MQ: "Easy to get in, hard to get out" ?? (1 Viewer)

ippie

HSC
"Golden rule of MQ - easy to get in, hard to get out!! Hahaha, didn't you know that? Well it's true! Easy to get in, provided you get your UAI, hard to get out... well *grin*"

That's what my lecturer was saying to all of us on Tuesday, but he didn't further elaborate. So what does he mean by "hard to get out"? A friend told me that he knew someone who tried to transfer to another uni, but was rejected twice. But he didn't say why lol. So I suppose this is an example of a "victim" of this "rule".

But why is it hard? And how hard?

X

xeuyrawp

Maybe you should ask the person who said as such, not a bunch of people who were probably not present? We could all speculate until the cows come home...

Sounds like a pretty shit thing to say, imo. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its kinda true, as much as I hate the place and say I want to leave, I'm still doing Honours, I think its the ducks.

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
I think your lecturer meant that its harder to graduate at MQ than at other unis. Thats how it is harder to get outta there.

Monstar

HSC
Dimsimmer said:
I think your lecturer meant that its harder to graduate at MQ than at other unis. Thats how it is harder to get outta there.

this. Not sure how the handle transfers to other unis but isnt it just UAI+GPA?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Monstar said:
this. Not sure how the handle transfers to other unis but isnt it just UAI+GPA?
Transfer to other unis is done by UAC ?

Dimsimmer said:
Not really.

X

xeuyrawp

Yeah see, look at all the speculation in this thread alone. Pointless discussion.

Affinity

HSC
ippie said:
"Golden rule of MQ - easy to get in, hard to get out!! Hahaha, didn't you know that? Well it's true! Easy to get in, provided you get your UAI, hard to get out... well *grin*"

TRANSLATION: you people are too lazy... get your arses working

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
If he meant hard to get out in terms of a transfer its a stupid argument also used against UWS. The only reason its 'hard' to transfer out is because your UAI was generally too low in the first place to get into the other uni, thus you need to get a good GPA to get out!. UAC and the uni you are transfering does not consider what uni you went to and does not care, work hard, get good marks and you should not have a problem.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
juLnHi said:
i think when people say that it means the units are harder to do at MQ which means if you don't study hard enough = u don't get a good enough mark = low gpa = can't transfer out

something like that ...

2:10am .. opening ceremony finished .. time to sleep lol
The Opening Ceremony was great. You could tell the guy behind the Curse of the Goldern Flower was behind some of imagery. Did you see the scene that was created by the dancers and finally by the footsteps of all athletes (<3).

These games and the Greek games are probably my favourite so far in terms of their opening ceremony.

(wishes we had our own MQ Olympic thread, but probably not appropriate).

ippie

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Yeah see, look at all the speculation in this thread alone. Pointless discussion.
ok yeah i can see that now lol. I've come to the conclusion that the lecturer is full of crap.

Cyan_phoeniX said:
The Opening Ceremony was great. You could tell the guy behind the Curse of the Goldern Flower was behind some of imagery. Did you see the scene that was created by the dancers and finally by the footsteps of all athletes (<3).

These games and the Greek games are probably my favourite so far in terms of their opening ceremony.

(wishes we had our own MQ Olympic thread, but probably not appropriate).
omg, it was totally fantastic. The synchronisation was amazing. Bet the 2012 London organising committee are shitting their pants right now

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
It was amazing! I don't think I saw that part, I will need to rewatch it.

footballstar

HSC
ippie said:

That's what my lecturer was saying to all of us on Tuesday, but he didn't further elaborate. So what does he mean by "hard to get out"? A friend told me that he knew someone who tried to transfer to another uni, but was rejected twice. But he didn't say why lol. So I suppose this is an example of a "victim" of this "rule".

ROFL, was this Matt Mansour in ISYS123 during the first lecture.

ippie

HSC
footballstar said:
ROFL, was this Matt Mansour in ISYS123 during the first lecture.

Yes indeedy. Uh I don't like him much (already) and I'm kinda glad we have the other guy next week

footballstar

HSC
ippie said:
Yes indeedy. Uh I don't like him much (already) and I'm kinda glad we have the other guy next week
Booooo how can u say that, Matt's awesome, that guy is a champ. I reckon he'd be one of the more interesting if not the most interesting lecturer u'll have during ur time at mq.

Krustallosice

HSC
ippie said:

easy to get into the course but hard to graduate~ (esp in some 1st yr courses where I heard that there's around 30% failure rate) :S

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Krustallosice said:
easy to get into the course but hard to graduate~ (esp in some 1st yr courses where I heard that there's around 30% failure rate) :S
I'll repeat that this is more of an isolated incident rather than a reflection on the rest of the university, and I'd hedge a bet its due to the sheer numbers being 'churned' out of the Commerce degrees that such high fail rates are maintained. (I could be wrong, since I've never studied Commerce but I don't think that the lecturers are sadists).

I'd also wager this is probably the same for any degree which is overloaded and has a certain 'prestige', accreditation or worth attached to it.

Also ISYS 123 is akin to How to hold a mouse 101 so lawl.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
I think MATH135 has a very high failure and dropout rate.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
maybe he just meant that it's so damn awesome that you'll never want to leave...
:s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)