Module C imaginative writing question (1 Viewer)

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
How much dialogue can we use maximum (or is recommended, if any at all, for an imaginative)? Just asking since I lost marks in my imaginative for the jarring use of language! Thanks....

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Dialogue is ok. I would recommend just having a single character, that way it makes it easier to tell the story. Can you give an example of what was jarring? Was it something along the lines of "he said, she said"?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
As someone who writes short stories for fun, I don't recommend using too much dialogue unless it either forms a focal point of your story/you know how to make it natural. Dialogue is used to reveal things about the conversing parties + their relationship with one another, but I feel this would work mostly in a much longer text than what you'd write in an exam

When I do imaginatives for school, I mostly avoid dialogue by just having one character (or sometimes, when I have two, I tend to use minimal dialogue towards the end to reveal something groundbreaking/leave on a cliffhanger). If you're not confident with writing dialogue, it would be best to do without it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)