multimodal (1 Viewer)

anishaprasad

HSC
does anyone have any related texts for kenneth slessor's poems?

uniqueusername1

HSC

anishaprasad

HSC

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
+
what does challenges of the human experience mean?
i didn't do your text, but challenges could be anything, e.g. the struggle to maintain integrity when faced with the pressure to conform, the struggle to not fall prey to hysteria, recognising value in yourself, learning to self-forgive, just some ideas from my study of 'The Crucible'

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
i didn't do your text, but challenges could be anything, e.g. the struggle to maintain integrity when faced with the pressure to conform, the struggle to not fall prey to hysteria, recognising value in yourself, learning to self-forgive, just some ideas from my study of 'The Crucible'
all eng study has been forgotten since completing the HSC so soz that I can't provide more detail 🤣

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Just to add some information regarding the challenges of the human experience with respect to Kenneth Slessor's poetry:

Essentially, Kenneth Slessor’s poetry delves into the complexities of the human experience as it focuses on our insecurities, the anguishes associated with living and how the viscerality of feeling pain and doubt reminds us that we are human. His images are rather vivid and immediate, leaping off the page in a confrontational way to transport us into various settings through various explicit and anonymous personas in order to invite us to challenge presumptions and engage in a process of introspection.

The paradox of Out of Time challenges our assumptions about time being experienced by humans as a constant – and is primarily shown through the personification of “Time” and the “Moment” as forces in conflict. This personification is suggested by the capitalisation. Time is depicted as unrelenting, violent and destructive through the imagery of “the bony knife” and “takes me”, “drills me”, and “drives through blood and vein” and the repetition of “me” highlights the subjective and negative experience of time, emphasises Slessor’s idea that time is what wears our physical bodies down.

In Beach Burial, the symbols of "blue" and "purple" further stir a strong sense of loss both on an objective and emotional level. Blue represents sadness and purple, used in the Catholic church during Lent, represents holiness and reverence for the dead. By using this highly emotive language and symbolism, Slessor uses sadness to challenge our understanding of conflict. In doing so he brings us a strong, evocative subjective experience of war that can allow us to consider the futility of conflict that costs human life. The shift in language and rhythm – and the use of a blunt expository style and varying line lengths – in the last stanza, challenges the reader.

The use of song-like lyric in the regular rhythms of Vesper-Song of the Reverend Samuel Marsden highlights the disturbing nature of the persona’s desires. By claiming in the title that it is a prayer-song and giving the poetry a melodic quality, the responders expectations are challenged and unsettled when confronted with imagery of whipping and damnation. By presenting this dramatic monologue, Slessor challenges our idea regarding the motivations of people in power and those who are saying they are acting on God’s behalf. The paradox of a member of the clergy who would prefer to whip the damned but still uses the words of the Good Book and God is an indictment to the human experiences of abuses of institutional power.

William Street challenges our assumptions about city life and invites us to reflect personally on images that we may previously have negative associations with. The religious connotation of the word “blesses” before the repeated refrain of “You find this ugly, I find it lovely” challenges our assumptions about the sights, smells and sounds of city life. Slessor’s personal experiences with the city life are used to challenge the reader’s personal experience, inviting them to gain another perspective on the human experience of city life as an individual and also collectively.

Regarding related material, I used The Wave for my multimodal presentation, which is a novel by Morton Rhue that explores negative human experiences that are similar to those explored by Slessor, such as:
  • The abuse of power
  • Bullying
I hope this helps! 😄

anishaprasad

HSC
Just to add some information regarding the challenges of the human experience with respect to Kenneth Slessor's poetry:

Essentially, Kenneth Slessor’s poetry delves into the complexities of the human experience as it focuses on our insecurities, the anguishes associated with living and how the viscerality of feeling pain and doubt reminds us that we are human. His images are rather vivid and immediate, leaping off the page in a confrontational way to transport us into various settings through various explicit and anonymous personas in order to invite us to challenge presumptions and engage in a process of introspection.

The paradox of Out of Time challenges our assumptions about time being experienced by humans as a constant – and is primarily shown through the personification of “Time” and the “Moment” as forces in conflict. This personification is suggested by the capitalisation. Time is depicted as unrelenting, violent and destructive through the imagery of “the bony knife” and “takes me”, “drills me”, and “drives through blood and vein” and the repetition of “me” highlights the subjective and negative experience of time, emphasises Slessor’s idea that time is what wears our physical bodies down.

In Beach Burial, the symbols of "blue" and "purple" further stir a strong sense of loss both on an objective and emotional level. Blue represents sadness and purple, used in the Catholic church during Lent, represents holiness and reverence for the dead. By using this highly emotive language and symbolism, Slessor uses sadness to challenge our understanding of conflict. In doing so he brings us a strong, evocative subjective experience of war that can allow us to consider the futility of conflict that costs human life. The shift in language and rhythm – and the use of a blunt expository style and varying line lengths – in the last stanza, challenges the reader.

The use of song-like lyric in the regular rhythms of Vesper-Song of the Reverend Samuel Marsden highlights the disturbing nature of the persona’s desires. By claiming in the title that it is a prayer-song and giving the poetry a melodic quality, the responders expectations are challenged and unsettled when confronted with imagery of whipping and damnation. By presenting this dramatic monologue, Slessor challenges our idea regarding the motivations of people in power and those who are saying they are acting on God’s behalf. The paradox of a member of the clergy who would prefer to whip the damned but still uses the words of the Good Book and God is an indictment to the human experiences of abuses of institutional power.

William Street challenges our assumptions about city life and invites us to reflect personally on images that we may previously have negative associations with. The religious connotation of the word “blesses” before the repeated refrain of “You find this ugly, I find it lovely” challenges our assumptions about the sights, smells and sounds of city life. Slessor’s personal experiences with the city life are used to challenge the reader’s personal experience, inviting them to gain another perspective on the human experience of city life as an individual and also collectively.

Regarding related material, I used The Wave for my multimodal presentation, which is a novel by Morton Rhue that explores negative human experiences that are similar to those explored by Slessor, such as:
  • The abuse of power
  • Bullying
I hope this helps! 😄
Thank you so much!!!!! i appreciate it a lot ;) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)