MQ lib (1 Viewer)

^___^
HSC
i was told plans are underway to demolish the current library building, and the new building is going to be hectic.....

so hectic, is that we are going to use robotic arms to fetch books for us..so that the lib can stay "open" 24/7 :|

my it project management lecturer told us today during lecture.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
... said:
i was told plans are underway to demolish the current library building, and the new building is going to be hectic.....

so hectic, is that we are going to use robotic arms to fetch books for us..so that the lib can stay "open" 24/7 :|

my it project management lecturer told us today during lecture.
Wat a joke, i love it.

-P_D

^___^
HSC
P_Dilemma said:
Wat a joke, i love it.

-P_D

apparently its no joke..the ideal time frame is that the building should be completed in 3-5years time..
might defer till then

Kegs

HSC
It is not a joke. The robot library is coming. I havent heard that they will be demolishing the old library, they are building the new library sorta behind/next to the current one. It is a massive and rather expensive project.
I laughed so hard when I heard about it, and still laugh now, but it is serious. Seriously...

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
at least it will actually fit ppl when they all need it
but geez lol.. the whole time im at uni they're building something. the uni is never going to look good while im there.

... the robotic arms is serious? lol

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
rofl, um, is it really necessary? i can't even imagine how it will work.

Kegs

HSC
It will be a smaller building than the current library. I imagine the current library will be turned into a massive study space, or knocked down for new high rise student accomidation in the centre of uni.

For a demonstration of how it will work, please see Robot Wars.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
My law lecturer told us this too, and said we should 'savour' the 'old' way of doing things (ie. doing anything for yourself) because the robots will be invading soon.

I just hope they have robots that kick the international students off study desks when they are sleeping.... They just need a hard prod from the robots shiny arm, which may just happen to have a tazer attached to the end...

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
haha. robot arms to get our books. I really can't see that working - humans find it hard enough to find books, so I doubt theres any robot sophisticated enough to grab a book for you (particularly if it has been mis-stored).

I can't see any real advantage to that either - less people employed, more energy (not very eco friendly) and money they would need to do that - why don't they just employ humans 24/7? And I can't see how they would save that much space. You are still going to need little tiny aisles for the robot arms to get your book.

I predict this project will be a failure (on the other hand, to have that whole library as a massive study area would be so very groovy).

HSC
N/A
I'm not sure I believe this.

Why the hell is all the massive construction going on NOW, in the three years I'm at mq?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
haha. robot arms to get our books. I really can't see that working - humans find it hard enough to find books, so I doubt theres any robot sophisticated enough to grab a book for you (particularly if it has been mis-stored).

I can't see any real advantage to that either - less people employed, more energy (not very eco friendly) and money they would need to do that - why don't they just employ humans 24/7? And I can't see how they would save that much space. You are still going to need little tiny aisles for the robot arms to get your book.

I predict this project will be a failure (on the other hand, to have that whole library as a massive study area would be so very groovy).
Each book would be tagged with a sort of 'id' and it'd be a lot easier since they could assumably track it electronically and always know where the book is.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
i be graduated by then! why does this always happen? :( (ie train station etc)

ALLLICE

HSC
It just seems so bizarre! Cool though

This new robot library is so crazy it just might work!

...unless of course they develop minds and feelings of their own..become more human than human and rebel against the oppressive reign humans hold upon them... *ponders* :(

Maq seems to be upgrading and expanding a lot lately though... looks like they're really tring to get the uni on the map

ALLLICE

HSC
I'm pretty sure a new library like this would easily cost 70 mil

X

xeuyrawp

asscookie said:
$70 million for a library?? Surely I'm misinterpreting this.
No, $70 million for our library with one difference: Robots fetching our books.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
My god, is this for real? This is really stupid... I can imagine ppl lining up in front of the building, typing the book they want and a robot arm zooms out of nowhere. OK, maybe the library now IS old, but are our asses so fat that we need robot arms to grab a book for us?

-P_D

HSC
N/A
Alas, the skills of bolting back to a book (to check page numbers before someone else borrows it) and stalking the library staff to see if they've got good books in their trolley will be lost...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)