mark.

If first and second then the exam mark becomes the top assessment mark and the second assessment mark would either be equal or one mark back depending on total exam marks for the cohort, the spread, the mean, the median etc.

happyhunter

HSC
oh that it pretty good! I've just got one more question

What happens in a small cohort (11) is only the top 4 preform well? e.g 80+ and the rest get below 70. This is assuming there is a significant gap between assessment marks between the top 4 and the rest. I am interested in knowing if the top 4 get punished for the rest of the classes low scores as they always say the moderation depends on the classes effort.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If the school's marks are reflective of the exam marks then nothing happens as the 'relative gaps' are supported by the exam marks.

There would only be an issue if the school's marks are widely different e.g. some years ago I had a cohort that fell into two clear groups - one all high Band 4s - Band 5s and the other Bands 1 - 2. The gap between the two groups was close to 30 marks and that held up in the exam. The top group were in no way affected by the large gap.

The moderation process takes into account the gaps sent in by the schools - that is why they have to be accurate with it.

happyhunter

HSC
If the school's marks are reflective of the exam marks then nothing happens as the 'relative gaps' are supported by the exam marks.

There would only be an issue if the school's marks are widely different e.g. some years ago I had a cohort that fell into two clear groups - one all high Band 4s - Band 5s and the other Bands 1 - 2. The gap between the two groups was close to 30 marks and that held up in the exam. The top group were in no way affected by the large gap.

The moderation process takes into account the gaps sent in by the schools - that is why they have to be accurate with it.
Ahh thanks for clearing that up! It will be interesting to see how everyone is affected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)