Module A: EBB and Gatsby (1 Viewer)

acidsushi

HSC
How well do you think you guys went?

Did "perfection" screw you over? How did you define it?

:awesome:

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
I think I did okay, although my argument was a bit convoluted at the start.

Gatsby- Fitzgerald believes that society is pursuing a clouded perception of perfection in wealth etc
EBB- striving to achieve moral perfection and equality (sounds tenuous now but it worked, somehow).

While they are both pursuing an idealised vision of perfection, it is only EBB that is "successful"- instead Gatsby becomes an elegy.

In both, they both strive for perfect love as a transcendental haven in an imperfect world.

Didn't really cover the changing aspect of the question enough though. fml.

Last edited:

acidsushi

HSC
I think I did okay, although my argument was a bit convoluted at the start.

Gatsby- Fitzgerald believes that society is pursuing a clouded perception of perfection in wealth etc

EBB- striving to achieve moral perfection and equality (sounds tenuous now but it worked, somehow).

In both, they both strive for perfect love as a transcendental haven in an imperfect world.

Didn't really cover the changing aspect of the question enough though. fml.
That sounds like a pretty strong argument, kinda wish I'd done something like that. Mine was about how perfection can be seen as spiritual fulfilment - something EBB upholds due to Victorian value systems, and Fitzgerald denotes due to spiritual vacuity of materialism during the 1920s.

Felt like it was going to be strong, but I totally cringed when I re-read it. Hardly related it back to "changing perceptions" either. GG BAND 3

BiasedBuffalo

HSC
That sounds good, I wouldn't be worried :)
It sounds like pretty much the same argument I had, albeit in a different structure.

You're lucky you had time for a re-read; I was writing until the last minute :)

acidsushi

HSC
That sounds good, I wouldn't be worried :)
It sounds like pretty much the same argument I had, albeit in a different structure.

You're lucky you had time for a re-read; I was writing until the last minute :)
Ehhhhhhh, mine was poorly worded though. It was obvious I'd adapted a pre-written essay haha

I actually finished 20 minutes early (somehow) because even though I wrote a fair bit, I talked out of my ass 90% of the time ;___;

acidsushi

HSC
Basically both were in the pursuit of perfection in terms of love. Browning achieves this perfection, because her love is pure and spiritual. Gatsby's hedonistic society and the American Dream makes his pursuit for the perfect love unattainable because it's based on superficial and materialistic desire.
I loosely based mine on that, but I talked more about the spiritual component than love - DERP

Champouf

HSC
I talked about the epigraph and how it manifested the Jazz Age's obsession with materialism and perfection. I did an integrated paragraph about how EBB sneered at Victorian England's ideal "perfect woman" being pretty and speaking gently and how Daisy fit the criteria. I also did a paragraph of Myrtle's pursuit of perfection by emulating Daisy and Jordan. My EBB paragraphs were pretty bad, I didn't have much to work with so I just bullshit two paragraphs of how EBB acknowledges that perfection is unattainable with the "silver answer" and how "perfect love" didn't exist even though (according to her) love was a gift for mortals...

(for me) perfection worked really well for Gatsby but not for EBB. I feel like I did it wrong because I remember something about a golden orb being dropped onto her and Robert Browning which is basically perfection... ugh, paper 2 man... Oh well, no more English. :)

acidsushi

HSC
I talked about the epigraph and how it manifested the Jazz Age's obsession with materialism and perfection. I did an integrated paragraph about how EBB sneered at Victorian England's ideal "perfect woman" being pretty and speaking gently and how Daisy fit the criteria. I also did a paragraph of Myrtle's pursuit of perfection by emulating Daisy and Jordan. My EBB paragraphs were pretty bad, I didn't have much to work with so I just bullshit two paragraphs of how EBB acknowledges that perfection is unattainable with the "silver answer" and how "perfect love" didn't exist even though (according to her) love was a gift for mortals...

(for me) perfection worked really well for Gatsby but not for EBB. I feel like I did it wrong because I remember something about a golden orb being dropped onto her and Robert Browning which is basically perfection... ugh, paper 2 man... Oh well, no more English. :)
Nah dude, that sounds really really good! At least you actually answered the question haha, I'm sure you're gonna do really well! :biggrin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)