Multi choice Q15 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Wondering what people got and why, seemed like the only hard multi choice to me.

"a block of silicon dope with boron is connected as shown in the diagram below"

i guess that we will all agree they move left, but was it the conduction band or valance band?

zzz i was gonna make it a poll but, "You can only add a poll to a thread within 2 minutes of posting the thread." :(

Last edited:

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
i think i put conduction band electrons go to the left, iirc

Aaron.Judd

HSC
They move left. I put d, conduction band. Most peopel at my centre put d.

Jaspal

HSC
alez said:
i think i put conduction band electrons go to the left, iirc
Yeah i think i did that as well. I forget, that question i didn't really get.

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
dolbinau said:
Alex, I also put that. 15 (d), woot.
sweeeet. bit of a guess
what did you all get for the forces acting on the satellite? forget which number it is

proringz

HSC
So it's doped with Boron, making it a p-type transistor so therefore the answer is.... that's about as far as I got.

dolbinau

HSC
C) (Gravity is the only force acting on the satellite and this results in an inward acceleration).

But what about 5? I might need to start a new topic, the one about the clock - I wasn't sure about that. Was it 0.63 seconds?

Arithela

HSC
i got B as the VALENCE BAND electrons move into the conduction band in order to conduct

proringz

HSC
Arithela said:
i got B as the VALENCE BAND electrons move into the conduction band in order to conduct
I got A, as it goes from positive to negative terminal. I'm not really sure to be honest.

HSC
yeh i put d initially then changed it to b.
it is a p type conductor so the holes are in the valance band. Thus the electrons rather strangly travel through the valance band in order to conduct.

Arithela

HSC
proringz said:
I got A, as it goes from positive to negative terminal. I'm not really sure to be honest.
im pretty sure electrons are attracted to the positive terminal, i.e. to the left

crestor

HSC
dolbinau said:
C) (Gravity is the only force acting on the satellite and this results in an inward acceleration).

But what about 5? I might need to start a new topic, the one about the clock - I wasn't sure about that. Was it 0.63 seconds?
Thats what I got, if i changed the To and Tv around i could get either 0.40 or 0.63 but i reasoned that it would have to be bigger/longer

timmiitippii

HSC
i got electrons move left in valence band...
becoz p-type has holes and holes moves in opposite directions to electrons and holes are in the valence band...
and since it was negative terminal on the right and electrons flows from neg to pos, then that's why i chose left with valence..
i'm not sure if i'm right. :uhoh:

JamesTockuss

HSC
If you used the time dialation formula for 5 you got (c), but since the ship is moving away at a constant speed it's gunna take extra time for the signal to get to earth - so the answer had to be (d)

proringz

HSC
Arithela said:
im pretty sure electrons are attracted to the positive terminal, i.e. to the left
Ahh, but I think that is the direction of conventional current. If it says which way conduction occurs, like the question said, it's from positive to negative.
JamesTockuss said:
If you used the time dialation formula for 5 you got (c), but since the ship is moving away at a constant speed it's gunna take extra time for the signal to get to earth - so the answer had to be (d)
But the time interval measured (0.5s), I assume, would have already included the extra time for the signal to reach earth.

I uploaded for those who don't have the paper:
http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=q15xi7.jpg

Last edited:

Aaron.Judd

HSC
JamesTockuss said:
I disagree. Fairly sure it is c.

HSC
proringz said:
well i got a too, which was a guess, because i had no idea. i can never remember which terminal is which :(

but seeing how most people have put d, i was wrong in every way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)