Module A - Elective 3: Speculative Fiction (Essay) (1 Viewer)

timrie6

HSC
N/A
:( i hated it
die hsc

I don't think my essay made sense

Last edited:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
wat do u mean
it was piss easy
the picture was like how speculative fiction draws on all these other notions and all u ahd to do was talk about its purpose to 'transcend the concrete of our lives' :p

mtarn

The exam wasnt to bad...
not the hardest thing they could of given us
keep battlin but

timrie6

HSC
N/A
gordo said:
wat do u mean
it was piss easy
the picture was like how speculative fiction draws on all these other notions and all u ahd to do was talk about its purpose to 'transcend the concrete of our lives' :p
well aren't you good. i dont care.

V

vanbasten

It was easy. I was shitting myself last night but turned out fine.

petayani

HSC
Yep it sure was a pretty suave, open-ended essay. Still that proved no obstacle, and I still managed to write quite a crappy jumbled one. Meh, they'll be kind to me...maybe........no................who am I kidding. :)

Donshe

HSC
N/A
Yep. very easy. I only finished my essay at 730 this morning, so I didnt know it word for word.

So far, it looks like I'll only loose marks for my structure and flair as the essay didn't "flow" my ideas as well as I would've liked.

Just curious, what did people interpret that picture as?

I just said it was exposing the reader to a broad range of ideas and values whilst at the same time, educating the reader by seeing the subversion of genre conventions to reflect contextual concerns. I know it sounds shit, but I had to come up with something.

:)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I said that Speculative Fiction engages its audience by creating the 'alternate world'. Whilst Speculative Fiction does not conform to the moulds of 'realism' or 'naturalism', its essentially 'speculative' nature allows it the creative freedom to profoundly explore human nature and the potentials of human experience. The combination dually of entertainment and engagement with meaning and exploration make Spec Fic dually a well integrated and impacting genre.

lamchopz

Christian Unionist
HSC
i found the exam quite str8 forward and easy. do u think i have to refer back 2 the picture bcoz i found that kinda stupid since my basically surrounds that idea of transporting the responder in to another realm....blah? i dunno...i think my essay was kinda solid...nothing flash which i guess is wat im aiming for since its my extra unit. du u think that if i do well in this exam that it can replace a unit in advance english coz i feel that i stuffed up paper one...hmmz

i had mixed emotions the nite b4 and went to sleep early....i dun think the question was much different from my trials which was good. hopefully i could replace this extra unit wif adv english....

do u find ext english easier than adv eng??

cheers

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Well my essay was pretty much how it presents us world and situation eclectic and diverse...and how it impacts on the 'vulnerable reader'...following marxist theory on Speculative Fiction.

I was a little peeved how I couldn't involve any of the really good stuff on what genre is...it kinda didn't require it...I guess I was praying for an obscure question.

But it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. The picture was a distraction...I originally got confused over why it was there actually. ;)

In retrospect...the question was TOO wishy washy. I wanted a challenge.

jellybeenz

HSC
Holy Shit. You guys are scaring me!! I found it hard, I don't think I even answered the question properly, I only mentioned the picture once and fuck... I just crapped on about conventions, hardly even related it to the question. I'm so fucked.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
from the given image it is evident that speculative fiction is an ex post facto phenomena induced when a plethora of preconceived notions are placed under a shifiting simulacrum of apotheosised cultural production fashioned by such factors as textual convention, readership protocol and experimentation.

_dies_

University Member
HSC
Well i was pretty pleased, until i realised that i didnt directly refer to the picture, just what it implied and such and now i think how easily i could have slipped in the picture dammit. Ah well.. And i also used three perscribed texts and my supplimentary, so im hoping they dont think i was using perscribed as supplimentary. Another hour in the exam would be nice :) hehehe... I agree, it could have been much worse. I'm just glad its over.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
gordo said:
what would you call it
Ooohhh! Lol. Fight me do ya? Lol.

Here is my spiel...minus the huge words... ;)
During the mid 1960’s, an era that witnessed Science Fiction and Fantasy texts gaining momentum amongst the under 30s demographic, the ‘Umbrella’ term SF emerged. Distinction between the three genres Fantasy, Science Fiction and Horror was difficult as they reject compositional boundaries, rules and definitions. The term SF was applied to incorporate and welcome the melding nature of these genres. SF is an ever changing genre, constantly shaped by current world trends, movements in literature and film and innovations in society. Its purpose is not only to engross the responder but also encourage them to view our society from a different perspective as supported by Ursula Le Guin: ‘SF stories are thought experiments whose purpose is not to predict the future but to describe reality’.

SF is escapist alternative fiction, the ‘literature of the impossible’, encouraging the responder to explore unreal characters, worlds, objects, language, landscapes, industries and customs, often embellished by contemporary societal debate.

Often, SF explores change (especially fantasy texts) and its impact on society. Over time, the genre and its conventions have proved their malleability; changing to reflect progress of society, the human race and it’s relationship with technology and the environment. Speculative Fiction is highly imaginative, highly original and innovative; it is a constantly evolving and appealing genre that throws us into worlds of speculation, enticing modern day responders to ‘suspend their disbelief’

:D

cynical

gordo said:
from the given image it is evident that speculative fiction is an ex post facto phenomena induced when a plethora of preconceived notions are placed under a shifiting simulacrum of apotheosised cultural production fashioned by such factors as textual convention, readership protocol and experimentation.

Um. You know, big words doesn't necessarily mean that you have a good theory. Whatever marker you have is probably just going to think you sat at home with a thesaurus looking up the biggest possible word for everything. Of course, if you speak like that in real life, I take it back. I agree with whoever said that I would hardly call speculative fiction a 'phenomena', as well. Also, I would've put a hell of a lot more commas in that sentence, but maybe that's just me.
'ex post facto phenomena'?
ex - meaning no longer
post - meaning after
facto - meaning 'in fact; by the act, or fact'

'shifting simulacrum of apotheosised cultural production' ?
moving [image or representation] of [to glorify or exalt] cultural production..
And what is cultural production anyway?
Why not just use words that make sense, so that people actually comprehend what you're trying to say? If your whole essay was like that, I pity you.

And yes, I did have to look up most of those words in the dictionary :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)