MQ Scholarships - how do they work? (1 Viewer)

Papercutter

HSC
Hi guys!
I have received and accepted an offer from MQ for their "Women in STEM" scholarship (Faculty of Science and Engineering Academic Achievement Scholarship). The email says it will be paid in two instalments of $2500 each for the first year.

Would someone be able to explain how the scholarship works?

Will the instalments be deposited into my bank account (or some other account), or would I have to submit "claims" for purchases I have made which are relevant to my academic study in order to access the funds?

Cheers,

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly, congratulations on the scholarship offer!

This particular kind of scholarship should be a cash payment, directly to your bank account. I believe it is also not considered taxable income by the ATO (though you can use a calculator here https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/Is-my-scholarship-taxable/ to determine if it is). Of course any interest etc. you earn is taxable, but it should be at your discretion how you spend it. Of course, it's probably best if you spent it on things like textbooks, fees, stationary, equipment and transport rather than partying or holidays.

I'd expect you'll be contacted prior to your first semester by either the faculty or a scholarship team to provide them more information. If not, there is a site called ask.mq.edu.au where you can submit questions. They usually reply within 48 hours.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Congratulations Papercutter! As ilikecats has stated above, it should be deposited into your account, and you will not be required to submit proof of purchases of educational maerials etc.

Papercutter

HSC
Thanks guys :)

Since I am not exactly financially well off, this scholarship will help heaps.

I'd expect you'll be contacted prior to your first semester by either the faculty or a scholarship team to provide them more information. If not, there is a site called ask.mq.edu.au where you can submit questions. They usually reply within 48 hours.
AskMQ is a blessing.

Papercutter

HSC
Still haven't heard anything from MQ after accepting the offer. Might have to contact them soon just to check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)