Music 2 - General thoughts (1 Viewer)

yellow_sub

HSC
that exam was clearly the biggest load of shit in the world.

since when do they ask for "additional topic" in the essay?????

although, now ive said that the rest of the exam was ok. melodic dictation was alright (even though i cant do it), most questions were fine. apparently line two in part A was a bassoon which i missed but ah well you get that.

i suppose all up it was a fair exam, not too hard not too easy but i think ive got shit marks for it due to poor time management. did everyone get the keys of the instruments and such?

skippielou

HSC
death by music

well i've spoken to a lot of people from a few different schools and everyone is saying the same thing about the melodic dictation.

seriously it was like STARTSTOP- it went so quickly and was over in like 5 seconds. my music teacher is one of the 6 state judges and she said that the melody dictation was hard so if that's any help...

also, apparently the Horn was the third instrument but it wasn't it F like normal. horns don't use a key signature but the only way you could work out the note was by pitching it using your ear? my teacher said it was a Bb so the horn was in Bb which seems super sly to me- did anyone get Bb using another technique/ did it indicate somewhere?

hahahahaha man i just laugh when i think about the last essay- i wasn't shocked to see additional topic because we were warned heaps but that's not saying i did well or prepared. but yeah, i guess the topic was kind of malleable, you could argue it and talk about rhythm in general or something.

P.S

funniest thing ever. so that SHIT piece ...it gets confusing... starts and you know the voice that spoke in it, with the spoken lyrics? did anyone else think that sounded like kevin rudd? if you listen to him talk on TV you'll see what i mean, couldn't stop laughing

p.p.s did anyone else run out of paper for the last question? the supervisors didn't have anymore paper to give me so they were like "write on the back".

good exam technique.

Xcalibur Brass

HSC
The exam was pretty tricky.

I have never heard about horns not having key signatures. I played plenty of horn and always had a key sig, so it made sense for it to be in F.

I (being a cornet player) shat myself when I saw the melodic dictation, but I am pretty confident that I will get 4+ for it.

The essay question was bad. Since when do we have to use a piece from the additional topic? I didn't even study a piece in class from my additional topic so I ended up talking about one of my performance pieces from the additional topic.

Those piano pieces were bordering on the weirdest pieces of music I have ever heard, and I agree with skippielou... we will be hearing ...It Gets Confusing... on the Kevin07 Myspace very soon.

Last edited:

maninventedmeh

HSC
Re: death by music

I lol'd... the exam was as like the presents i leave in the toilet.

Yeah definately a wtf at the additional topic thing... like they knew everyhting about us... pffft... i only did music 2 for the performance anyway... plus.. wasnt this only worth like 30%?

I laughed at the guy as well, too random... who do they think we are, playing shite contemporary experimental pieces that suck the hair off dangly bits! I was insulted, at least play some crazy jazz piece fags! Anyway, english skills came in handy when answering that vague essay thing as well, bs bs and well... BS!

Could anyone differentiate half the notes for the melodic dictation? It sounded like a countinous beat just changing suddenly to fuck u up..... then it gets complicated...

seriously... optmistic? no! FUCK YOU MUSIC! my teacher can burn as well, can't teach for herpes!

peace

eosphoros

HSC
That exam was the biggest load of crap. Since when do they ask you to compare excerpts in Music 2?

And that melodic dictation.. it took me all 6 hearings to finally get it... and i have perfect pitch. Regarding the Horn, is there a Horn in E?

And wtf... all past papers I have practiced on have NEVER asked for additional topic in essay. WTF was that!? and the question was even worse. I had no idea what to talk about! Must have waffled on a lot.

BTW what were peoples answers for the Bar 21/Bar 22 chords from Score Attachment A

Xcalibur Brass

HSC
eosphoros said:
is there a Horn in E?

BTW what were peoples answers for the Bar 21/Bar 22 chords from Score Attachment A
There is a horn in Eb but it has a distinctly different timbre to a french horn.

I had Ab root and Db root from memory, and there were arpeggios in the viola or something.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Hey guys i'm doing my HSC for music 2 next year and what is the additional topic??

