Music 2 thoughts (1 Viewer)

tupacalypse

HSC
Was that not the hardest hsc music paper ever. Three mandatory pieces! scheizerr. I'd done the last 6 years of hsc music past papers and that was absolutely the hardest.

celery

HSC
i know! refer to at least THREE works! if i had done more study i wouldve gotten that 10 marks just like that! because the actual question was really easy.

Did everyone find the rhythm/melodic dictation hard??

Red-Wine-&-Joni

HSC
I also think the very nature of the essay question was unfair. It was too broad!! I preferred the earlier models, where we are given a quote and argue for/against it.

I also failed melodic dictation.

lullaby:)

HSC
omg
melodic dicatation!!
i wish that they would just have a count in .. god dammit!!
seriously!!!!!!

i only realised the rhythm on the 6th playing
so much for that..

the essay was a tad specific. but i was so lucky coz i had just read all my pitch notes before i went in..

some kind of blessing!?

I found the last question of 3 hard.. the um.. oh i can';t even remember it.
the contrasting stuff.

gag

hope all was okay..
that was by far the hardest paper though.. sheesh
and how many mistakes were in the question 3 example!!!!!!!

Campbell Robsen

HSC
Holy gosh. That melody dictation really felt in 5/4 to me. But, hey, what would I know. Also - three pieces. That was okay for me, most of my quotes were about pitch, but I really had to strain to remember my third back-up piece. All in all, I thought it wasn't too bad. Hope everyone went well.

cello boy

HSC
... i honestly thought this was the easiest music 2 test i've ever seen....

i mean section 1 was soo very easy, lied is easy to analyse..

GOSH THE MELODY DICTATION WAS HARD!!! i also didnt work out the rhythm till the 6th playing... i dont know why they would give us an exerpt from an impressionist composer... its bull shite!

section three was easy enough, easy concepts; expressive techniques and duration...

i thought the essay question was dead easy, there was so much to write on it. Yes it was broad, but still was great to just dumping information! The three pieces bit was a bitch though..

All in all i thought it was a great paper but i don't know, there is a good chance i didnt have a clue and thought all myt answers were right but were actually way off lol

goodluck all with the rest of your exams:)

lindo

HSC
cello boy said:
GOSH THE MELODY DICTATION WAS HARD!!! i also didnt work out the rhythm till the 6th playing... i dont know why they would give us an exerpt from an impressionist composer... its bull shite!
totally agree! what the!? the melodic dictation of the past few years has been completely fine, but i found this so hard! the fact that whe had to use three pieces was whack - one of mine was completely ridiculous because i'd only studied 2.. but i thought it was weird that they didn't give us a proper essay question as such? as in there was nothing to ARGUE, it was like they WANTED us to just list techniques, by just asking 'how' the composers use pitch? it was a bit insane...

Last edited by a moderator:

katie mybz

HSC
THREE PIECES FOR THE ESSAY - i did two in so much detail and had really had to strain for the third - they have never asked for more than 2 - grrrrr
dont even tlk to me about melodic dictation *shudder*
the rest was fine tho - it was quite fair. hopefully ill make up for the dictation there :)

paulpang22288

HSC
I myself thought the melodic dictation was quite interesting. For weaker students they would certainly get pwned due to the apparent 5/4 rhythm. And also, the last two notes of the last bar, the minims E flat -> (low)F sharp... i don't think many people would have got that.

There was one question that asked us to describe ONE way of varying the theme or something.. now THAT was hard to get 3 marks.. unless you describe it in GREAT DETAIL.

Ha.. I think everyone would have thought that "Gosh, if the question only asked for 2 works, it would have been a SNACK!" Sure. That's why they asked for three works. But they would've done it better by asking for 2 Mandatory Works and 1 Additional Topic Work. That would allow a wider scope of works to be assessed.

Geez, such an insane exam. I wish I did the music exam last year.. it would have been much easier.. hehe^^"

PS: see the melodic dictation piece again!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ScC3azEnU

Last edited:

celery

HSC
paulpang22288 said:
I myself thought the melodic dictation was quite interesting. For weaker students they would certainly get pwned due to the apparent 5/4 rhythm. And also, the last two notes of the last bar, the minims E flat -> (low)F sharp... i don't think many people would have got that.
do you have perfect pitch or something?

i reckon, besides the melodic dictation and them asking for 3 works, the rest was pretty straight forward. glad its over!

bobismyhomeboy

HSC
the melody dictation rhythm was weird, i found the rhythm fine, just the pitch especially in the last 3 bars, that was just insane!

