Multi Choice (1 Viewer)

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
YBK said:
Elders DID lose authority, there's no question about that. LAND = AUTHORITY. Take the land away, what happens?

LMAO, I thought that was a joke option.. seriously, land restorted to them is a result of the colonisation? hahah!... Weren't we taught that land was taken away from them..? xP or lol take away land and then restore it.. ahaahh! sorry lol that's funny..and guaranteed? yeah right guarantee...

and duh it's not breaking the law to take the paper away with you..... The whole state does the exam at the same time anyway. ;)
the answer was actually government policy to give compensation for aboriginals, not to restore the land.
thats why i too thought the answer was D. because SHORT-TERM, as soon as the europeans came, and during colonisation was when the elders lost authority etc, but since the more recent push for self-determination, elders have gained authority within different tribes, etc and the government has been compensating for land, thus making it a LONG-TERM consequence

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
lozin said:
Im pretty sure 10 is A, i know what you are saying but A just looks more right to me. I dont remember reading anywhere about declining theological standards, my textbook just said they formed because they had similar views on issues.
i got A as well because i read that answer during study last night lol

nallask8r

HSC
so the correct answers are:

1 b
2 a
3 b
4 d
5 c
6 a
7 c
8 d
9 c or d i dunno
10 a

if thats the case got 7-8/10 (pretty shat) but meh

Princesa

HSC
karumi said:
Same except 3. I chose A but that's the question I was actually unsure about. Do you know if A is the abolute wrong answer?

i'm pretty sure A is wrong. The question asks for an example of INTER-FAITH dialogue. that refers to two different religious traditions, which means the answer is B. A only refers to one religious tradition (Christianity) thats an example of a development in ecumenism. These are the answers i got:

1. B
2. A
3. B
4. D
5. C
6. A
7. C
8. D
9. C
10. B

The only answer i am unsure about is 10. I don't think anyone else put in B as the answer. I'm not a 100% sure, but when i was studying last night, my textbook said that methodists were more for uniting cos it would allow for better leadership in rural areas where a large number of methodists lived (particularly in WA). Either way, i think i got 9-10/10, which is great. Good luck to all the suckers who have Chemistry tomorrow (myself included!). LOL

Last edited:
HSC
Princesa said:
i'm pretty sure A is wrong. The question asks for an example of INTER-FAITH dialogue. that refers to two different religious traditions, which means the answer is B. A only refers to one religious tradition (Christianity) thats an example of a development in ecumenism. These are the answers i got:

1. B
2. A
3. B
4. D
5. C
6. A
7. C
8. D
9. C
10. B

The only answer i am unsure about is 10. I don't think anyone else put in B as the answer. I'm not a 100% sure, but when i was studying last night, my textbook said that methodists were more for uniting cos it would allow for better leadership in rural areas where a large number of methodists lived (particularly in WA). Either way, i think i got 9-10/10, which is great. Good luck to all the suckers who have Chemistry tomorrow (myself included!). LOL

I am pretty sure 10 isn't B, it does say "best explains"".

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
kangarulz said:
the answer was actually government policy to give compensation for aboriginals, not to restore the land.
thats why i too thought the answer was D. because SHORT-TERM, as soon as the europeans came, and during colonisation was when the elders lost authority etc, but since the more recent push for self-determination, elders have gained authority within different tribes, etc and the government has been compensating for land, thus making it a LONG-TERM consequence
It could be argued that Elders still don't have the authority they had, and never will again. The Aboriginal culture is mostly lost, most aboriginals are Christian now. Obviously some communities still have elders in control, but note the way the the answer is phrased, "some aboriginal communities".

I don't know.. but D to me still sounds pretty weird... especially since it says "guaranteed", because there is no guarantee that the government will compensate for the loss of land.

HSC
YBK said:
It could be argued that Elders still don't have the authority they had, and never will again. The Aboriginal culture is mostly lost, most aboriginals are Christian now. Obviously some communities still have elders in control, but note the way the the answer is phrased, "some aboriginal communities".

I don't know.. but D to me still sounds pretty weird... especially since it says "guaranteed", because there is no guarantee that the government will compensate for the loss of land.
Also, it said that compensation, not return of lands, there hasn't been any compensation yet.

cutie19

HSC
hey all,
question 9 i sed C mainly becoz the question said CONSEQUENCE which generally means a bad thing. compensation for the land is a good thing not a consequence..and the other 2 werent really options in my mind..so i put c. not 100% sure obviously but that sounded the most logical to me and suited the question...

for 10, i put B and was also tossing up between a and b but then decided that as someone sed, a isnt really a reason, and also coz uniting church did work with rural areas - im not sure if thats the reason they formed but they did work with them so it could be right, i duno tho.

for question 2, as someone sed before, i put b at the last minute i originally had a but then changed it becoz yes protection was the first policy, but that had nothing to do with missionaries. protection was to protect them and isolate them, it wasnt to convert them. the converting part came when they tried to assimilate them, thus when the missionaries were encouraged.

other then that i agree with u all :)

hotChoklat

HSC
I'm pretty sure question 9 is D. Firstly, the authority of elders within their own community was not diminished at all: elders retain authority within aboriginal communities regardless, BUT the white man's view of aborigines meant that they did not demand the same respect in australia because white people now had power. Because it says "in some aboriginal communities" it is referring to their own groups so it can't be C. For D, "government policy" = john howard's 10 point plan and "guaranteed" = means it hasnt actually happened, they have just made a guarantee and our govt doesnt keep its word; and compensation can mean money or a mutual agreeement. sorry for the essay

melaniemelanie

HSC
it says in the text book that for q2. it was assimilation.
the FIRST government policy which encouraged christian MISSIONARY was one where they wanted to convert aboriginals to christianity, ie. assimilation not protectionism. but if it really is a and not b that means i got 9/10. anyways my answers were
1.B
2.B
3.B
4.D
5.C
6.A
7.C
8.D
9.C
10.A
im pretty much 100% there all right, except iffy now about 2. good luck to all :) i died in short answer ahaha. essays were good but so broad!

