Module A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context (1 Viewer)

Silver_88

HSC
I think that the Hamlet and R and G are Dead question was ok compared to the Wuthering Heights question!! But they were both too specific! I don't think the Hamlet question lent itself to the transformation process and the idea that we are able to gain new understandings and insights, basically that yeah there was moral order in Hamlet and there wasnt in R and G, but what about the other "understandings" that we have gained. I also found it difficult moulding techniques and how the composers use language, death and fate and destiny to "the nature of moral order". When I considered questions from past HSC's I dont think any of the modules from previous years came close to the difficulty we had to endure today and from what other people have said about King Lear and that, it was like woo hoo for finishing English but then it was like crap I wrote bullshit. But it is over and if most people found it hard then they will certainly have to consider this when marking. May aswell be happy that never again will we have to write an advanced english essay!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I did Hamlet/R&G and managed to adapt my ideas / thesis to the "moral order" mentioned in the question. overall I think I did alright for this section.

ashh

HSC
hamlet n ros n guil...hm...not fun.

wat did evry1 take "moral order" to mean??? n howd they answer it. i wrote crap about whatever i thought of, pretty much adapted the essay i prepared n made it sound like i knew wat i was on about...

boz.

HSC
I thought this question was ok for emma/clueless, definetely easier than king lear which MUST DIE!!
i ended up talking about how emma and cher's relationships were based on their perception of others social status and stuf.. and talked about context and values and shiz.
was a bit thrown by the essay form though, we did heaps of practice ones in other text types, mainly interview transcripts gaaah.:eek:

hoomanraviola

HSC
Emma/Clueless= hell. My essay was nothing to do with marriage and the matchmaker theme and the like, so I just ended up vaguely linking points about the way in which gender roles and the value of self knowledge show the texts values toward the qualit of relationships in society. The majority of my essay just ended up being about class, which was the only point in my essay that actually legitimetly fit with the question. Oh well. Hopefully theyll be impressed with the random ways I managed to link the question in and give me a band six anyway. And the fact that I shall never have to think about modules again cancels out how crap this exam was

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
I thought the quesiton was great, I loved it... basically I tailored the response I already got an A for to suit the question... so hopefully with HSC marking I can get a 16+/20 raw.

daniel.graham

Artiste Extraordinaire
HSC
funkenstein said:
i swear that the BNW/BR was the worst question ever!:burn:

i mean it wud have been easier to talk about with powerplay!!

wat were we even meant to talk about with the consequences of control?????:bomb:
Are you kidding? Both texts are all about control! Control over life, emotions, physical attributes, everything. Brave New World: they lose their individual humanity; Blade Runner: the notion of humanity is questioned because humanity is being controlled by humanity. The end.

ashgabee

HSC
I thought emma/clueless was super nice. I wrote about how values and contexts showed the superficial/transparent quality of relationships in social heirachy and the impermanence of marriage

kisschasysunday

HSC
the H/RAGAD question was my favourite of the test. i defined moral order to be the prevalent religious, philosophical and hierachial movements of a time, and said that a study of each text shows the difference, bringing ideas to the fore etc etc. aiming for over 13 in this question...unlike powerplay... ugh.

ashh

HSC
kisschasysunday said:
the H/RAGAD question was my favourite of the test. i defined moral order to be the prevalent religious, philosophical and hierachial movements of a time, and said that a study of each text shows the difference, bringing ideas to the fore etc etc.
oh good! thats wat i did n was told thats sposed 2 b correct (by my tutor whos a teacher so i assume she is right...). hope 4 a good mark!!

JBakaka

HSC
yay so there are other people doing Chaucer's Pardoner's Tale and Raimi's Simple Plan
i actually liked the question, probably because i knew exactly what i was doing (rare for me in an english exam cos i usually just wing it)
i just adapted and cut out parts of my prepared essay to fit the question, got out about 6 pages, pretty satisfied
gl for the rest of the exams

karumi

HSC
man it's been so long since the english exam I didn't realise that I forgot to rant about it!

But seriously ... Emma and Clueless was my best prepared essay and the "quality of relationships" bit really had me stuck. I guess I did write about marriage and social distinctions blah blah so I hope it's alright ... anyway it's over so no use thinking bout it anymore! ^__^

zvezda

HSC
This is for all the BR/BNW people out there...

I'm sure you can appreciate how hard it was to get a DVD copy of Blade Runner, I know I had trouble. It is unavailable in Australia, so we had to purchase a copy from the US, and this was not cheap.

I finished my HSC, last exam was Ext English, and my mum took me shopping afterwards on Saturday. We went into Kmart and what did we see on the DVD stand just as we walked in, in the discount section none the less...

THE DVD FOR BLADE RUNNER: DIRECTOR'S CUT!!!!! TWO WEEKS AFTER THE EXAM!!!! WTF?!?!?!?!

Needless to say I was not terribly happy! I know I might get jumped on by some people here saying you can get copies, but I live in Newcastle where it is impossible to trackdown anything like that.

You would think that the Board of Studies would take into concideration the fact that one of the texts isn't available in Australia, but then again they did write the Maths paper, and make us study Shakespeare...

fadilla.tombe

HSC
i am not sure .Obviously iam starting the HSC course at the moment.

Subject:English Advance. Math General, Physics, Chemistry, biology, and IPT
Course: Medicine
UAI required:- 99.9
All i wish is to get in the course that i am interesting in. I wish all the best.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)