Modern History Question (1 Viewer)

JTJosh

HSC
Hi!

I was wondering how'd I approach an "assess the value and limitations of source x to a historian studying the nature of propaganda in Nazi Germany to 1939."

Well the example is my question, but it's only a six marker, I thought assess questions usually come in 10-12 markers. I am not sure how to approach it. I've attached the source, but hopefully I can get some guidance. I hate asking for help, but here I am :)

I got recommended to use the COMBAT method of analysing a source for value and limitations but I am not sure how to incorporate it into my response.

I can't be bothered anymore, I'm so tired.

thank you guys :)

Extract from Dr. Joseph Goebbels’ speech Knowledge and Propaganda delivered to Nazi members
during political training sessions in Berlin on 9 January 1928

The speaker or propagandist must first understand the idea. He cannot do that in the middle of
making propaganda. He must start with it. Through daily contact with the masses, he learns how to
communicate that idea. It is not the task of propaganda to discover knowledge, but to transmit
knowledge. It must adjust to those it wishes to reach with that knowledge. The propagandist's
speeches or posters that are aimed at farmers will be different than those aimed at employers;
those aimed at doctors will be different than those aimed at patients. He will adjust his propaganda
to fit those he is speaking to ...
It makes no difference if propaganda is at a high level. The question is whether it reached its goal.
My first goal when I came to Berlin was to make the city aware of us. They could love us or hate us,
as long as they knew who we were. We have reached that goal. We are hated and loved.

Modern4DaBois

HSC
If you're still looking for help...
With assess questions you gotta make a judgement. In this case its the usefulness and the disadvantages. Since it's 6 marks, I'd say focus on 3 points for each. So u could do stuff about perspective (Goebbels was an instrumental figure in the Nazi propaganda machine), the content of it which speaks about the specificity and targeted approach of Nazi propaganda ("propaganda aimed at farmers is different to doctors...."), and then probably the ending, "They could love us or hate us, as long as they knew about us" --> link this to how Hitler used propaganda to consolidate power, particularly the Fuhrer myth. For limitations, talk about bias (one-sided and does not explore opposition), and two other things I cba analysing it anymore --> maybe something about this source not exploring the impact of propaganda upon the individual.

Also defo include at least 1 historian's quote to corroborate this source (don't argue against it cuz too much extra work).

Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)