Xcalibur Brass

HSC
The additional topic is basically one from your own choosing, but it can't be the same as what you did in year 11. I did music 1945-music25 years ago as my additional, mostly because thats where all the best pieces for cornet were composed. The other guy in my class (yes we only have two) did a musicology essay on 1900-1945 and focused on jazz.

crono26

HSC
Ahhh I Love My Life I Only Got The Key Of The Horn Wrong, Everything Else!!!! Ayeeeeeee

budgeyboy

HSC
i am pretty sure that exam makes me want to kill myself

the melody dictation was disgusting

and the first 3 questions made me wanna jump off a bridge

and to the former poster....

dont do music

jokes... i loved music

just not that exam

lotrhpfan

lurker
HSC
budgeyboy said:
i am pretty sure that exam makes me want to kill myself

the melody dictation was disgusting

and the first 3 questions made me wanna jump off a bridge

jokes... i loved music

just not that exam
omg i agree.

since when do they have transposition work AND chord naming AND the additional topic thingy. seriously, when last yr's yr 12 came out whinging about having to remember a third piece for the essay, they were damn lucky they didn't get our paper. omg, and my friend who's in my class has perfect pitch AND is a cellist herself and still had trouble hearing the melody dictation. she agreed with me that i thought it just sounded like a bunch of noise.

brightsizelife

HSC
does anyone else think that calling our elective topic the "additional topic" is extremely confusing?

we chose film music as our so-called "additional topic within the mandatory topic", so why is our elective also known as the "additional topic"? almost all of ou

i think it would be much easier if they called it the "elective topic". cool exam committee.

we've got a pretty gun music class and that was stupidly hard for everyone; except for one guy who knows all of the works of shostakovich off by heart, so he had finished the dictation by the start of question one. dick.

no more journey ever, yay!

maninventedmeh

HSC
Wait a mo..... seeing as it seems we have all evidently done poorly, will that not mean we will all be scaled? Extra marks? Better UAI?

kazzaaaaa

HSC
homg -_-"
but it was alright i guess - like we've done similar questions in trials papers and stuff.
BUT far out i wrote bass clarinet instea of bassoon.. i even marked on the score bassoon.. but then it didnt sound as woody in a way.. meh.

oh well i guess thats the end of music! which kinda sucks coz i love music.
what did people get for the 2 chords and inversions?

Natski

HSC
WORST.EXAM.EVER.

everyone in my class just started to crack up when it was over because it was so shit.

and now that you mention it, that did sound like k. rudd LOL.

umm, pretty much wrote 3/4 of the essay on mandatory, then 5 mins on additional. yeah.

dannnnnnng

timclark533

HSC
yehhh...it was an interesting exam wasnt it...

In answer to the ppl who were askin earlier in the thread, the chords were Db and Ab (both root position) and the instruments were Bb clarinet, concert pitch bassoon and the horn...yeh i think it was horn in Eb but i dunno...someone earlier said that it sounds diff but actually horns today just perform Eb parts and transpose, giving it exactly the same sound as an F horn. And mozart usually wrote for Eb horn. But im not sure...oh well, only one mark.

ohhh and the melody dictation...i couldn't believe it, it was one of my fave pieces of music...id been listening to it all holidays! so that kinda helped. but yeh i imagine it wudve been hard if u didnt know it. It was kinda hard to discern each note.

and question 4. oh dear. I don't think anyone was expecting an additional topic question so we're all in the same boat i guess. Trust the BOS to throw something like that at us.

Oh, and im gonna go find the guy who wrote 'it gets complicated' and throw something large and heavy at his head. its pretty offensive that that kinda crap counts as music these days.

dancarter10

HSC
it was a pretty damn good exam overall.

horns did transpose to Eb.

and the shostakovich was AMAZINGLY lucky! had that baby written out before the first playing!

the essay quote was interesting but gave you TONS of stuff to discuss in relation to it.

the only problem was differentiating between damn additionals and electives and all that other crap. got it right in the end though thank goodness.

dancarter10

HSC
timclark533 said:
Oh, and im gonna go find the guy who wrote 'it gets complicated' and throw something large and heavy at his head. its pretty offensive that that kinda crap counts as music these days.
how could you not like that piece!
it was quite the interesting piece.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)