QUOTE: paulpang22288
"the last two notes of the last bar, the minims E flat -> (low)F sharp... i don't think many people would have got that. "

yes i got the F sharp! but i had an E natural...close enough? do they even give half marks in melody dictation? at least it was better than sum past hsc and catholic papers where theres been rubato in the dictation...now THAT im glad we didnt get!

how about in question 3 where it asked for only THREE places that showed the relationships between the instruments or sumthing....did anyone else quote huge "places" eg. b20-36 so that you could fit in at least 2 points per "place"? hahaha o dear.....coz how can u argue a point from just stating 1 bar/phrase where sum sort of instrument interaction takes place? u cant argue it unless u have at least 2 places where it happens, and then theres already 2 "places" gone and ur left with only 1 more place 2 talk about. they were so specific this year! "refer to ONE way... name TWO instances..." argh!

essay question- why was it so broad and since wen did they become so mean and ask for 3 works!! i agree, they couldve at least ask for one 2 be an additional topic work.....and to talk just about one concept.....

PS: wat do ppl think a good mark for this paper would be?

im usually a 26/27 outa 35, now im js hoping for anything above 60%!

PPS: wat type of marks did ppl get for trials? and wat generally is classified as a "good" mark for the hsc?

Red-Wine-&-Joni

HSC
I agree whole-heartedly with the comment about the Melody Dictation being in 5/4. I spent the first three playings trying to work out why the repeat of the phrase didn't occur on the down beat. That was unfair.

The essay question I think is just problematic in that we couldn't say "Oh, they want me to say ____________________". Which is probably a good thing, as it meant we had to think and not just spit out things that the markers want to hear - having said that, it still threw me a little.

As for the Relationships between instruments in Q3, I wrote about parts imitating each other, stuff like that.

BUT I did get the Ornament question wrong.

Am aiming for 25-27 out of 35, probably a little less. Is this a good mark? What will that scale to?

sadj89

HSC
ohh what a nice paper!!

being a violinist, and the prokofiev concertos being my favourite pieces i realise i was a bit lucky :rofl:

oh - and for all you guys - the concerto IS originally written in 5/4 time, that was put in there to put you off! =D

again - i agree. the last question i would have much preferred it had it been one of those quote questions. I found this pitch one to be far too general.

one more thing: did anyone else absolutly love the brahms piece?
i think i was feldeinsamkeit. :)

zumlin

HSC
sadj89 said:
ohh what a nice paper!!

being a violinist, and the prokofiev concertos being my favourite pieces i realise i was a bit lucky :rofl:
bastard

Bastard

BASTARD!!!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
How hilarious, my music 2 student this year insisted he'd only have notes for works for the essay. I said it was best to have a third one handy. I'd say this every lesson. He'd say nah.

I can't wait to speak to him next.

So the essay was about pitch on 3 pieces?

daiseydai

HSC
gosh. reading this thread makes me feel infinitely better. i completely failed melodic dictation. i didn't realise the rhythm till about 4th playing where by then i had to rub everything i'd written out rewrite it. the given C in the bar confused the shits out of me, and the other half of the melody just collapsed. i hope i got the melodic contour right atleast. i really liked score attachment B, making angels. seriously, a delightful piece, i enjoyed analysing it. and as for the essay question, i had only prepared for two as well so i pulled in a third work last minute, and briefed on very general comments not being able to offer much specifics like quotes or bar references. and pitch!? GOSH. atleast give us 2 concepts. they really wanted down to the nitty gritty didn't they? i'm thankful one of the pieces relies completely on discord and dissonances otherwise i wouldn't know what to say. i'm glad there were no transpositional questions though. they always confuse me so much. overall though, i would say the paper was better than most catholic trials.

zumlin

HSC
haha it would suck to be him, and yes that's what the question was

bkramer

HSC
Why is there no vomitting emoticon?

Did anyone else look at the melody dictation during reading time and thought to themselves that it would be piss-easy? And then wanted to cry when it was played through all 6 times and had just figured out the first two bars?

And gosh, you nerds stressing about not having quotes for your mystery third pieces - try NO QUOTES! That's right. Nice and vague is how I like my essays. So just take comfort in the fact that there's someone worse than you. And it's me.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You know, depending... you could have used your core performances as your third analysis...

quirkygirl

HSC
aghhhhh Music 2. Failed the melody dictation, so did half my class, and the essay, ???????????? That gave me a shock and a half, seeing as i didn't even look at more than two mandatory pieces to study this week.... i was more worried they'd give us additional topic,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

So i hope i get ....20/35 because the other sections (although really specific) helped me get more marks, !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)