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
hotChoklat said:
I'm pretty sure question 9 is D. Firstly, the authority of elders within their own community was not diminished at all: elders retain authority within aboriginal communities regardless, BUT the white man's view of aborigines meant that they did not demand the same respect in australia because white people now had power.
No, they lost authority. Read the a textbook. With loss of land, elders lost authority.

HSC
cutie19 said:
hey all,
question 9 i sed C mainly becoz the question said CONSEQUENCE which generally means a bad thing. compensation for the land is a good thing not a consequence..and the other 2 werent really options in my mind..so i put c. not 100% sure obviously but that sounded the most logical to me and suited the question...

for 10, i put B and was also tossing up between a and b but then decided that as someone sed, a isnt really a reason, and also coz uniting church did work with rural areas - im not sure if thats the reason they formed but they did work with them so it could be right, i duno tho.

for question 2, as someone sed before, i put b at the last minute i originally had a but then changed it becoz yes protection was the first policy, but that had nothing to do with missionaries. protection was to protect them and isolate them, it wasnt to convert them. the converting part came when they tried to assimilate them, thus when the missionaries were encouraged.

other then that i agree with u all :)
The missionaries were a part of protectionism.

HSC
hotChoklat said:
I'm pretty sure question 9 is D. Firstly, the authority of elders within their own community was not diminished at all: elders retain authority within aboriginal communities regardless, BUT the white man's view of aborigines meant that they did not demand the same respect in australia because white people now had power. Because it says "in some aboriginal communities" it is referring to their own groups so it can't be C. For D, "government policy" = john howard's 10 point plan and "guaranteed" = means it hasnt actually happened, they have just made a guarantee and our govt doesnt keep its word; and compensation can mean money or a mutual agreeement. sorry for the essay
The authority of Elders has diminished. Many elders were killed and things like the stolen generation have isolated Aboriginal people from their traditional elders, thus diminishing their influence.

HSC
melaniemelanie said:
it says in the text book that for q2. it was assimilation.
the FIRST government policy which encouraged christian MISSIONARY was one where they wanted to convert aboriginals to christianity, ie. assimilation not protectionism. but if it really is a and not b that means i got 9/10. anyways my answers were
I just checked my book and it would seem that you are wrong. My book says that there was missionary activity before any official policy at all. It also says that missionary activity took place during protectionism.

OhFourOhOne

HSC
Here are my answers with justifications. I'd actually love for anyone to correct me, just so I can figure out an approximate mark.
I'd have to say this was the best exam I sat. Flew through it. But maybe that was because it was my last and I knew I'd be free right after xP

1. B - Doesn't need explaining. The Dreaming determines a Aboriginals relationship with the land.

2. A - I know this is right, because I had pretty much exactly the same question in my trials and got it wrong, and in those I put Assimilation. Anyone who did the Catholic Trials should know this.

3. B - Damn obvious I thought. All the others are obviously ecumenicals - they all only involve Christian Churches.

4. D - Elimination.

5. C - Along with secularism and ecumenism, the definition of Sectarianism was one of the most drilled in facts in class :p

6. A - Multiculturalism = Diversity of religion.

7. C - Obvious. Drilled in at school.

8. D - Obvious.

9. C - Elimination. Obviously not A or B, and there is no guarantee of compensation for loss of land. They have to prove a continuous link with the land and do you think thats easy? No. One of the stats a memorised in hope to get the chance to use [which I didn't. Shit] Is that 25% of the State is subject to Native Title. That's not much, since Aboriginals pretty much covered the whole area before colonisation.

10. A - This is the only question that really made me have to double guess myself. But I chose A, because the reason was that there beliefs were so similar, which I guess means the answer is A. Obviously they could be accommodated. But I almost chose C.

wazzaisaweirdo

HSC
nallask8r said:
for the government policy ones on christian missionary i put B, because why would u establish missionary's to 'protect' abos? wouldnt you want them to assimilate into christianity?
Protectionism was the Europeans thinking that they were PROTECTING the Aboriginals from "not having a religion" so by giving them one they were effectively "saving" them and thus "protecting" them. Assimilation was when the Stolen Generations happened......

Lauren

Sam66724

HSC
sando said:
its not breaking the law u idiot.. it means u go 2 a shithouse school and that u will probably fail hsc and life.. haha sorry for my cruelty.. i have chemistry 2morrow. its gonna be hell
I refuse to forgive you for your cruelty. Does anybody else think that "sando" (good on you sando, good on you mate) will have a lot of trouble making friends in life because of his shitty humour and lack of sensitivity???

But then again, i guess it's possible for one's whole life to go horribly wrong because they didn't realise that they could take the hsc exam paper with them when they left the room.....

Oh.. and although my year is only small (57 people on average in every hsc year so far) we've managed to excel in relation to people like you. I wonder if the people who have come second in the state because of their education at the school, or have got 99 UAI, would have considered their school shithouse. Hmm..

So... if my school really is shithouse.. it doesn't matter.. at least i've never had to deal with someone as insensitive as yourself. I will make sure that when i graduate from university, and begin my sucessful career, that i think of you and your image of me as a failure.
Oh.. and just a thought.. if your comments were intended to be sarcastic, then i suggest you cut the sarcasm out of your attitude if you want to lead a sucessful life. Women don't consider you funny... Sando. Good on ya mate..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)